Drag Boat photos 11/07 (1 Viewer)

And you have NO idea what it took to get the Rocket into the show much less the final. I would say that nobody thought that the boat would make it to the first round after all that damage much less the finals. So for now I am off for some much needed sleep.

That was an unreal thrash!!!!! Congrats to all the "Toxic Rocket" crew. We will have a pretty cool photo essay describing what Mr. Barnes is talking about. Will post a link as soon as it's up.

Just updated with more sarcasm and a half a dozen more pictures.
Enjoy!:p

Thanks Mark I did find it finally, boy TFH really fell off this year! I remember in '05 the 8 boat bump was a record 5.19! And I think over a dozen 4.90 or quicker passes were made. The Twin screws must have really priced a lot of guys out of it!:confused:

No, the lack of a stellar TV package, the rising costs, and limited exposure for such an animal has hurt the top fuel field. These guys are doing this because they love it. And that doesn't pay the bills.
I love boat drags. No money, but lots of dedication. True love for the sport.

Buzz - Absolutely beautiful pictures!

I was at the race on Saturday and shot a few pictures with my 70-200 2.8 lens from the stands, but my shots are no where near as good as yours. What lens were you using and where did you shoot from?

Great Gallery Buzz!!!

I've never been to the boat drags, but that has certainly wetted (pardon the pun) my appetite. Thanks for sharing, really great job.

Cheers
Paul.

I really hope to check out a hot boat race this coming year.

Thanks for the pics Buzzz.

DLB

We were there with lots of friends and guests, so we just squoze off a few from the stands. Sounds like the same lense. I tried a circular polarizer for the light that day and the colors really came out nice, as did the water. Paul took shots with that same lense without the filter, and his look fine as well. Many of the shots there were his on that page.
I did post them in fairly high definition, and that really helps the viewing.
Sorry, I did not see you there. Would have said howdy. Havn't hung around the dragster scene lately. You still running?

buzz what are the classes that drag boats, do they have classes like drag racing and do they have sportsman racers. Looks cool, wonder how it feels to be in the cockpit of one of those boats

buzz what are the classes that drag boats, do they have classes like drag racing and do they have sportsman racers. Looks cool, wonder how it feels to be in the cockpit of one of those boats

Anthony they have River racer which is 12.00 index, Stock eliminator 11.00, Top eliminator 10.00, Modified 9.00, Pro eliminator 8.00, Pro mod is a 7.00 sec. class. All classes quicker than 8.00 must run a capsule! Than you move into the Pro catagories: Top Alcohol Flatbottom, Top Alcohol Hydro and TF Hydro!

Classes have been dropping due to low boat counts.
The basics are top fuel hydro, top alcohol hydro, top alcohol flatbottom, and then they start brackets. Pro Mod is the quickest bracket, and down from there. They used to have blown gas fields as pro classes, they also had pro gas flat and pro gas hydro that were pro stock on the water. Some of the larger races still have pro gas at some events, but not the IHBA stuff.
How does it feel in a capsule. Depends of if you are sane, or have a recent frontal labotomy. If you are sane, you want out! NOW! Then the other class of people drive drag boats.
The circle classes have been attending the drag boat outings recently. They put on a great show. 5 mile total course, and deck to deck paint swaping action. Good stuff.
*Woops, joe beat me to it.*

That was an unreal thrash!!!!! Congrats to all the "Toxic Rocket" crew. We will have a pretty cool photo essay describing what Mr. Barnes is talking about. Will post a link as soon as it's up.

Mark

Thank you for the kind words and article. Just one correction though I didnt go to the complete engine till the final round, I am very proud of the guys on the engine for doing the service first and second round as tirerd as everyone was.

Now its time for some much needed rest till January and testing with a new FC

Last edited:
Mark

Thank you for the kind words and article. Just one correction though I didnt go to the complete engine till the final round, I am very proud of the guys on the engine for doing the service first and second round as tirerd as everyone was.

Now its time for some much needed rest till January and testing with a new FC

Sean, We will contact the powers that be and try to get that corrected, along with several other mistakes :(. I appreciate Jeff @ DRO for covering IHBA.

Got some shots of the action last weekend. Thought you may be interested.
2007 IHBA World Finals
Feel free to right click and "Save as" if you desire.

*I will be adding a few pictures in the next few days, so feel free to check back in for more action. I just ran out of time for now.*

Just a note of interest: The second shot in this series is of Kebin Kinsley in the Kinsley/Pucilio TAH Hydro 'Bad Habit'. As many of you may already know, Kebin also owns and drives the Wild Child TAFC in Division 4. Kebin is a 15 time Champion in Drag Boats and has driven both TAH and TFH over the years, and a few years ago eclipsed Eddie Hill's previous position as the fastest driver in the quarter mile on both land AND water, at over 235 mph.

What a lot of folks don't know is that Kebin has done a great deal of promotion for several charities both on and off the track. I have been fortunate to work with Kebin in his promotional work for the Children's Miracle Network and some of the individual pediatric patients and families served through this great organization (cmn.org), and we have also been able to do some hands-on work with a grassroots program entitled 'Soldiers Angels' (soldiersangels.org), whose name appears on the sponson in the photo, just under the Bad Habit name.

We are currently beating the bush for sponsorship for both the TAFC and the TAH for 2007, a program that includes an expanded program of the pediatric hospital visits and ticket promotions we have done for the past few seasons on behalf of the kids and the soldiers. Finding sponsorship is tough as many of you know and appreciate, and finding an appropriate sponsor that is willing to provide even the minimal extra funding to do the outreach efforts makes it just a little tougher yet. But we believe that the unique sport of drag racing, whether on land or water, or both, is an ideal medium in which to build a program of fund raising and awareness for some proven and trusted charities. Over the past few years we have done several grassroots fund raising contingencies at NHRA events to benefit the Children's Miracle Network as a way to test the interest and feasibility of creating an ongoing program within a broader sponsorship. In every case we found the racers to be incredibly generous and supportive. It is our hope that in 2008 we can put a program in place to provide support to both of our designated charities, and the kids and soldiers they serve.

Thanks for posting the pictures it was a treat to see the Bad Habit as one of your picks for posting......keep us in your prayers, and if you feel so inclined, check out both of the websites above and support them if you can.

rjs

Great stuff, Buzz.

Sounds like you've had to put up with a few hosers along the way..hehe.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back