60's drag racing photos taken by my father, Darwin Busch (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
I have finally gotten around to editing and uploading some pictures taken by my father, Darwin Busch. I'm not sure of the exact years they were taken but I'm guessing roughly 1965-1969. They were taken with a Mamiya-Sekor 500 DTL 35mm on slide film and just scanned over the past few months. I doubt anybody except for family and close friends have seen these pictures until now.

Tracks include Cordova, Rockford (Byron) and Great Lakes Dragway. Some of the names: King Cuda, Color Me Gone, Terry Hedrick's Seaton Shaker, Banzai, Ed Schartman, Chi Town Hustler, Fontanini & Nannini, Drag-On-Lady, Grumpy Jenkins, Sox & Martin, Dyno Don Nicholson, Jim Guthrie, Checkmate, Huston Platt Dixie Twister, Hayden Proffitt, Dale Hugger, Arnie Beswick, Bourgeois & Wade, Brutus, Jungle Jim, Shake Rattle & Run and more.

If you have a Facebook account please feel free to tag the pictures or add any info you might know. I have more to go through so please check back later. If for some reason you can't view them on FB let me know and I'll upload them to Flickr. I hope you enjoy them. :)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.776284505734579.1073741847.714251135271250&type=1

Last edited:
Very cool! Phil Burgess just had a lot to say about cars with cameras mounted on them. That "Top Dog or Dawg" Aero FED doing a wheel stand in two photos has a camera mounted with that tripod setup he talked about. Wonder if the photographer ever got any usable shots from that wheel stand....Cool stuff.

Thank you. I grew up watching these cars run at strips in Indiana and Ohio like Edgewater in Cleves, OH. What a thrill to see them again. I would guess most of the photos are from the summer of 69 because we lost John Mulligan at Indy that year and there are several photos of the Beebe and Mulligan car.

Thank you Mr. Busch !! Just drifted away for a bit to cool time in history..........

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back