Crew chief change at DSR (1 Viewer)

Man they sure don't give much time to get things sorted out. That is a shocker to me. I know they didn't run great at the end of 2013, and the PBIR test for TJ jr could have been better, but I don't know that a lot of the teams were learning anything down there with the conditions what they were. If you were a little lost, and trying to find your way back, it was just bad timing to be down there that particular week.

Rob comes off as a pretty cool guy, I hope he lands on his feet with a new team soon.

After they had a great year they fire him after a bad test session?? I hope he lands on his feet somewhere *cough*JFR*cough.*

I just listened to RPM2Night podcast, RW said it was done over the phone?? ("Shoe called me up") That sucks.

I have never seen any other team drop tuners faster than DSR. I understand it's a business, but sometimes s__t happens beyond the control of the tuner. Usually the only time you see someone leave JFR is when they quit.

There's not a whole lot of things in the business world that I respect less than firing someone over the phone. I know I'm not some big player in the business world, but that sort of chickenshift behavior from management certainly hurts any sort of team chemistry. People get motivated to win because they care about the team and the teammates. People get motivated to find a better job when stuff like this happens in a less-than-tactful manner.

That's because John Force actually knows how to treat his employees!
What happened to Austin Coil, why did he leave the team, and why does he have no desire to talk to John? My point being, every team has issues with people that many of us don't know all the details behind it. Things at JFR aren't perfect either.

As far as doing the firing over the phone, it happens all the time especially when you have people working/living in different parts of the country. It isn't chickensh*t, it's business. Sometimes you need to make tough decisions in a timely fashion and when the logistics don't allow for the timely part to happen, you have no other choice but to do it over the phone.

I believe the team is based in Indy and Don lives in Chicago. That makes the "eye-to-eye" talk a little more difficult.

I've been involved in these situations several times, unfortunately, and there's no good way to do it.

Speaking for myself, it needs to be done face-to-face, no matter their respective locations. When it comes to DSR, they represent the elite that the sport has to offer, so locations probably had little to do with it. On the flip-side, of all the dismissals I've administered or been a part of, a high percentage of those resulted in comments like, "You had to call me in here for that?!". I believe that any professional in the position of having that level of authority should always be conscious of the individual's dignity, regardless of the situation.

Just my .02

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back