"Countdown" begins to backfire????? (1 Viewer)

Somebody said how a dnq now hurts more. I don't know those guys who dnq'd are still closer to first now then they were before the points shaving happened.

I didn't think it was possible but I like the countdown less and less as time goes on.

Maybe they (NHRA/ ESPN) can replace "Selzi Says" in 2008 with "PJ's why I hate the Countdown" series. I have to admit I am not fond of it either. I thought there was a pretty good countdown last year in TF and FC. This year it would have been Capps & Hight and Fuller and Shoe (and maybe a few others). In PS, Connolly may have closed in on GA by the Finals to make it interesting.

Hey, this is just NHRA's version of "debris on the track" with 30 laps to go - makes the finish interesting by tightening up the field.

They bumped everyone in the chase to 2000 points and kept everyone else at their original point total making it impossible for #9 to mount a charge and win the actual championship.

Maybe I don't understand what Bobby is saying. I read that as a slam against the guys that didn't make the cut and he didn't think they deserved to be in the top 8.
Robert,
No slam was intended at all to the competitors. What I was alluding to was the fact that the NHRA has set up their top 8 heros with nobody else capable of earning their way ahead of them using their new system. Then, just when they start under their "New" program some of those who have been shut out shine ahead of the heros to the point where some heros don't even qualify at the first race of their "countdown to four" which was created to increase excitement. Seeing some of their top eight on the sidelines kinda backfired with their intended excitement, I thought?

It was much akin to NASCAR's chase last year where Tony Stewart didn't make it in yet made mincemeat out of those who did in the final races making way too many NASCAR fans go "HUH?"

Robert,
No slam was intended at all to the competitors. What I was alluding to was the fact that the NHRA has set up their top 8 heros with nobody else capable of earning their way ahead of them using their new system. Then, just when they start under their "New" program some of those who have been shut out shine ahead of the heros to the point where some heros don't even qualify at the first race of their "countdown to four" which was created to increase excitement. Seeing some of their top eight on the sidelines kinda backfired with their intended excitement, I thought?

It was much akin to NASCAR's chase last year where Tony Stewart didn't make it in yet made mincemeat out of those who did in the final races making way too many NASCAR fans go "HUH?"

I got ya and I agree. And I hate to keep bringing up GA but he had such a lead and nothing to gain so he slacked off a couple of events and did some testing.

If it was last year and he kept pounding away would Dave or anyone else have caught him. I don't think so. And now the big deal is team orders. I think the dumbest decision made this year was when Melanie was beaten by Morgan. It just keeps getting worse. This new deal is a farce.

Sorry, I'll quit and try to find some cheese. Some of these newbies on here just don't get it. :rolleyes:

Thought I better qualify that I didn't mean newbie to Mater.

Last edited:
There's always the possibility that he would have lost it anyway. I think his lead was just over a hundred points and may have been below a hundred after second place Dave won Indy (now better known as first place Dave). The advantage he has had appears to be gone and with so many good cars,anybody can win it from any position. KJ is running very well and don't count him out,he's moved up to fourth,one point out of third. Besides,would a new P/S Champ other than SSR be a bad thing?:rolleyes:

I disagree Mike. Dave won Indy and the kid deserved it. He works very hard and earns anything he gets. I'm happy for him that he finally has some ponies to go along with the talent. But GA has dominated the last several years and I think Indy was an exception and will not be the rule. Let's see how they compare in the following weeks.

Maybe they (NHRA/ ESPN) can replace "Selzi Says" in 2008 with "PJ's why I hate the Countdown" series. I have to admit I am not fond of it either. I thought there was a pretty good countdown last year in TF and FC. This year it would have been Capps & Hight and Fuller and Shoe (and maybe a few others). In PS, Connolly may have closed in on GA by the Finals to make it interesting.

They know I'm available to help fix whatever they need. They even have a list some ideas already;)

I think this weekend proved just how crappy of a deal this is. Look at poor Hot Rod, went from a runaway 1st place position to 3rd in one event, as consistent as that team has been all year, I have no doubt in my mind they could have held on and won the championship. The end of the season is when Alan Johnson always kicks it in high gear, and now you know its gonna be the same champ again this year thanks to this wonderful chase. I just feel really bad for Hot Rod if at the end of the year he is not standing on stage as the champ, because he has more than earned the number one position so far, and if he loses the championship all because of this chase, I would say we will have alot of angry fans out there. Who is keeping track of actual points? I would love to see what the TF points would have been after Indy if it wasnt for this chase.

Re: "Countdown" begins to backfire????? PJ is Right!

All the "Countdown" has done is mess up a good Championship season.
It basically give guys who had no earned chance for a season Championship a second chance and guys who have earned a substantial points lead and the potential to win a Championship, get that earned position taken away.:mad:
This is on major Boondoggle, and I, for one, hate it!

This is just a big mess. NHRA has a big problem and it needs fixed when it comes to qualifying. They have to have 2 night sessions. They have too. I am getting sick and tired of this one shot qualifying session that if you dont get in then your done, especially when during the other sessions your the quickest or one of the quickest. You have to have night time qualifying for the fans so the only way I see to fix it is to add another night session.

I disagree with adding more night sessions, unless the eliminations are held at night.

I love night racing, however, if you cannot qualify in the daytime when most of the eliminations are held, and can only get into the field by having one good run during the night session, then what have you(the racer) proved?

You could be the racer that makes one good night pass and gets into the 16th spot, and you could be the racer whose night run blows, but your day runs would have put you in the 16th spot, had only day runs been used for qualifying.

The chances of the one good night run racer going out on the first round of eliminations are greater than the crappy night racer with more consistent day runs reaching the finals.

Just my opinion.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back