"Countdown" begins to backfire????? (1 Viewer)

C'mon - do y'all want cheese with that wine?

Everybody had 5 freaking tries at qualifying!

I thought the "race" to the countdown got really exiting toward the end. I suspect the cutting down to 4 will be really tough. Let's give this a chance.

I don't know if Indy (historically) is a well-prepared track or just needs to be re-surfaced but, it looked (on TV) that the lanes were, at least, equal (though not "killer").

Who wouldn't want to see Whit, JR, and JF in the race? That's what makes our sport interesting. No owner's points - no yellow flags for phantom debris with 10 laps to go.

If the groove gets bad in a Cup race,they can find another one but that's not an option in drag racing.

Then go watch a roundy round circle jerk.
Its already BS that Capps lost his 100+ points lead and after one round of racing has also lost the " Points Lead "

Last edited:
Then go watch a roundy round circle jerk.
Its already BS that Capps lost his 100+ points lead and after one round of racing has also lost the " Points Lead "

I feel your pain, but it happens in the stick and ball sports all the time. For example, a few years ago the Seattle Mariners won more than a 100 games in the regular season and were then knocked out in the first round of the playoffs by a wild card team. I may not be a big fan of the Countdown but as long as all teams are playing by the same rules I really can't complain.

What bugs me about the play-offs is that ALL the teams are playing.... Think it should only be the top eight only for the final seven races... with a race in each division.... and whoever wins the most out of the 28 rounds of racing is champ...

simple, to the point... and a good TV package.... live....

What bugs me about the play-offs is that ALL the teams are playing.... Think it should only be the top eight only for the final seven races... with a race in each division.... and whoever wins the most out of the 28 rounds of racing is champ...

simple, to the point... and a good TV package.... live....

That's not a bad idea. The one change I'd make to your proposal would be have the playoffs for only the final two races of the season and run the LODRS under the same format. The final two races of the season would be shown live and would include the four pro classes and the LODRS classes.

I'm certain that there will be more flaws within the ingenious new points system but we can start it off with all of the "elite eight" competitors who didn't even make the field at Indy this year.

I suspect many would disagree but for my money this is no way to create excitement as they intended.

I don't like the countdown but what has that got to do with making the field at Indy? Championships are decided by points acumalated over a period of time, not by making the cut in one event.

I don't like the countdown but what has that got to do with making the field at Indy? Championships are decided by points acumalated over a period of time, not by making the cut in one event.

The hooplah over WJ, JF, Whit, and JR not making the field at Indy is more important because the "Countdown to Four" only lasts four races. The Countdown to Eight lasted for 17.

Statistically, one could have a "hiccup" during the C-to-8 stage and it wouldn't affect you much. You can't do that during C-to-4, at all.

Since everyone is re-set to basically a tie at Indy (only 70 points separating the eight), a DNQ could send you from First to Eighth over the span of one event.

It will be even worse during C-to-1, which is only TWO races.

This is why I think it will be interesting to see who the "Old System Champions" end up being, compared to who is on-stage after Pomona.

talk about a farce- greg anderson lead the points by 100 plus, im not sure how many, just 1 event ago, he went to the finals, now hes in 2nd, this countdown is a farce period!!!!!!! looks like the best and fastest car in at least pro stock wont win it this year. same with rod fuller. the countdown is not legitamate!

OK so by the old point system how far did Ron Capps fall if any at all??

under the old system he would still be # 1 but not by too much he picked up 35 points for the event and Robert picked up 95 = a 60 point gain into the points lead of Ron

Last edited:
I'll tell ya what. Indy has always been a so-so track. Geez..it's Labor Day..uhhh..Sept.1st in Indy!! 120 degree track. I don't remember a 1 lane track this bad on Sunday though.

The problem is everyone stepping up..they all make the power. But only a handful of crew chiefs can get down on that 120 degree track.

I loved Alan Johnson's interview after the win. "I love racing here..I feel like a part of my family is here..it's always good coming back here" That pretty much says it all eh?

The hooplah over WJ, JF, Whit, and JR not making the field at Indy is more important because the "Countdown to Four" only lasts four races. The Countdown to Eight lasted for 17.

Statistically, one could have a "hiccup" during the C-to-8 stage and it wouldn't affect you much. You can't do that during C-to-4, at all.

Since everyone is re-set to basically a tie at Indy (only 70 points separating the eight), a DNQ could send you from First to Eighth over the span of one event.

It will be even worse during C-to-1, which is only TWO races.

This is why I think it will be interesting to see who the "Old System Champions" end up being, compared to who is on-stage after Pomona.
I agree 1000% Bruce. Maybe I don't understand what Bobby is saying. I read that as a slam against the guys that didn't make the cut and he didn't think they deserved to be in the top 8.

This damn countdown is going to screw people out of the awards they deserve. Greg Anderson comes to mind.

This damn countdown is going to screw people out of the awards they deserve. Greg Anderson comes to mind.

There's always the possibility that he would have lost it anyway. I think his lead was just over a hundred points and may have been below a hundred after second place Dave won Indy (now better known as first place Dave). The advantage he has had appears to be gone and with so many good cars,anybody can win it from any position. KJ is running very well and don't count him out,he's moved up to fourth,one point out of third. Besides,would a new P/S Champ other than SSR be a bad thing?:rolleyes:

talk about a farce- greg anderson lead the points by 100 plus, im not sure how many, just 1 event ago, he went to the finals, now hes in 2nd, this countdown is a farce period!!!!!!! looks like the best and fastest car in at least pro stock wont win it this year. same with rod fuller. the countdown is not legitamate!
What's the difference if the Indy Colts go undefeated through their regular season, only to loose their first game of the playoffs? It's the playoffs here, time to make it happen or go home. Yes, the rules have changed, whoever learns to play by the new rules the best, takes all. Enough with the crybabies already!:rolleyes:

C'mon - do y'all want cheese with that wine?

Everybody had 5 freaking tries at qualifying!

I thought the "race" to the countdown got really exiting toward the end. I suspect the cutting down to 4 will be really tough. Let's give this a chance.

I don't know if Indy (historically) is a well-prepared track or just needs to be re-surfaced but, it looked (on TV) that the lanes were, at least, equal (though not "killer").

Who wouldn't want to see Whit, JR, and JF in the race? That's what makes our sport interesting. No owner's points - no yellow flags for phantom debris with 10 laps to go.

wait till next year, if they keep the chase they'll add auto qualifing spots for the 8. They already made it so you don't have to earna championship why bother earning a qualifing spot. Especially after any "outside" media attention that was gained focussed on the dnq and could give a hoot about a countdown

Somebody said how a dnq now hurts more. I don't know those guys who dnq'd are still closer to first now then they were before the points shaving happened.

I didn't think it was possible but I like the countdown less and less as time goes on.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back