"Countdown" begins to backfire????? (1 Viewer)

"Dr. Dirt"

Nitro Member
I'm certain that there will be more flaws within the ingenious new points system but we can start it off with all of the "elite eight" competitors who didn't even make the field at Indy this year.

I suspect many would disagree but for my money this is no way to create excitement as they intended.

This is just a big mess. NHRA has a big problem and it needs fixed when it comes to qualifying. They have to have 2 night sessions. They have too. I am getting sick and tired of this one shot qualifying session that if you dont get in then your done, especially when during the other sessions your the quickest or one of the quickest. You have to have night time qualifying for the fans so the only way I see to fix it is to add another night session.

As for the Top 8 automatically getting in, I'm against that. Do it as normal, if your not good enough to make a 16 car field then you shouldnt race. However I do understand the argument that NHRA wants the excitement, seperated 8 cars and they should all race each other on one side of the ladder, but I still say dont change anything except for adding a night session.

I still think they should have quit wasting everyones time and money and just drawn numbers out of a jar instead. It makes about as much sense as this idiotic "countdown."

Last edited:
This is just a big mess. NHRA has a big problem and it needs fixed when it comes to qualifying. They have to have 2 night sessions. They have too. I am getting sick and tired of this one shot qualifying session that if you dont get in then your done, especially when during the other sessions your the quickest or one of the quickest. You have to have night time qualifying for the fans so the only way I see to fix it is to add another night session.

As for the Top 8 automatically getting in, I'm against that. Do it as normal, if your not good enough to make a 16 car field then you shouldnt race. However I do understand the argument that NHRA wants the excitement, seperated 8 cars and they should all race each other on one side of the ladder, but I still say dont change anything except for adding a night session.

They did have two night sessions at Indy.

They did have two night sessions at Indy.

I know, but the one really wasnt as good as the other one. But what I'm getting at is on regular races and even at Indy the last session today should have been a night session. None of those cars today had a shot at getting in the field, none of them. Thats just plain stupid, and as a fan who wants to watch 50 tire smoking side by side runs.

So if they didnt make the race under the old system it would have the same effect. And if somebody who made the field at Indy doesnt make the next race it will balance out.

All of the tracks on the tour have their own personality and I think what needs to be done is,do them all the same. Make them totally concrete for the 1/4 mile and constructed by the same specs and use the same company to do the work. What we saw today was a disgrace to dragracing and almost makes me sick. What does it say for the track prep when they can't even make the lanes equal on the same day. One day the right lane is good,the next day it's junk and vice versa with the left lane. When you have P/S cars heading for the wall,there's a problem. This race is our Daytona 500 and it looks like the Baja 500,go figure.

All of the tracks on the tour have their own personality.

You should have stopped there.... all the tracks have their own personality - just like Daytona is not the same as Bristol - or Michigan - or whatever...

I think the only real concern is the night time qualifying sessions making it basically a 2 round qualifying show. I've seen / heard talk about making the day time session fast qualifiers having a spot in the field... after all - that's the REAL race day conditions.

I've got money that says we won't see a .40 tomorrow. Mid 50's and 60's will win rounds.

For years pros stock racers have had to deal with the problem of only one night qualifying session-where the hell was all the complaining then?

Now the fields in TF and FC are as competitive as pro stock and there is suddenly a problem. the only problem i see is going from the countdown to eight to the countdown to four. That's the stupid thing!

You should have stopped there.... all the tracks have their own personality - just like Daytona is not the same as Bristol - or Michigan - or whatever...

If the groove gets bad in a Cup race,they can find another one but that's not an option in drag racing.

I know, but the one really wasnt as good as the other one. But what I'm getting at is on regular races and even at Indy the last session today should have been a night session. None of those cars today had a shot at getting in the field, none of them. Thats just plain stupid, and as a fan who wants to watch 50 tire smoking side by side runs.

John had two chances and missed, both night sessions yielded 4.75's in FC. I do agree, John had no chance getting in today. I said this last night to a guy who was sitting next to me that John had no shot with the forecasted heat and he said John would have no problem getting in, I just chuckled.

Not to toot our own horn, but Doug ran 4.565, 4.727, 4.561, 4.667, and 4.616 in qualifying. The track was there to get in at least 2 out of 5 rounds. As a matter of fact, Doug's first 3 times where good enough to qualify and only off by .072 and .021 in the 4th and 5th sessions. Strong runs where made from both lanes all weekend and the field is only 3 cars from the fastest TF field of all time.

As for Countdown teams not getting qualified, all I can say is thems the breaks. Bad timing to have a bad weekend. It's working out for us since 2 teams ahead of us didn't qualify.

As for Countdown teams not getting qualified, all I can say is thems the breaks. Bad timing to have a bad weekend. It's working out for us since 2 teams ahead of us didn't qualify.

Thank Youuuuu!! Well said.... NHRA is living up the "The Tee Shirt" that was made for them :D

John ran pretty good for the conditions, but just not good enough.

Here is my 2 cents.

NO provisionals.

Take the top 8 ET's from Friday and lock them in. They are 1-8. They can improve and move up on Saturday, but can not get pushed below 8th.

The next 6 cars will be the top ET's from Saturday. They can not do any better then 9th no matter how good they run. They will make up the ladder 9-14.

#15 and #16 spots will be "wild card" spots. The 2 best ET's that did not make the 1-8 or 9-14 no matter what day. This is to protect somebody that say was 9th quickest Friday, but did not run good Saturday, just as an example.

Last edited:
jr todd, whit and John Force

Folks with the already horrible countdown we have I fear that they will go to provisionals now. You already have a welfare system to help win a championship why make people earn qualifying shots. I can smell their flawed logic now.

PJ... don't forget WJ, as if he gives a flying rat's.......

I'd luv to see Morgan slide into it.... and I hope that the top four are locked before Richmond...

I want to see Drag Racing! Not a points chase....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back