Could things be going from bad to worse for JFR? (1 Viewer)

Apperantly now that Ford is leaving JFR, John will persue His dream of winning championships in both Funny Car and Top Fuel.I just don't see how its a problem.

Problem . . . nah! By then 66 years old, never driven a T/F car (that I know of) and would be competing against DSR, Al Anabi, Kalitta, Vandergriff, Lucas and Torrence (which reportedly will be another two car team) for that championship. What could possibly go wrong? - ;)[/QUOTE]

Tell that to John.
Thats a great list of drivers and team names you posted buy really what have any of them done lately, .

Its a wide open class, anyone can win in T/F right now, and yes its way less expenceive than funny car, and Way easier to drive.
John is looking for dragster guys to race with Him..........I'm a dragster guy......... So is My son, .

Fire the next pair.

Lots of good points being brought up here. I can't predict what the sport will look like in 20 years, but I don't believe it has to die. There are many facets to this. If NHRA went totally away tomorrow, the sport would still be here. There are more circuits and associations out there than I can name. What we are talking about, is the NHRA "Big Show" as we know it. If we would like to see a continued race series with "Professional" classes putting on a show in front of large crowds, getting TV coverage, and attracting corporate sponsorship, then this has to be treated like any other business. Meaning, we need to look ahead 3, 5, 10 yrs. Success in business depends upon acting, not REacting. Shall we wait until there are 2-3 teams in each class able to run for the title? Shall we bank on a hanful of wealthy individuals to keep these classes going? Things change on a dime. I never thought Kenny would step away as long as his son was driving. I was wrong. Here's some food for thought: The infrastructures in place for these teams are the shops, including all the R&D and fab equipment, the rigs, the cars, and the people. The cars are constantly being replaced anyway, how could it hurt to overhaul the rules so that we have fuel cars that run the 1320, maybe around 300mph, at a fraction of today's budgets, and Pro Stockers that are based on the factory muscle cars being built. Then, the other side of the equation is MARKETING, which is how any brand is built. I'm just spitballing here, but I just think there's a lot that can be done...

here's the model for FC racing....no deviations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP_S5T8fPHA
notice today's version does not compare.
the entertainment value of the two are night and day.
just my .02

I would agree your video is very entertaining. Should the NHRA be a show, or should it be competition?

NHRA to a certain extent allowed teams to do things to go faster. Naturally teams find these things and use them. Turns out dry hops, long smokey burnouts, and blipping the throttle in the pits doesn't do anything to add performance, so they stopped doing them. Some who would cry to allow that innovation into the NHRA to further the sport would simultaneously cry that that innovation is contributing to it's demise.

NHRA could mandate those things, then some people would applaud it while simultaneously balking at the idea citing that it is hurting performance and sponsor involvement due to the excess cost.

Personally, I agree with you, but I feel the NHRA event should be a mix of competition and a "show". Whatever though, the current setup is good enough for me to shell out the money to attend - Brainerd 2 weeks!

It appears to me that JFR is doing exactly what it should do to make sure they get sponsors knocking on their doors. They have time to put everything together. By John putting the TF card out there they are leaving the door open for anybody to step up and request TF or FC or both for their sponsorship dollars. Not to many people can say they are a 15 time champion and probably the most recognizable name in drag racing. I am sure there are some pretty smart ad execs trying to put something together to get their business noticed and thinking JFR might be the answer and a lot cheaper then NASCAR.

"I am wondering what the status of sponsorship is in F1. As far as I know, F1 is still thriving in Europe. Maybe Europeans are more of gear heads than the current crop of youngsters in America? Or maybe it's the same deal, the F1 crowd is growing older an older."

My opinion FWIW ...

F1 is doing OK. It has global revenue to draw on ... although it is not so big in the USA.

(Funnily enough soccer is a bit like that too. Huge everywhere except USA, where it is popular but not huge.)

The USA has several sports which are mostly big in the USA, such as drag racing ... which is great ... but it does tend to limit global revenue.

Why is F1 globally popular? I guess there are loads of reasons, including ...

Long history of international drivers and manufacturers involved - global reach
Decades of global promotion by a very smart/ruthless promoter
Very high technology level - ultra high gear-head appeal
The drivers tend to be young, rich, physically fit ... high youth/celeb/materialism appeal
Etc. etc.

Any lessons for drag racing?

I honestly don't know ... It's a very different sport.

Drag racing is global and has been for years, My Dad was the first American to take a Funny Car to Austraila, that was over 40 years ago in 1971.

What about FIA in Europe, and the Arab countrys getting involved, what about Japan, Huge top fuel contingent over there, They even race in the rain.

Did someone say Drift King?

2008 DRAG RACE BERC TOPFUEL http://www.sof-racing.com/ - YouTube

Sounds like he needs to pursue Honda and Nissan, most of the "Japanese" cars in the states are designed and built in the states for the USDM. They are too big and fuel inefficient to be sold in Japan.

S/F
D
Rather see RX-7 & Toyota Starlets & Corolas do battle. Even El Humilde from PR Vs Pepe Loco from NJ like what's gonna happen in Orlando

(following video only for those who understand spanish)

Agite Pepe Loco Vs El Humilde Septiembre 14 @ Orlando Speed World - YouTube

How soon until Hugo Umpierre becomes the NHRA official Bi-Lingual voice
Rotores vs Pistones! Team USA Vs Team Puerto Rico! Estamos Gozando! Que Clase e'casco papa!

jajajajajajajaja

Oh wait this is the Mater :eek:

Care to elaborate why it was the best one yet? From a physics standpoint, I find no error with my statement.

The depth is the problem with cleaning up the spill. The depth (and resulting pressure from a mile of water above it) "traps" the oil on the bottom and we have no means to go down that deep and get it. The only oil BP has cleaned up is the oil that reached the surface, a relatively small percentage of the total spill.

I would hate to see JFR lose their sponsorship, but if it is related to the spill in even the slightest way ... BP needs to handle that first. Despite their PR campaign, the bottom of the Gulf is a mess and is dying. Otherwise, NHRA really needs to look at the whole business model and develop a way for teams to provide a better ROI for sponsors.

A year after the spill:

Has BP really cleaned up the Gulf oil spill? | Environment | The Guardian

3 years after the spill:

Study: "Dirty bathtub" buried oil from BP spill - CBS News

Do it Float?

Do It Float?! - The Lost Episodes - Motor Oil! - YouTube

Last edited:
This is really simple Ford is going Green with Nascar.

Force is going top fuel racing.

The rest of you are going to be there to see it all happen.

I am sending my resume to JFR as we speak.

I just read on another site that Ford just gave Roush Yates Racing a 5 year, $125,000,000 deal for an engine program. If this is true, I'm not sure what else it would take for Glendora to really be concerned, and start being proactive.

I just read on another site that Ford just gave Roush Yates Racing a 5 year, $125,000,000 deal for an engine program. If this is true, I'm not sure what else it would take for Glendora to really be concerned, and start being proactive.

Remember you are talking about dumb and dumber.

I've told this story before and here it is again. I went to the International Motorsports Hall of Fame banquet when WJ was inducted. Mike Helton,President of NASCAR was working the entire room and stopped by our table and introduced himself.. He was very friendly and outgoing,asked how we were doing. Tom Compton NEVER left his table. What does that tell you about the state of the NHRA? I wonder if he even went to Dearborn and talked to Phord about their intentions. If he didn't,shame on him and he should have went hat in hand and on bended knee.

I've told this story before and here it is again. I went to the International Motorsports Hall of Fame banquet when WJ was inducted. Mike Helton,President of NASCAR was working the entire room and stopped by our table and introduced himself.. He was very friendly and outgoing,asked how we were doing. Tom Compton NEVER left his table. What does that tell you about the state of the NHRA? I wonder if he even went to Dearborn and talked to Phord about their intentions. If he didn't,shame on him and he should have went hat in hand and on bended knee.
But, if you go on any nascar forum most of the fans hate Mike Helton just like a lot of the fans do TC on the drag racing forums. Tom Compton didn't have a problem coming over to our table in Charlotte and chatting with us. I guess it just depends on whose eyes your looking through.

But, if you go on any nascar forum most of the fans hate Mike Helton just like a lot of the fans do TC on the drag racing forums. Tom Compton didn't have a problem coming over to our table in Charlotte and chatting with us. I guess it just depends on whose eyes your looking through.

I'm just telling you what my experience was. Maybe Compton read my post about it and decided maybe he should get off his @$$ and do the same. Compton has as much fan appeal as watching paint dry.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back