Could things be going from bad to worse for JFR? (1 Viewer)

What this thread has proven is just how dependent NHRA is on JFR succeeding, but at what point will sponsors decide they cannot market a 65 year old Driver? Don Prudhomme took himself out of the seat feeling he was Too old to represent the Sponsors! How many think John Force will be driving 5 years from now?

This is probably the way to go.

As much as I like the TF and FC class, I'm sure the sponsors are looking at the high cost of paying for all the engine explosions, destroyed mega $$ bodies and all the other associated high dollar items connected to these classes. And the bodies don't even look like the cars they are supposed to represent!

Pro Stock. These are nothing more than slow funny cars and many people cannot relate to them. The best PS action was during the early 70's. Tons of brand loyalty. And there was a lot of, "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" activity.

What happens when the car count only allows an 8 car show? Think attendance will drop?

Make a few changes (make bodies look like real cars, reduce displacement, one mag, smaller blowers, etc) and the cars will slow down. Might even get to go back to 1/4 mile racing. Will we adapt to slower speeds? Hell yes...we did when they went to 1000' racing. Will the racing be more exciting? Definitely! Many more full passes and less engine/blower explosions. Also less down time for track clean up. More cars in each field? There will be when the car owners don't have to ask a sponsor for 3 mil a year.

NHRA and the car owners had better sit down and look at the long range future of our sport before it bankrupts itself.

Just my 1 cent (inflation figured in).

I have been hearing this argument for 15 years, yet the Fields are still full!

The NHRA is dying a slow and drawn out death, but it definitely will die. Sooner, rather than later, like within the next 10-12 years.

Nascar might survive longer, but it will be gone at some point also. You need hundreds of thousands of rabid fans to make financial sense to the sponsors. I don't think I have to clear up the fact that it isn't 1980's-1990's attendance at the track anymore, and this is 2013.
Can you see those sub compacts of 2025 trading paint at Bristol? I don't.

If you look ahead 10 years, what do you see?
The kids of today are not like my, or our generation. There is no Ford vs. GM.
If there is any decision criteria in todays youth, it's more about efficiency, definitely which is "greener" or maybe who took TARP money, and who didn't.
You cant work on the cars of today to create some interest in performance, and even if you could, the interest has shifted away from power, and focuses on green and clean.
There are no back yard groups of motorheads tuning up a big block. They are more interested in saving the planet. I don't think Nitro enters their thoughts.
My son couldn't care less about car brands, or how they work. At 17, he didn't even know which automaker build his Jeep because he doesn't care. My daughters boyfriend doesn't care either, as long as the gas mileage is good, he's good with what he's driving.

Look at the grand stands and see the slow, but consistent draw down.
When this generation of gear heads runs it's course, the next generation will be non existent, and FMC, Castrol, Bud, and a long list of future ex sponsors will follow. Big business became big because their PR focuses on what's coming, and not what's here. Their money will be invested in the next generation's interests to get out their message, and dirty motorsports isn't it.

Last edited:
I am wondering what the status of sponsorship is in F1. As far as I know, F1 is still thriving in Europe. Maybe Europeans are more of gear heads than the current crop of youngsters in America? Or maybe it's the same deal, the F1 crowd is growing older an older. I think Chris Cook would have his finger on the pulse of this.

The NHRA is dying a slow and drawn out death, but it definitely will die. Sooner, rather than later, like within the next 10-12 years.

Nascar might survive longer, but it will be gone at some point also. You need hundreds of thousands of rabid fans to make financial sense to the sponsors. I don't think I have to clear up the fact that it isn't 1980's-1990's attendance at the track anymore, and this is 2013.
Can you see those sub compacts of 2025 trading paint at Bristol? I don't.

If you look ahead 10 years, what do you see?
The kids of today are not like my, or our generation. There is no Ford vs. GM.
If there is any decision criteria in todays youth, it's more about efficiency, definitely which is "greener" or maybe who took TARP money, and who didn't.
You cant work on the cars of today to create some interest in performance, and even if you could, the interest has shifted away from power, and focuses on green and clean.
There are no back yard groups of motorheads tuning up a big block. They are more interested in saving the planet. I don't think Nitro enters their thoughts.
My son couldn't care less about car brands, or how they work. At 17, he didn't even know which automaker build his Jeep because he doesn't care. My daughters boyfriend doesn't care either, as long as the gas mileage is good, he's good with what he's driving.

Look at the grand stands and see the slow, but consistent draw down.
When this generation of gear heads runs it's course, the next generation will be non existent, and FMC, Castrol, Bud, and a long list of future ex sponsors will follow. Big business became big because their PR focuses on what's coming, and not what's here. Their money will be invested in the next generation's interests to get out their message, and dirty motorsports isn't it.

Well I guess we will have to look for something else to get our Rocks off then since NHRA will go Bankrupt! This may end up saving me a Ton of money in the end....:rolleyes:

Well I guess we will have to look for something else to get our Rocks off then since NHRA will go Bankrupt! This may end up saving me a Ton of money in the end....:rolleyes:

It's gonna suck for all of us who love Nitro, but we are moving out of the corporate picture and the next generations spending habits will decide where the ad money goes.

Drag racing has no prestiage outside of it's own inner circles. Has anyone seen the winner of the US Nationals on Letterman or Leno? Win the Indy 500 or Daytona 500 and your face and name are everywhere. Drag Racing has a long hertiage like NASCAR and INDY car (or whatever they call them now), but not the respect. All the "artistically taken nude shots" aren't going to change that.

I will get a bunch of crap on this statement but NHRA is arrogant and sticks their nose up n the air for the average fan, nascrap has indentified with the average fan,redneck Joe & the new drivers come from the local round tracks that will have a lot of following ,talent, & bring them into the show,,NHRA has the same ole inner circle of drivers,, they just move from one team to another, have rich daddy's, or the driver has money to buy in or fund his team, as a fan I get tired of the same ole crap, nascrap has a lot of different
drivers/issues we can follow, NHRA only will focus on the same ole group, maybe they outta try and focus on some other classes to include the other fan base we have money also to spend just a thought:eek:

Drag racing has no prestiage outside of it's own inner circles. Has anyone seen the winner of the US Nationals on Letterman or Leno? Win the Indy 500 or Daytona 500 and your face and name are everywhere. Drag Racing has a long hertiage like NASCAR and INDY car (or whatever they call them now), but not the respect. All the "artistically taken nude shots" aren't going to change that.

Ashley Force was on Jay Leno 2-3 years ago, CBS Sunday Morning did a piece on Melanie Troxel around the same time, Good Morning America was in Topeka to interview Shelly Anderson back in the 90's! It has happened...

I have been talkin to a crew chief and we r thinkin of building a TF car with
small blower 2 mags or 1 which ever works smaller pump and go have some fun,, not tear up stuff,,may even qualify some time, it wuld be great if NHRA wuld let this be a possible combination and let the nitro b at 100% have that crack just a thought:D

Sounds like a Nostalgia TF Dragster to me.

From the earliest interviews I can remember about Force (ND SSDI etc) when asked what he did at home to relax, he always spoke about his love of movies. How he would spend his days off in movie theaters, for hours on-end, usually with one of his daughters, watching almost any film that came out. I could see a strong potential in a large film company or theater chain movie wraps for the car to promote upcoming films, and a tie-in TV show having Force critique films. They (film companies) already get into bed with all sorts of manufacturers during filming and after post, for the promotion of films. I could see it easily becoming a new way to generate "buzz" which is still an aphrodisiac to most film execs. Potential is there, but you never know. I'm sure John Force and family will be just fine no matter what their direction. I didn't watch the original "driving Force" so I really have no idea if another reality program with John would work. But I swear, if he sat for a half hour talking about current film I would watch just to laugh, not to mention possible interviews with cast members where they can't get a word in edge-wise.

Is there a better story in ANY sport than the story of John Force rising from poverty to winning 15 championships? It amazes me that nobody has made a movie of his life. Maybe the new Snake Mongoose movie will be ultra successful and somebody will make a Force movie.

Ashley Force was on Jay Leno 2-3 years ago, CBS Sunday Morning did a piece on Melanie Troxel around the same time, Good Morning America was in Topeka to interview Shelly Anderson back in the 90's! It has happened...

Agreed Joe, but the point is the Daytona 500 winner will be interviewed on all the mainstream news shows on the Monday after and US Nationals winners wont even be a blip on the screen.

real close Joe, I remember an article years ago I read from Dale Armstrong on how to run a TF car and make it live to keep the cost down, it was basically wat I m talkin about, high nitro but work the compression less mag
and blower and still keep a good show and still run 1/4 mile:D

thanks paul,, that's the article and wat I want to do !!! I wuld think he nos wat wuld work and culd b an option 4 some,, thats still chasing a dream

I will get a bunch of crap on this statement but NHRA is arrogant and sticks their nose up n the air for the average fan, nascrap has indentified with the average fan,redneck Joe & the new drivers come from the local round tracks that will have a lot of following ,talent, & bring them into the show,,NHRA has the same ole inner circle of drivers,, they just move from one team to another, have rich daddy's, or the driver has money to buy in or fund his team, as a fan I get tired of the same ole crap, nascrap has a lot of different
drivers/issues we can follow, NHRA only will focus on the same ole group, maybe they outta try and focus on some other classes to include the other fan base we have money also to spend just a thought:eek:

WOW, I couldn't agree more.

This reminds me of Prudhomme and Bernstein. Legends of our sport with long term corporate sponsors. With economies becoming global, ownership changed and decisions were made regarding the motorsports sponsorships. First Prudhomme, then Bernstein both tried to put together sponsorships (remember Skytel & Copart?) to take the place of the lost sponsors but they did not last. I remember thinking at the time Don the Snake Prudhomme will not go long without a sponsor........but he did. Then Kenny Bernstein the King of Speed. Great business man, knew how to promote a product like few else. He too was unable to put together the long term deal or even piece together enough small deals to race properly.

I hope John does not find himself in the same boat. A lot of it depends on the economy. I wish him well........:)

I don't know why I just never came across that article before. Kinda gave me goosebumps reading about his solution to the power problem. A true analytical and sceintific approach to an engineering problem, which if ture is a perfect solution to what was the problem at hand. I never read anything like it. Why on earth didn't they implement his idea instead of the 1000' thing?

"I am wondering what the status of sponsorship is in F1. As far as I know, F1 is still thriving in Europe. Maybe Europeans are more of gear heads than the current crop of youngsters in America? Or maybe it's the same deal, the F1 crowd is growing older an older."

My opinion FWIW ...

F1 is doing OK. It has global revenue to draw on ... although it is not so big in the USA.

(Funnily enough soccer is a bit like that too. Huge everywhere except USA, where it is popular but not huge.)

The USA has several sports which are mostly big in the USA, such as drag racing ... which is great ... but it does tend to limit global revenue.

Why is F1 globally popular? I guess there are loads of reasons, including ...

Long history of international drivers and manufacturers involved - global reach
Decades of global promotion by a very smart/ruthless promoter
Very high technology level - ultra high gear-head appeal
The drivers tend to be young, rich, physically fit ... high youth/celeb/materialism appeal
Etc. etc.

Any lessons for drag racing?

I honestly don't know ... It's a very different sport.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back