Congrats!- "Big Mac" (1 Viewer)

Shazam

Nitro Member
Congratulations to Dave McClelland for receiving the honor as a pioneer in racing at the American Auto Racing Writers and Broadcasters Association All-America Team ceremony.

Can't think of a guy more deserving.

Thanks for all you have contributed to racing.

"The Voice of Drag Racing"

Couldn't be more deserved. I feel very honored to have met the man, and thankful that he still chooses to post on the Mater.

Alright Big Mac! You are more than deserving of all these accolades.

It was an honor being able to work with you...and testing your patience throughout pre-race ceremonies!

I too have had the honor and pleasure of meeting Dave and spending a few minutes talking with him at the HRR in Bowlin Green.

There is NONE better...period

Congrats sir, and please keep it up.

Zappy

Yrs truly has heard many of the great drag strip announcers from Santa Ana's Don Tuttle, my pal, Bud Evans, the ORIGINAL NHRA announcer, Bernie Mather, Bernie Partridge, John Lundberg, and the current in -house- closely - coached crew at NHRA, but NOBODY can equal Mac on saying the EXACT right thing at the right time EVERY time and with that golden-throated voice!

Congratulations!

Norm Porter

Boy announcer, Colton 57/mid '58, mid '60/'61 Fontana '62.
Old guy occaisional announcer Rialto Airport Drags '95-'04

Dave is one of a kind, super nice and friendly to everyone. Wouldn't you like to see him instead of Paul Page???? Bob

I have met Dave and have a couple of his "Tuna Tank" (race car) tee shirts that he was good enough to send me.

You'll never meet a nicer guy, nor one more knowledgeable about the sport than him...

I was at the Carlisle (Arkansas) drag strip the day he announced his first-ever race (1959?). Seems the local announcer was so intimidated by the match race they were having between Garlits and (I think) Edde Hill that day, that he got all choked-up, and couldn't "perform." The strip manager knew that Dave had experience in radio, and asked him if he'd do the honors, which he reluctantly did, and was an instant hit.

He was a hit then, as now, because he is a R-A-C-E-R, and knows the vagaries of the sport from the ground up. His "Tuna Tank," Fiat Topolino Altered is a long-term project that has seen action over many decades, and has become somewhat of a poster-child for us old guys, giving us hope! It's flawless, and fast...

You go, Dave!!!! There was never anyone who could compete with your multi-faceted abilities as an announcer. You and Steve Evans are the standard that everyone will forever aspire to, but never match.

I am privileged to have met you, a true gentleman! :)

Bill

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back