Brainerd, 1985 (1 Viewer)

DrRocket

Nitro Member
Finally got the negatives I found developed, and they're from the 1985 Northstar Nats.

Click here.

They include pics from the B.I.M.P. (Brainerd International Mud Pit).

It's late, I'me tired, and will add details from what I remember (Which, oddly enough, isn't all that much) later.

If anyone recognizes themselves, or someone else they know, or has details to add to the descriptions, please, by all means, chime in.

Some things that come to mind:

I had borrowed a friend's 35mm Nikon with a long lens and a monopod, and because I wasn't used to any of it, some of the pics didn't turn out so well. Plus, I didn't use the camera after I'd "had a few" because I feared for its safety, thus no pictures of the zoo. I did get pictures of the mudpit. They seemed to tear up a lot of machines that year, as shown by some of the photos. That gal who went out to hook up the tow strap caused a bit of an uproar. In fact, the crowd really uproared.

If you look at the one picture of the dragster with the rear end cover removed, you will spot some fairly severe damage. I remember the car dogged about halfway through the qualifying run. We got to the pits about the time the crew member took the top cover off, and as soon as he saw the damage, he was pretty upset, as that was the last ring and pinion set they had in that ratio. (They could still play with ratios then.) You'll see him in the white pants with gloves, leaning against the framerails. He just stood there and stared at it for a few minutes from what I remember.

The last two cars down the track for the weekend were the jet cars. (Only after they had removed the christmas tree.)

Also, does anyone remember that Olds Vista Cruiser with the Ram Air hood?? It looked dated, even then, but I thought it was a really cool machine. It was from the East coast if memory serves me.

Other observations:
Single mags, and no management system boxes. Don Prudhomme was in his "Pepsi/Wendy's" days.

Enjoy

(While you're there, you can back out to the "DrRocket" album, (My old mater name) and check out the Brainerd 2005 pics if you haven't seen them yet.)

(edit: correction on the Pepsi car. Thanks Paul.)

:)

Last edited:
Great shots David. Imagine, Pro Stock cars that actually resembled their stock counterparts...

Awesome photos!!!!!!!! :D

One of these days, I am going to have to dig out some of mine from BIR.

P.S. The Pepsi Wendys car is Don Prudhomme

right you are on both counts Paul. :eek: :eek:

Like I said, If I've got anything wrong, or if anyone has additional details about the pics, let me know.

Nice photo flashback David! Can't believe that was 20 years ago, seems like yesterday.....
Fun to see Crowers still being used then and those funny cars with the cow catcher extensions because of the "Bernstein 40 inch nose rule.
Good stuff!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back