Bob Glidden, and Nitrous Oxide...!!! (1 Viewer)

I'm just an armchair crewchief, but still, I'm curious as to how you can hide spray?

Well.... Molded into the hood scoop, in a frame rail, in the oil pan, in the dry sump tank, in the fuel cell, in a fire bottle, in a CO2 shifter bottle, in a fake battery, or even carry on in the pant leg of your fire suit just to name a few

TK

Well.... Molded into the hood scoop, in a frame rail, in the oil pan, in the dry sump tank, in the fuel cell, in a fire bottle, in a CO2 shifter bottle, in a fake battery, or even carry on in the pant leg of your fire suit just to name a few

TK

....tOADMAN!!!!....FORGOT the best...HOOD PINS...!:p

I will messg. U off line!:):cool:

Last edited:
I seem to remember reading an article with Jerry Eckmann and I think when that incident happened, the bottle was hidden in the oil pan. I had also heard of other teams routing some plumbing thru frame tubes. Does anybody else remember this?

I do remember the Jerry Eckman incident...he had the bottle in the oil pan and it and some pressure blew the bottle into another pit area close to where his was. I do remember hearing about piping it in the roll cage.
Eckmann's bottle was hidden in the dry-sump tank, not the oil pan.

Up through a rifle drilled motor plate and hood scoop support and a pinhole sized orifice over each carb, glassed into the top of the scoop. Sounded like you could be looking straight at it and not see it.

When NHRA pretty much called the Gliddens liars when they explained how they did it, Bob said they couldn't find nitrous unless it was in a bottle painted blue. They proceeded to tech the crap out of HIM after that, seemingly in retaliation.

One of the Dodge pro stockers had a backfire out the hoodscoop the size of which most people said could only happen with nitrous. Next thing you know, their shop is broken into only to sledgehammer blocks, not steal parts. Many think they were caught and that this is the backroom deal that was come up with so the Dodge cars had an excuse as to why they couldn't run the E.T.s anymore instead of admitting to using nitrous since Mopar was a major sponsor.

I remember Buddy Morrison (R.I.P) saying something like "We're pro stockers. If we had engines that ran those numbers and you broke our blocks, we would have fixed them." (Heavily paraphrasing)

...DITTO...and EXACTLY...what Buddy said...R.I.P. my friend.....

:eek: are you wanting me to believe the Dodge Boys shop wasn't broken into. wow. i am shocked!:D

...My buddy worked on Gwynns Yankee Digger with Mike Sullivan ( of wayne county fame...) when questioned of the use of juice...HIS reply was.."nobody proved anything..."(?)...:p

The rule book did not have any wording saying you couldn't use N2O at the time.

The picture in question was not from a N2o backfire,but from a broken distributor shaft.

I'm not saying that they didn't use N2O,but there were a lot of others that did that have never been questioned.

It seems this dead horse keeps getting dug up and beaten every year around this time.:confused:

Here is part of the SS & DI story

"They will tell you it's totally impossible to run nitrous & not get caught'' Glidden said " but thats wrong,Thats flat wrong. A Ford with nitrous bumped me outta the field at Topeka last year. A Ford out of my own trailer. So nobody can tell me it can't be done. I know it can be done."
The the father told a incredable story of how his kids had bugged him for 18 months , convinced that some Pro cars were running nitrous & that he was missing the boat by not running it too. "I told them if i had to cheat to race i'd quit" he said "My kids know that: " if you think other people are doing it then go ahead, prove to me you can do it.But keep in mind that if you get caught you're going have to deal with the consequences; So they did & never got caught"
Later in the story
Then came the bombshell--- an admission at Indy by a Pro Stock racer with firsthand knowledge of nitrous oxide use : Rusty Glidden. With his confession came a detailed description of how the nitrous system was secreted in his car. "The holding tank was the big weight bar in the back. The nitrous line started there,went over the axle housing right up to the front of the car & stopped at the motor plate, which was rifle-drilled. One of the supports holding the hood scoop on was rifle-drilled & went up thru the top of the hood scoop to a small stainless steel line that had 2 jets centered over the carbs. With .029 jets we made 120 ftlbs more torque at 7000 rpm & averaged 90 more horsepower. According to Bob Glidden , the nitrous system was detection proof. "you had to have a combination of things to activate it so a tech guy couldn't walk up , turn on the ignition & open the throttle. The shock switch had to be on, the computer switch on, the engine running & the throttle wide open. Trust me" Glidden concluded " Thats not fiction"

That's cuz we're all bored to tears with no racing going on and if we didn't talk about stuff here, we might have to talk to our spouses.:D

She works nights... the only ones I have to talk to are you people in this funny little box.... or I can play games on my space... did I tell ya I conquered the World....
Beside, what's a little NO2 among friends...

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back