Bob Glidden, and Nitrous Oxide...!!! (1 Viewer)

Its funny how he actually had to put nitrous in his car and show the NHRA to proove that people could do it and hide it .

There was a write up in SS&DI years ago about exactly where they hid it, and how they plumbed it. Wish I still had it :(

I'm just an armchair crewchief, but still, I'm curious as to how you can hide spray?

I have seen nitrous kits hidden in lifter valleys under intake manifolds , not sure how you would hide the bottle and piping though . I am sure you could hide the purge by having it spray under the car or somewhere not visible .

They had it in an empty (fake) battery in the car, and eventually had it so it came out through a hood scoop support they had drilled out if I remember correctly.

I seem to remember reading an article with Jerry Eckmann and I think when that incident happened, the bottle was hidden in the oil pan. I had also heard of other teams routing some plumbing thru frame tubes. Does anybody else remember this?

I do remember the Jerry Eckman incident...he had the bottle in the oil pan and it and some pressure blew the bottle into another pit area close to where his was. I do remember hearing about piping it in the roll cage.

Did it state in the rules you couldn't use nitrous oxide? I only ask because I have allways looked at rule books as "What you can't do " books , I think that if it doesn't state that you can't do something then its fair game untill you get told to stop but there would have to be a viable reason why you can't use it . Thats just my oppinion though.

Up through a rifle drilled motor plate and hood scoop support and a pinhole sized orifice over each carb, glassed into the top of the scoop. Sounded like you could be looking straight at it and not see it.

When NHRA pretty much called the Gliddens liars when they explained how they did it, Bob said they couldn't find nitrous unless it was in a bottle painted blue. They proceeded to tech the crap out of HIM after that, seemingly in retaliation.

One of the Dodge pro stockers had a backfire out the hoodscoop the size of which most people said could only happen with nitrous. Next thing you know, their shop is broken into only to sledgehammer blocks, not steal parts. Many think they were caught and that this is the backroom deal that was come up with so the Dodge cars had an excuse as to why they couldn't run the E.T.s anymore instead of admitting to using nitrous since Mopar was a major sponsor.

I remember Buddy Morrison (R.I.P) saying something like "We're pro stockers. If we had engines that ran those numbers and you broke our blocks, we would have fixed them." (Heavily paraphrasing)

Last edited:
I have seen nitrous kits hidden in lifter valleys under intake manifolds , not sure how you would hide the bottle and piping though . I am sure you could hide the purge by having it spray under the car or somewhere not visible .

I bought an intake from an Iowa round tracker years ago who sold it to me at a cheap price just because I lived so far away. Tapped holes on the underside of each intake port and a slightly larger one just beside the distributor hole. I've heard of them coming in through the back of the block, too.

Last edited:
Yep, when we were running pro stock, the known scoop was nitrous in the frame rails, as well as fake battery boxes. Not to mention "funny fuel". If these guys had taken all the energy they used to, hmm let me say circumvent the system, and put it into technology and hard work, they would have been much better off. Of course, it would have made very boring racers and we all know racers are ANYTHING but boring. ;)

What team was winning championships with nitrous? I've never heard of this before. I sure NHRA came down hard on them and put and end to it in a most expeditious manner. The team was probably ostracized for this and never allowed to compete again, right? :D

I knew a bike dragracer that had a nitrous filling station--had a ps/t come in with their HOOD wanting a refill! :cool: I didnt believe him at first-it was before all the other nitrous silly games made the headlines-but now stories are coming to light. (statue of limitations?)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back