Great new Legends Interview with Glidden (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
Another awesome interview, Bobby does a great job with these. One of the things that amazed me was Bob describing his very first PS outing, at Ontario. He was runner-up, and took home $12,400, while his entire investment in his "operation" at the time was $19,000!!! Amazing numbers. Now I'm sure that $12,400 for runner-up was including contingencies, but, how much would a PS racer take home now for runner-up? That was over FORTY years ago...

http://competitionplus.com/competitionplustv/season-2-legends-the-series-the-legend-of-bob-glidden

Hats off to Bobby on a great interview. Only one driver Glidden hated to race and his comments about a certain team using NOS. And Bob you are a LEGEND!

Very enjoyable video! Thanks, Bobby!

"LEGEND" doesn't even do it... He is so humble... But, he knows.... he knows... :)

There was a reason he was known as "Mad Dog"... LOL!

You know, he took a small-block 340 Mopar engine (in a Plymouth Arrow,) and won a World Championship with it, having never run one, before.... had lots of imitators.... big names like Dick Landy, Butch Leal, et al, and, as far as I know, nobody else ever won a SINGLE Pro Stock EVENT with that motor!!!! Please correct me if Iam wrong. In fact, he won the Winternationals with it (first race of the season) after having never run an NHRA event with it...

BTW, $ 12,400.00 in 1976 would be $52,700,00, today.
Does runner-up in Pro Stock pay that much today?

bob said they got 12,000 dollars for runner back in 72. Isn't that pretty close to what the runner up gets, these days, some 40 plus years later :eek:

Very cool, such a classy guy. When I was 9 until he retired I loved to hate him (as a Chevy kid/guy)...pulled for Lee Shepard, then butch leal, then WJ/KJ .....then found myself really missing him after he retired. I always wondered what could have been seen by the TV cameras when he wrecked and covered it with his jacket....intake runner spacing, plenum design? Well done BB

I am a dyed in the wool Chevy fan, but always respected and appreciated Bob Glidden. What an amazing career he and his family had in pro stock.

I was a huge Glidden fan through the '70's and '80's and was lucky enough to meet him a few years ago when he was working with Tom Martino. I waited for him to finish with another fan then asked for a picture with him. Instead of acting like I was bothering him (it was race day after all), Bob acted surprised that I would even want a picture with him and happily obliged. It's nice to know your heroes are genuinely good people.

I was a huge Glidden fan through the '70's and '80's and was lucky enough to meet him a few years ago when he was working with Tom Martino. I waited for him to finish with another fan then asked for a picture with him. Instead of acting like I was bothering him (it was race day after all), Bob acted surprised that I would even want a picture with him and happily obliged. It's nice to know your heroes are genuinely good people.

I think it is highly significant (and, often overlooked,) that Glidden dominated Pro Stock to the extent that people were actually suggesting that NHRA find a way to factor (handicap) HIM... and, he did it with Fords (except for one, lone,Mopar,) in a virtual SEA of GM products... (mainly, Chevrolets.) That had to add exponentially, to his feat. If I had done what he did, I couldnt walk through my front door, my head would be so big.... but, he is self-effacing and humble, like there was nothing to it. An amazing guy...

The best part of the whole interview was when he talked about Kenny Bernstein's first win. Setting records and racking up a lot of Wally's is cool, but at the end of the day how you treat people is what matters.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back