Austin Coil Update (1 Viewer)

On March 29, 2011 my wife of 20 years passed away unexpectedly.

Life is too short to let whatever happened between Force and Coil, eliminate all the good years, and memories. These guys should sit down face to face, and make amends. They don't have to work together again, or even be best friends. But man, if they ever were good friends, ending it like this is not the way to do it.

Will either of them have a clear conscience if something happens to the other? Will they regret being stubborn about this?

Who knows? Maybe they never were friends. Sure seemed like they were...

Happy to hear that Austin is enjoying his life away from drag racing. His saying Taylor wrote a song about him and John was funny. He will always be known as one of the best tuners in the sport.

Life is too short to let whatever happened between Force and Coil, eliminate all the good years, and memories. These guys should sit down face to face, and make amends. They don't have to work together again, or even be best friends. But man, if they ever were good friends, ending it like this is not the way to do it.

Will either of them have a clear conscience if something happens to the other? Will they regret being stubborn about this?

Post of the year right here and excellent advice to all of us.

I'm thinking there almost had to be some sort of legal contract dispute between Coil and Force, and the terms of whatever the settlement was require them not to discuss it.

This wasn't just a spat over what the tuneup of the day should have been at some race. Coil seems as bitter as the day he walked away, and for a man to stay this mad at another man for this long, you know the rift had to be awfully deep and wide.

Two Cents

Blood is thicker than water....and Coil was in the water. If John was declared King, Coil deserved to be a Duke at least.....just a cyber 2¢

I remember reading an artical that said Coils beef was that John asked every one to take a pay cut and then John continued to spend money on his new home.

He's obviously put that part of his life behind him, and is movin' on!

Traveling the country in a custom motor coach. Sounds good to me!

Enjoy your retirement Austin. You've earned it.

Post of the year?
I don't think so.
The "life is too short" thing or "friendship" thing only works with two people with who are even. It doesn't work with a person who has a stable cash stream along with millions of dollars of assets, and one who doesn't, especially when the one who doesn't is responsible for part of the success..

It's pretty transparent what happened here.
Money.
Force was a joke on the track until Coil came along.
Coil was a great tuner, but didn't have the persona of Force, or the natural ability with sponsors and TV.
The two combined strong points and we all saw what happened.

With millions of dollars of cash and physical assets collected over their relationship, it seems like Coil thinks he deserves more, and Force doesn't see it that way.
Who is right?
Doesn't matter.
It's black and white, not gray. Coil should have negotiated a better situation with Force back in 1985.

Last edited:
Post of the year?
I don't think so.
The "life is too short" thing or "friendship" thing only works with two people with who are even. It doesn't work with a person who has a stable cash stream along with millions of dollars of assets, and one who doesn't, especially when the one who doesn't is responsible for part of the success..

It's pretty transparent what happened here.
Money.
Force was a joke on the track until Coil came along.
Coil was a great tuner, but didn't have the persona of Force, or the natural ability with sponsors and TV.
The two combined strong points and we all saw what happened.

With millions of dollars of cash and physical assets collected over their relationship, it seems like Coil thinks he deserves more, and Force doesn't see it that way.
Who is right?
Doesn't matter.
It's black and white, not gray. Coil should have negotiated a better situation with Force back in 1985.

I always thought where John Forces' career be today had he not landed AC in 1987! Prior to that did he ever finish in the Top 5? Having said that...I believe everybody is expendable one time or another!

I always thought where John Forces' career be today had he not landed AC in 1987! Prior to that did he ever finish in the Top 5? Having said that...I believe everybody is expendable one time or another!

Really does not matter how good a tuner you are if you dont have a race car to tune.

Its all in our (selfish) perception. We think we know these people because we've seen them together for 25 years. We know them by sight-by the sounds of their voices-by what they say. Its like if we found out Abbott hated Costello-Cheech hated Chong-"how could they? I've known them all these years?"
It sucks-I wish they'd kiss + make up-I hate when my friends fight. ;)

I think it's great that he's enjoying life, being away from what he did for so long. Reminds me of Dick LaHaie or Eddie Hill. I'd imagine Mr. Coil is more than able to afford groceries and pay his cable bill on time. There is drag racing without Austin Coil, and there is Austin Coil without drag racing. Do we miss him, yes. Thanks for the memories, Sir - enjoy!

Thanks John. Always enjoy you're podcasts. Agreed, John Force and Austin Coil built the empire that is John Force Racing together. I give all the credit in the world to Austin. I wonder though, couldn't John Force done the same (or better?) with someone like Dale Armstrong? At the end of the day...the buildings, haulers, race cars, paychecks....ect. still say John Force Racing not Austin Coil Racing and John Force Racing made Austin one welathy man. It's also noteworthy without that sponsor $$$$ ( I'm sure those we're sponsors that John sought out and kept happy ) there are no parts,technology, tools or race shops to make Austin Coil the wealthy man he is today.

I was a John Force fan from way back in Diamond P days .
I thought Austin Coil Walked On Water !

When John thought it necessary to bring up on the air what he thought about half the country's political views and how bias and stupid we were to think Fox News tells the truth he showed his azz as far as I'm concerned .

I don't blame Coil a bit for walking away from someone that unnecessarily calls the Majority of Drag Racers Idiots .

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back