Anderson goes 6.59 and Line goes 209 (1 Viewer)

This isn't the first 6.50 Pro Stock Run

You know it kills me how NHRA thinks they are the only sanctioning body that produces records. Lets get it straight, the first 6.5 second run and mph faster than 208 were run in the IHRA. I'm not knocking GA's run because it was amazing, I think it could have been better but we can't be too greedy. But these writers need to get there facts straight, if it said the first NHRA Pro Stock car in the 6.50's it would be a true and correct statement but as it stands it is not true.
If the weather holds out look too see some real numbers laid down at Rockingham next weekend, those will make your jaws drop. 5 sec Pro Mods (albeit blown) 6.0 second nitrous Pro Mods and last but not least the Kings of Naturally Aspirated doorslammers Mountain Motor Pro Stocks running 6.20's a 221+ mph.

and your point? WE all know that the IHRA cars are faster. But the casual fan probably doesn't even know they exist. I also hear that the 800 inch motors are cheaper to build because they're not quite as "cutting edge". I would say its a much bigger feat to run a 6.59 in a REAL Pro Stock car than a 6.20 something in a pro mod with the bottles turned off. Just my .02

Then why aren't those guys showing up at NHRA events and handing GA his butt???:D :rolleyes: ;)
... and to further your point, how many of the IHRA runners used to run the with the "slow" NHRA folks and got their butts handed to them? Anyone that thinks the NHRA PS category isn't the most difficult of the 2 needs to take another look.

Personally I think the big-inch PS cars are cool as can be, particularly since it's the only place (for now, at least) that the Blue Oval cars have any chance. But to compare them in a "pound-for-pound" manner versus the NHRA racers really isn't fair if for no other reason than the disparity in the amount of money involved in each.

I agree that the NHRA Pro Stock class is alot harder than the IHRA Pro Stock class. I am not saying that IHRA is easy at all, but I am just saying. Look at it this way, Robert Patrick who is the fastest in IHRA right now couldnt even qualify in NHRA when he ran over here. No disrepect to him, I root for him, but that proves it. Same as Rickie Smith, another one of my favorites. He won the IHRA pro stock race last weekend, and I cant tell you the last time he won an NHRA race. If Anderson and Line went to IHRA they could run with the pro mods probably given some time.

Good lord, they're at it again. 6.571 with a 209.49 for Jason line. Greg has already lost the record.

You guys missed the point so now I gotta get in the soap box

:confused: Come guys, to say it doesn't take just as much know how to build an 815 inch monster as it does a 500 inch engine is kind of crazy. No one is going to switch over to either sanctioning body and start from scratch and build a competivie peice. The key word is money and time. Jon Kaase who is one of the three top engine builders in IHRA said himself there's no money for him in NHRA because of the time involved to be competitive. Robert Patrick was close but his engine builder didn't have time to concentrate soley on his program. However on the flip side when Panella, Blankeny, and Geofrrion teamed up within a year they were competitive and with proper backing they would still be hear knocking heads. My original post was to make a point, the jounalist act as if Pro Stock only exists in NHRA and I just wanted to make it know where those numbers were first laid down. I love both classes, given my choice I probably would rather watch the moutain motor cars because they are faster and you have easier access to talk to the guys than most NHRA teams. I will agree there's probably more money spent in the NHRA engine programs but I wouldn't agree that NHRA technolgy is any better than IHRA Pros Stock technology. They each have their on unique charactersistics, and if those of you who think it's so easy to make one of those big boys fly build one. I don't think Greg or WJ could one thats gonna run 6.30's right out the box and I don't think Kaase, Sonny, Ron Miller, Hutter, or Ingles could build a 6.60 NHRA peice right out the box but with time they could. Given the same amount of power I would take Rickie Smith driving my car over almost anyone in the NHRA right now except for Jeg or Dave Connolly. The biggest difference in the classes is the exclusitivity of engine programs. If you could go into the NHRA and buy an engine that would qualify number one guys like Robert and Rickie would have done a lot better but it want happen. In the IHRA you can get that kind of power for the right price.

and your point? WE all know that the IHRA cars are faster. But the casual fan probably doesn't even know they exist. I also hear that the 800 inch motors are cheaper to build because they're not quite as "cutting edge". I would say its a much bigger feat to run a 6.59 in a REAL Pro Stock car than a 6.20 something in a pro mod with the bottles turned off. Just my .02

Chad,
Pro Mod engines and Pro Stock engines differ in design. Yes they are both largr displacements but thats where the similarities end. A nitrous engine running on natural horspower couldn't come close to qualifying in the IHRA Pro Stock field. Those big engines take a lot of finesse, don't let all that mass fool you. They are more user friendly because they aren't turning 10,000 rpm like there NHRA counterparts. And are you implying that IHRA Pro Stock cars aren't real? Whats more real about about an NHRA car? The only diffrence is the fact that NHRA has more money, if IHRA had the money that NASCAR spends on their BUSCH series you wouldn't hear about NHRA.

Smitty

Last edited:
Chad,
Pro Mod engines and Pro Stock engines differ in design. Yes they are both largr displacements but thats where the similarities end. A nitrous engine running on natural horspower couldn't come close to qualifying in the IHRA Pro Stock field. Those big engines take a lot of finesse, don't let all that mass fool you. They are more user friendly because they aren't turning 10,000 rpm like there NHRA counterparts. And are you implying that IHRA Pro Stock cars aren't real? Whats more real about about an NHRA car? The only diffrence is the fact that NHRA has more money, if IHRA had the money that NASCAR spends on their BUSCH series you wouldn't hear about NHRA.

Smitty
I didn't mean that as a literal comparison. I do know quite a bit about the differences in the motor. But I am just not impressed with 300+ more cubes only going what .3 quicker. If NHRA Technology were applied to an IHRA motor ( and given the R and D time, etc.) they would probably be a good deal quicker than they are.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back