All in one valve, 3.60s in TF (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
I wonder how much affect the all in one valve is having on Top Fuel. We have seen quite a few 3.60s this year, and as far as I know, the latest gizmo is the all in one valve. Or is it due to refinement in the clutch curve/six disc clutch?

Just my opinion but I believe a great deal of the low 3.60's is in the clutch disc setup and having all that data log information after each run.
Once you learn to understand what it all means and how to apply that to the tune up and clutch setting interesting things start to happen.

I remember the days of painting the rear tires trying to determine the about of wheel spin and now its all in the data log system.
Having the data log really has made a big difference

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Just my opinion but I believe a great deal of the low 3.60's is in the clutch disc setup and having all that data log information after each run.
Once you learn to understand what it all means and how to apply that to the tune up and clutch setting interesting things start to happen.

I remember the days of painting the rear tires trying to determine the about of wheel spin and now its all in the data log system.
Having the data log really has made a big difference

Jim Hill

I think another crucial piece to that puzzle is not only knowing what the data log says, but knowing the exact setup you had that produced that data. Don Higgins, who appears to no longer be a member of this forum, wrote a program geared for use by crew chiefs. I wonder if his program (and others like it) log that kind of information. If not, I can see there being some kind of spreadsheet, light weight database, or other homegrown electronic solution for this, in case the crew chief gets hit by a bus, or their notepad gets ruined.

Last edited:
Can't totally agree that the 6 disk is the total solution to the .'60's because I believe some teams are still running the 5 disk and having similar results. especially funny car pulling the #'s that they are.

Having either a 5 or 6 disk setup will work if you have each stage of the clutch setup to engage at the correct point on the track which changes run to run based on a number of variables.

It's my opinion that some teams have a much better understanding of the data and how to apply it in their setup.

Jim Hill

Yes some run 5 some run 6, if you look at which crew chiefs are running the numbers, it is mostly the same few.

It's whole package and being able to keep refining it.

NHRA has a pretty good handle on track prep and the teams have a good idea of what the track is or isn't.

It also it helps that they have had cool conditions for a test and two straight races. I'd imagine a few will have to do an about face if Gainesville is humid and warm.

I think most of the touring dragsters have made the switch to the 6 disc, we still run a 5 disc.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back