#1 on NHRA'S Black List (1 Viewer)

So, is Mr. Wolf bashing or just being outspoken? :D

My very first thought when I heard of this was "NHRA affirmative action" and I still say that's what it is. I also predicted that they'd reverse this based on, IMO, the ridiculousness of it and I still do.

I just don't think a points leading team busting their butts for a sponsor is going to want numbers 2-8 to have more of a shot at him in the last few races than what they've EARNED all season.

Let's say Evan Knoll and Jim Jannard got together over lunch, pooled their pocket change, and purchased the IHRA. Then they decided that in order to possibly increase late season fan interest and media attention, they would institute a playoff-type points chase. If this had happened, all the gloom-and-doomers would be burning up their keyboards and crawling all over each other to slap them on the back and thank them for being visionaries and heroes and saving the sport of drag racing.

I have a lot of respect for both Evan Knoll & Jim Jannard & what they bring to the sport of drag racing, and truth be told, I have a lot of respect for Graham Light & Tom Compton... but my opinion of the new system remains unchanged, regardless of whose idea it was.

From Ron Dunlap - "So, is Mr. Wolf bashing or just being outspoken?"
I think the point of Jeff's latest article is more about the miserable job being performed by Compton and his suits than the new points system.
NHRA "Members" who paid (if my math is correct) $4,800,000.00 in dues this year have no say in setting policies and no access to how this money, millions of dollars paid by sportsman racers in entry fees and fees extracted from teams and vendors trying to sell merchandise are being distributed.
It is a sad situation when the LAST place backmarker in any NASCAR Nextel Cup race wins more than the TF or FC winner at NHRA's biggest race.
Is Jeff being outspoken? Of course he is - that's Jeff! He has the guts to state what is obvious to people who have followed the sport. It would be interesting to see an honest reply from NHRA, but that ain't gonna happen.

Let's say Evan Knoll and Jim Jannard got together over lunch, pooled their pocket change, and purchased the IHRA. Then they decided that in order to possibly increase late season fan interest and media attention, they would institute a playoff-type points chase. If this had happened, all the gloom-and-doomers would be burning up their keyboards and crawling all over each other to slap them on the back and thank them for being visionaries and heroes and saving the sport of drag racing.
First let me welcome you to the Mater!
I like your thinking about Jim and Evan but that's where you lose me and I'm afraid most Maters with the idea we would slap them on the back for penalizing the points champion in favor of a competitive welfare system.

This system is poor at best regardless of who presented it and the fact that they dumped this load in such a secretive manner makes it stink even worse than the system itself.

If Evan Knoll and Bruton Smith get together and get serious that would be interesting don't you think? :rolleyes:
I have one problem with IHRA and that is they have no West Coast events! :mad:
I don't like the new system but if the membership wants to do something they will have to have all members boycott all events and I don't see that happening.
You can also make a statement by not renewing your membership that is what I chose to do.

If Evan Knoll and Bruton Smith get together and get serious that would be interesting don't you think? :rolleyes:
I have one problem with IHRA and that is they have no West Coast events! :mad:
I don't like the new system but if the membership wants to do something they will have to have all members boycott all events and I don't see that happening.
You can also make a statement by not renewing your membership that is what I chose to do.

I don't think so. It is what it is, no matter who came up with the idea.

I just don't think a points leading team busting their butts for a sponsor is going to want numbers 2-8 to have more of a shot at him in the last few races than what they've EARNED all season.

Absolute dead-center bullseye. If Team X isn't in the hunt after 17 races, so be it. Try again next year. This "system" unfairly punishes (potentially) the teams that have earned their positions up to Indy. Weak, contrived BS, IMO.

Formerly kingcobrafan

Last edited:
From Ron Dunlap - "So, is Mr. Wolf bashing or just being outspoken?"
I think the point of Jeff's latest article is more about the miserable job being performed by Compton and his suits than the new points system.

I've just been having a little fun with those terms lately. Often, around here, whether you're "bashing" or just being "outspoken" can depend on who you are. (some of us are sharpening horns while others naturally just put their halos on first thing in the morning when they get up, LOL) Same thing above your post. Apparently someone thinks that whether we think this is a good idea or not depends on who has it or implements it.

I've seen people on here who were obviously kissing someone's butt because of who they were/what they're worth and I've seen people on here obviously disrespecting (envy would only be a guess on my part--unless you think I'm bashing, LOL) someone because of who they were/what they're worth, and I try to do neither. I think you can be nice or an a$$hole either way.

As far as partnering up, I think mavericks have a hard time sharing the CEO chair and you're not even going to begin to get that to happen. They want to make their own successes and mistakes. :)

Last edited:
It would seem that the general consensus of opinon is that most don't particularly like the new system but could live with it if they tossed out the "cut to the final four'. I myself do not liked contrived competition in any form. However if it helps drag racing to get more people interested in it I am at least willing to step back and watch.

It would also seem that real issue that most people are "up on the tires" about is the way in which it was handled. Regardless of the original intent of the decision, it has come off as autocratic and arrogant. Does NHRA have the right the do as they please, Absolutely. Is it good business sense to upset your paying long term base, no not really. Being an old fart I can remember when there was a far less adviserial nature to the relationship between NHRA and the racers. Yes of course there have always been disagreements but on the whole it wasn't too bad. After all it was drag racing and we were ALL racers just trying to make the RACING better.

Now all of this has changed. It is not about the racing, it is about the business of putting people in the stands and making money. Nothing against making money and yes I understand that putting people in the stands helps keep a lot of sponsers happy but all of this started when the racers went and were replaced by people with good intentions of making it "better" but really didn't have a clue about what this racing culture was all about.

So what do we do? Well actually you only have a few real choices. First just go along and don't say anything. Two accept the fact the rules changes have been made and hope that before they are implemented they come to their senses about eliminating the cut to the final four as after all they can always re-instate it.......

Three turn to another form of drag racing. What is your flavor? For some people who need a national orginisation there is the IHRA. For others there are enough of the smaller groups that provide more direct aplication of the type of racing that interest you most. For instance it could be Pro-Mod, Nostalgia racing, Fuel Altereds or maybe just going to your favorite local track or tracks to see some really good racing and people who do it just for the pure love of the sport. Remember that???????

The point of all this is simple. The world we live in has so many choices that to sit and just bitch about one choice and do nothing else really weakens your position. Get up off your a$$ and go explore and find what really trips your trigger and get involved with that. You just might be surprised to learn the Drag Racing, not the business but REAL drag racing done for the love of the sport exists today and is doing very well and is growing.

Just my opinon.....
jim

i'm one of those fans who's paid for a membership for several years, but I won't again. why . so i can read the approved propaganda rag and feel special?

my only way to protest this other than not going to the races which I'm not willing to give up is to not renew. so i won't .
the 'nhra member tent' ain't really that big a deal. :p

Just as a note, if Bruton purchased any portion of the IHRA, he owns tracks on the west coast, and has pull with other owners as well. They would add races further west.

The point of all this is simple. The world we live in has so many choices that to sit and just bitch about one choice and do nothing else really weakens your position. Get up off your a$$ and go explore and find what really trips your trigger and get involved with that. You just might be surprised to learn the Drag Racing, not the business but REAL drag racing done for the love of the sport exists today and is doing very well and is growing.

Just my opinon.....
jim
Great, great post..........

my only way to protest this other than not going to the races which I'm not willing to give up is to not renew. so i won't .
the 'nhra member tent' ain't really that big a deal. :p

I'm going to keep watching & going to the races, so what you're doing is a good way to protest things with the NHRA Yankee, the only problem is we have to have a substancial number (very, very, very large #) of members (who are fans) doing the same thing at the same time in order for them to take notice of us... but ya' gotta' start somewhere:). Right now I think only the drivers & teams are organized enough for that... & currently I don't think they're strong enough to do much. The top brass in Glendora can basically do whatever they want without much opposition... it's not a democratic organization as (unless I'm mistaking) Jon Asher pointed out.

I'm all for change, obviously change is always going to happen in every aspect of life whether we like it or not. Some changes we like right away, some we don't & never will... the only thing I would protest with this particular (points) change is the second cut to 4 for the last 2 races.:)

fwiw....I will keep watching, reading, following. And I'll also renew my membership. The audiocasts on Friday and Saturday are worth the annual fee, imho.

The cut down to four cars for the last two races is what did it for me...I don`t really mind the eight car cutdown, but to go to four at Vegas 2 and Pomona 2 is ridiculous. I`m seriously thinking about not renewing my membership too, the ND usually hits the trash less than 12 hours after I get it, and I don`t get to sit at a desk all day and listen to the live audiocast on Fridays, I have way too many people to deal with.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back