#1 on NHRA'S Black List (1 Viewer)

...But you are right, the sky is not falling. I don't like the new system at all but I love drag racing and will go with it and see how it pans out. Just my .02!!

I love drag racing as well. But I think this new points system sucks. Sure, I'll undoubtedly still attend the races at Pacific Raceways when they roll into town next summer - at least for now. However, my wife and I had already planned to attend the races next year at Sonoma as well. In fact we were seriously considering making it an annual trip. Now, specifically because of this new points system, we are going to attend the Gold Cup sprint car races at Chico instead.

Finally, while I have made it clear that I do not like the new point system, what I like even less is the manner in which this change took place. If some kind of consensus could have been reached among the drivers and fans in making this decision, I could have lived with the results even if what was decided were exactly the same.

Well I will say this. I thought the drivers/owners/sponsors would be outraged but the few that I talked to were actually ok with it. They just didnt like the last 2 races deciding the championship. And then when I heard they owners and drivers on tv or what was reported on Comp Plus, they seemed the same way. It kinda surprised me. I mean, it could be so they dont become blacksheep by speaking out, but they seemed ok with the chase just not the last 2, which I think is even more ridiculous. They might as well show up at Pomona and flip a coin, but thats my opinion.

Ask Larry Morgan about what happens to a racer when he voices his real opinion.

Can someone please explain to me what was wrong with the old points system? I understand that NHRA is trying to keep from having a runaway champ. BUT why penalize someone that is on their game an busting butt to win everything??? Now just be mediocre an finish in the top 8 during the first part and you in the points chase?? What happens if someone comes out HOT an wins all the first part races an then loses to the team that was in 8th place? Does that seem fair to anyone??

SORRY I just don't understand!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Wolf does it again!

I thought his comments regarding the new points scheme were excellent, but he's just published another piece which is better than the first. I'm about ready to nominate this guy for the Pulitzer Prize or something.

Here's a link that may or may not work:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/Sep-08-Fri-2006/sports/9496783.html

I can't get the link I have to work, but the piece is easily found.

Just go to http://www.reviewjournal.com

Click on "Sports" in the narrow blue bar just below the top banner.

Select "Jeff Wolf - NHRA Honchos Fuel Anger"

HOLY CRAP! And I though Asher was tough on NHRA. Whew dawgie!

Ask Larry Morgan about what happens to a racer when he voices his real opinion.

Larry is one of my Favorite racers, and I can't stand it how the NHRA always likes to pick on him. A couple of years ago he goes on a tirade when he got DQ'd for being too light (which was erroneous and I agreed with 100% of what he said), this year he speaks about the timing issue and comes out with a GREAT shirt and the NHRA tells him to stop selling it.

I have a lot of respect for most of the people on here, Doc, PJ, Dan, Jim, etc. And I'm all for sharing thoughts and opinions. But statements like "the day drag racing died" or "this is going to ruin the sport" are a little over the top, don't you think? Like it or not, the vast majority of our fans, attend only one or two races a year and have a favorite or two as well. When the races come to your town you go out and root for Ron Capps (just to pick a name). And can't stand Whit (Just to pick another one) When Whit gets beat, they cheer loudly, when Ron gets beat, they don't really care anymore. Sure, they'll hang around and see who does win, but the thrill is gone for that day. (I actually met some Texas fans, that loved KB and when he would get beat they would just go home). Once their guy (or gal) is out of championship contention they don't follow as closely as they would if their guy was still "alive". With the new format, there is a much better chance that the casual fan will either have someone to cheer, or someone to boo at the end of the year. How much do you enjoy the last 30 minutes of a mystery movie, if you know who done it halfway through?

Rich just said that he isn't going to Sonoma next year. Are you saying that the race won't be any good because the point system has changed? When I was a kid, I would go to the AHRA nationals here in Tucson if a car had #1 on it he must be the champ, but I didn't care about that, I just wanted to see the cars run. After that I started going to Firebird for the same reason, just to see the cars and the stars. The only National Dragster I ever saw was the one that I got at the track. I have evolved. Those of us here at "The Mater" are hard core fans, sorry to break this to you but we don't really represent the majority of the ticket buying public.

Hey Kelly, (I love ya, I'm just using you as an example) I know you follow the Astro's. Do you still watch games with the same intensity after they have been "mathematically eliminated" from playoff contention? I don’t watch much Baseball, but I try not to miss the ALCS or the NLCS and I damn sure don’t miss the World Series.

I think you all know where I work. If you think that I’m just following the company line, that’s fine. But the reality is that this will be good for us. And if you want to discuss it send me a phone number at [email protected], and I’ll call you.

Alan

P.S. AS ALWAYS, THIS IS MY OPINION, I’M NOT SPEAKING FOR NHRA.

epiphany

Glendora didn't like the new Nitromater, so they figured they'd shake things up a little with a new points system... the 'Mater had gotten to lovey dovey for them & they just couldn't stand for that.:p

Alan, THANK YOU! This is not the end of the world. The rules are not carved in granite and the folks that inhabit this place ARE hard core. Alan is right when he says that average fan in the stands can't tell you who's in what place in the standing and really could CARE LESS.

Alan, what is it you've said to me about asking that question at a national event when you're announcing? 'How many of you are attending your first national event'? If I remember correctly you said the hand showing at every event you've done this is about 20%. Those folks couldn't care less who's leading the points. It's make LOTS OF NOISE AND FIRE and that all they care about. Believe me you care A LOT more than the average fan.

Lets just take the top ten cars after the last pomona event. Then have a run off on Monday morning. One run for all the marbles. Quickest ET is the year-long champ in the heads up class. Closest to the number in the bracket/index classes, and furthest under in comp, etc.
Makes as much sense as the two race deal. And my idea will have MORE DRAMA!
I am sorry. I am done arguing this point. I am just going to have to be on your black list for life Alan. Cuz I just cannot swallow a two race deal and call that a year long champ.
I'm dun!

I'm the old guy here, or maybe I should say olde guy. I've seen any number of changes to things as they were throughout my life. So I'd like to give a little perspective from the gray beard point of vantage.
The NHRA should have consulted carefully with the Professional Racers' Organization.
A consensus has developed that the cutdown to eight cars is reasonable. The fractiousness concerns what happens thereafter. A few minutes consultation with "the troops" would have given the NHRA a basis for setting in place a new program with wide support. It is likely that even the opponents of change would have adopted a wait and see attitude.
Consider how intensely these teams compete. Then, consider how disruptive it is for the NHRA to announce a new system for reaching the Championship at the most hotly contested event of the year with the current points chase on everyone's mind. This was the wrong plan, reached in the wrong way, announced in the wrong way at the wrong time and place. Other than that . . .
The worrisome thing is this: notwithstanding NHRA's professed interest in making changes that improve the sport, they don't seem to learn.
The Pro Stock Truck program was allegedly tested in the year before it was put in place. What testing was done? What was their thesis? What data did they collect? How did they analyze it? PST came a cropper. Their test year must have taught them little or nothing.
When they decided to move the Ohio race to Norwalk they did not, apparently consult or inform GM. The Norwalk deal looks good to me and the NHRA certainly wanted it to be seen as a positive move. Ought they not have discussed the idea with GM?
I've been involved in politics for decades and have seen too many otherwise good people get in office and forget what got them there. I cal it the "Marie Antoinette Syndrome."
We need always to remember what got us here. My hope is that the NHRA will listen to the backchat on this and move to a more transparent process of change.
Then someone more gifted than I can complain about that!
Cheers,
Ed

Seriously

I've mentioned that I'm not a fan of the new points system (not yet atleast), but Alan's right, the sky isn't falling. I'm willing to give it a couple of years and it does seem to have tremendous potential imo. Alan also mentioned that KB said it may need a little tweaking if I'm not mistaking. You're going to have a final 8 drivers in each class right? Leave it alone after that, you don't need an additional cut a few races later. You've already bunched the field up, they shouldn't need any more assitance to keep up.

Jeff Wolf has certainly gotten things stirred up, he has a way of doing that sometimes.:D I respect his writing (it's only his opinion btw), but I think he makes some really good points. Alas, only time will tell with this thing now... It's going to happen, and I'm not going to miss the racing action for anything --- quoting Alan once again,
"Those of us here at "The Mater" are hard core fans, sorry to break this to you but we don't really represent the majority of the ticket buying public." Changing things a little or a lot won't keep me away from my passion. You'd have to tie me up and bury me in concrete to keep me from watching or attending one of my favorite things in the world!

Hey Kelly, (I love ya, I'm just using you as an example) I know you follow the Astro's. Do you still watch games with the same intensity after they have been "mathematically eliminated" from playoff contention? I don’t watch much Baseball, but I try not to miss the ALCS or the NLCS and I damn sure don’t miss the World Series.

Just like baseball, this point system can give fans of drivers not in the championship race a new reason for interest. Their favorite can now be the spoiler in the the last couple races of the season and can actually block a driver from winning. Sure, it can happen now but it will be much more likely under the new system.

Jim

And yeah, oh, by the way, the racer who has been successful for 17 races and has a bad couple of races, is thrilled to death with the new system. :rolleyes:

You bet your ass I do! I watch THEIR games just as intently once they are out of it. And believe me, in th 26 years I've been a fan they've been out of it more than they've been in it.

Same with Ron....I've rooted for him just as hard (maybe harder) when he wasn't in contention because I knew how good it was for him to win THAT race regardless of the Championship status.

A win is a win. :)

I didnt like it when NASCAR changed the points deal and I dont like it that NHRA did but stop me from following the sport? No on both counts and I'll be sitting on my patio watching the cup race from Richmond saturday night.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back