#1 on NHRA'S Black List (1 Viewer)

IMHO - my friend has this all right. And . . . Reinhart your comment that Jeff's opinion doesn't matter has seriously damaged my respect for you.
Jim, you may think Jeff has it all right, but Alan is correct when stating that he could have found a much better way of presenting it as a professional journalist. My teenage daughter writes with more intellect and respect for others than your friend does.:rolleyes:

..........................When sponsors find that the team they have spent big bucks to race are done after Indy - this is going to get ugly.
It's already after Indy, most of the teams are already out of the championship chase:eek:

Alan Reinhart

Without any implications, I would like to ask you a question. If you choose not to answer, I completely understand. If you do answer, I will take you at your word and move on.

Did you have any indication that a change in the points system was forthcoming before the announcement at Indy?

What I don't understand, with the points race as tight as it is in PS/TF/ and FC this year, why change? Just thought I'd ask

Because changing the points will help guarantee more ticket sales for the finals at the NHRA-owned track in Pomona, which in turn will help pay for the new construction going on there?

Because changing the points will help guarantee more ticket sales for the finals at the NHRA-owned track in Pomona, which in turn will help pay for the new construction going on there?

The finals are always a big draw anyways, and the 05 F/C battle was proof that the system wasn't broken and doesn't need fixing(or chasing).

We were packed like sardines at that race, and exciting as all get out.
It was real. It was authentic. It was not "created" by the Glendora braintrust.

From Lance - "Jim, you may think Jeff has it all right, but Alan is correct when stating that he could have found a much better way of presenting it as a professional journalist. My teenage daughter writes with more intellect and respect for others than your friend does"
Well . . . Jeff might have been amped up on this and could have been more PC. But, it's not his job to be PC! He has the guts to state what most of us are thinking about the people who are running NHRA. You may not like the way he expressed his opinions, but can you refute what is going on in NHRA?
And then we have the respect issue . . . respect for Compton and Light? Maybe we should have a poll to see who respects these "leaders" for screwing up our sport!

The finals are always a big draw anyways, and the 05 F/C battle was proof that the system wasn't broken and doesn't need fixing(or chasing).

We were packed like sardines at that race, and exciting as all get out.
It was real. It was authentic. It was not "created" by the Glendora braintrust.

Except the points race, under the present system, has usually been decided before the finals. I've covered NHRA drag racing since 1993. Off the top of my head in those 13 years, I can only recall three times in Funny Car where it came down to the final race (and only twice where it was a possible winner take all), and in Top Fuel its either already been decided or the leader just had to qualify to win the championship.
That's why NHRA decided on this method. I know when Force lost to Tony Pedregon at the Finals last year, there was a certain buzz in the air. I had never heard a drag racing crowd react like that before.
I have to believe, contrived or not, people are going to be excited if two drivers in each of the three main pro classes come into Pomona within one round of each other. If that happens, say the next two or three years, then it will catch on. If not, then they might want to try another method. I'm willing to wait and seeing what's going to happen.
The one part where I feel NHRA has an advantage over NASCAR's chase is at least NHRA will decide its championships at some of the sport's more high-profile races - Indy, Dallas, Las Vegas, Pomona, where NASCAR decides its title at such historical settings like Martinsville, New Hampshire and Homestead, Fla.

Last edited:
Except the points race, under the present system, has usually been decided before the finals. I've covered NHRA drag racing since 1993. Off the top of my head in those 13 years, I can only recall three times in Funny Car where it came down to the final race (and only twice where it was a possible winner take all), and in Top Fuel its either already been decided or the leader just had to qualify to win the championship.
That's why NHRA decided on this method. I know when Force lost to Tony Pedregon at the Finals last year, there was a certain buzz in the air. I had never heard a drag racing crowd react like that before.
I have to believe, contrived or not, people are going to be excited if two drivers in each of the three main pro classes come into Pomona within one round of each other. If that happens, say the next two or three years, then it will catch on. If not, then they might want to try another method. I'm willing to wait and seeing what's going to happen.
The one part where I feel NHRA has an advantage over NASCAR's chase is at least NHRA will decide its championships at some of the sport's more high-profile races - Indy, Dallas, Las Vegas, Pomona, where NASCAR decides its title at such historical settings like Martinsville, New Hampshire and Homestead, Fla.

moral - the ends justify the means. to the bean counters. but not to real fans.

If that happens, say the next two or three years, then it will catch on. If not, then they might want to try another method. I'm willing to wait and seeing what's going to happen.

And in that time, some of the teams that have been pushed out of the championship after having run well all season, may just have moved on to other ways to make a living.

I don’t yet know what I think of the points system. I do feel a pretty strong “the sky is falling” mentality coming from members of the ‘Mater, which I understand, as a lot of people are resistant to change of any kind. I do think that anyone who is going to pack it up and quit going to races because they are eliminated from the final 8 isn’t and will never be a championship contender. You have to have the desire to win EVERY race EVERY weekend, regardless of where you are in the points. A lot of people race all year, every year, with little or no chance to win the championship, just the desire to win one of those little men. There are a lot of “fans” who come out to see the circus and have NO idea what is going on, how the points work, etc., and won’t stop coming out just because the points structure is different than in years past. These are the same people who still can’t understand how a slower ET can win or higher MPH can go with the slower ET, etc. They make up a sizeable portion of the paid attendance, and won’t be affected. I do think the last “cut” is unnecessary and leaves too much to chance, and I believe the old system worked fine most of the time, but I am going to do my best to wait and see before I jump on one bandwagon or the other.

I've had to revise my thoughts on the new points system but still wonder how the sponsor's below the front eight are going to react.
Cutting money for a car that's out of the chase is still a concern.
I mean this is not NASCAR .
Our more limited exposure time is still a sensitive area.
What they are saying is its basically putting a label on what is usally going on at the end of the season with a sudden death thrown in for good measure.
Drag Racing and sudden death racing are old friends

I've had to revise my thoughts on the new points system but still wonder how the sponsor's below the front eight are going to react.
Cutting money for a car that's out of the chase is still a concern.
I mean this is not NASCAR .
Our more limited exposure time is still a sensitive area...............
The way it will play out is just like this past weekend in NASCAR, cars in 8th, 9th, 10th, etc. will get the majority of the exposure for the last two events leading up to the cut for 8 cars, it's going to be all about who gets the last spots. I would be willing to say that they will get alot more exposure than they presently get throughout a season with the current system in place. Sure, once the cut to 8 happens they won't recieve as much coverage, but look what's happening now, cars in 5th place and down have ZERO chance of winning a championship this season and are not getting much of any coverage with 5 races left.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back