1/4 mile (1 Viewer)

ryanmiller1207

Nitro Member
The 4-wide format is now a once a year race and seems like it is here to stay. Would it be possible for the nitro cars to run the 1/4 mile at one race a year, i think it would be something we all would enjoy seeing.

I think it is about time for the people who want to see the nitro cars run 1/4 mile to accept that it ain't going to happen. In addition to the extra costs, tune up changes and no desire on the part of the fuel car owner/drivers there are major issues. One major problem is Goodyear fuel tires are only rated to 350 mph and I can guarantee that they are not going to make a tire for one race.
So you 1/4 mile dreamers - quit dreaming it's not ever going back to 1/4 mile.

I love 1/4 mile. However, I have to be realistic. 1/4 mile isn't going to happen.

My crystal ball isn't any better than anyone else but it says all classes at NHRA nat'l events and divisional events will be 1000 foot by the 2017 season if not by the 2016 season.

Was watching from the stands at Famosa. Noticed that when a pair got down to the 1/8th, most spectators were already looking back at the starting line to see what the next pair was. Seems very few spectators have any interest on the back half unless something blows up.

Was watching from the stands at Famosa. Noticed that when a pair got down to the 1/8th, most spectators were already looking back at the starting line to see what the next pair was. Seems very few spectators have any interest on the back half unless something blows up.

That seems weird ... They didn't want to watch the scoreboards to see who won? ET's? MPH?

by the 1/8th most races have been decided nowadays, speed and et mean little!! fire the next pair to see who is going to go into shake or smoke the tires next?

We were going to put a 60' track next to the shop complete with timers, etc, so customers could come up and dial in their 60 foots. As it is, they need to go to the track and make runs just to do that.

I think it is about time for the people who want to see the nitro cars run 1/4 mile to accept that it ain't going to happen. In addition to the extra costs, tune up changes and no desire on the part of the fuel car owner/drivers there are major issues. One major problem is Goodyear fuel tires are only rated to 350 mph and I can guarantee that they are not going to make a tire for one race.
So you 1/4 mile dreamers - quit dreaming it's not ever going back to 1/4 mile.

Extra costs – fallacy. It costs more to run the stuff harder than ever like they do in 1,000 ft. And for those who question if parts are being pushed harder, consider that in order to run 330 in 1,000 ft. you must accelerate more quickly than to run that same speed in a longer distance

Tune up changes – fallacy. Every team has 1/4 mile tuneups. Sure they have different ones for 1,000 ft., but they haven’t forgotten how to run to 1,320.

No desire on the part of the fuel car owner (and/or crew chiefs) – BINGO! We have a winner. Everyone is afraid of losing their technological advantage; which by extension is the ability to win, thus make money. Thing is, if the rules changed overnight, everyone would be on equal footing trying to sort it out!

No desire on the part of …drivers – mostly false. There are many outspoken drivers who advocate getting back to 1,320 even if it means slightly taming the cars.

Goodyear fuel tires are only rated to 350 mph – true. And if you take a 1,000 ft. 330 mph pass and extrapolate it you’d see they would be running very close to 350 mph. They would have to slow the cars somewhat to have a safety margin.

So if it “ain't going to happen” it’s because of the sanctioning body kowtowing to crew chiefs and owners rather than giving the fans what they want.

If that's what your crystal ball saying, you should spray paint it black with Rust-Oleum paint and drop into an ocean.

LOL I guess your right. It's for sure I greatly favor 1/4 mile racing but I do believe it will become a thing of the past. I just think they very much need to dress the track from the starting line to the finish line the same. If in fact 1/4 mile is gone then 1000' will have to happen. Hear me now and believe me later.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back