1/8 Mile Drag Racing (1 Viewer)

IF and a big IF, they had three distances 1/8, 1000 and 1/4 then maybe. But I just don't like 1/8th mile. Was at an event where it got too late and the dew set in. They had nitro go 1/8 mile. I didn't like it.

Had a big sportsmen event I used to go to almost every year, they went to 1/8 mile. Went one year, haven't been back. Now perhaps seeing these events on 1/8 built tracks would help but I doubt it.
I feel like I'm being ripped off every run.
8th mile is a ripoff,im sure if they do it nhra will lower the ticket prices LOL

Some of you just can't help yourselves. They are not going back to 1/4 mile. Get over it. At this point, you are in the minority.
Absolutely, and after 15 years of it and attending several national events including the one at the Texas Motorplex every year, I don't feel like I'm being cheated out of 320 feet of entertainment. I was used to it by the time the very first 1000' race I went to had wrapped up.

I dunno about running 1/8 mile at a national-event track where 1000 foot fuel races are currently being held. FCC did well at the Motorplex but that was a totally separate event that had nothing to do with the regular NHRA schedule and points system. And Clay isn't talking about reducing NHRA fuel racing to 660 feet. Sounds like he's of the same opinion I've always had - that 50 percent of something is better than 100 percent of nothing and that for areas that have closed because of space considerations like Englishtown could be revived with a shorter venue. After all, fans still get 90 percent of the nitro experience - the pit warmups, the smell, noise, after-dark flames and watching cars accelerate to nearly 300mph in 3 seconds.

Our local track, an excellent 1/8 mile all-concrete facility including the entire pit area, could host some kind of nitro event with some careful prepping. It can hold some high-3 second big tire cars right now. It's not suited for a national event because we're not close to a large population center and the facility itself would never be able to serve crowds of that size. But if they announced a 8-car Top Fuel event with a few big names attending do you think I'd boycott it over the shorter distance? Hell, I'd be there as soon as they swung the gates open.

Fans will come if it's promoted right. NASCAR got a ton of publicity and attendance when they built a track inside a California football stadium, for crying out loud, where 200mph cars didn't even approach half that speed. But they got the NASCAR experience with all the sights and sounds and it worked.

It's ok to miss 1/4, doesn't mean we don't realize it's never coming back.

If NFL went to 80 yard fields we'd all get used to it eventually. Doesn't mean we'd like it. if it went to 50 yards....well then we'd have arena football again and that didn't make for a winner. Same with drag racing. There is only so short it can go before it isn't worth it to fans or racers anymore.

And a couple of those races are on 1/4 facilities. Dallas and Cordova come to mind.

Some people should take a second and think about how many venues have the space and facilities to host a NHRA National event. There aren't many options. If there are a couple 1/8 tracks capable of hosting an NHRA race, then why not.

We've raced at a three 1/8 mile top fuel events. Huntsville, Alabama, IHRA San Antonio and IHRA Toronto. The two IHRA events started off as 1/4 mile, but a deteriorating track surface and rain at another caused them to be switched to 1/8 mile.

That's where I met you Tony. Didn't Millican win that race? The biggest payout ever @ the time,$100K.

That's where I met you Tony. Didn't Millican win that race? The biggest payout ever @ the time,$100K.
Yes he did. I think he got a little under the table to show up as well. He beat Tim Gibson driving Rex Stevens car in the final. TJ red-lighted 🙄 in the semi's against Gibson.

It was hot as hell, but a fun race. And so much for racing for big purses. None of the NHRA regulars showed up. Virgil Hartman entered two cars to help fill out the 8 car field.

Yes he did. I think he got a little under the table to show up as well. He beat Tim Gibson driving Rex Stevens car in the final. TJ red-lighted 🙄 in the semi's against Gibson.

It was hot as hell, but a fun race. And so much for racing for big purses. None of the NHRA regulars showed up. Virgil Hartman entered two cars to help fill out the 8 car field.
The promoter was a very good friend of mine. He couldn't believe none of the top NHRA teams showed up to race for that kind of money. Later on he was told the reason they didn't come was because they thought it was a scam and the purse wouldn't be paid. Well he paid it and I guess they fooled for sure. He even had Big Daddy doing commentary on the race.

Several years ago I was at Famosa for a Saturday night Nitro event, Sitting in the stands, I noticed that at leas 90% of the people followed the cars to the 1/8th mile then looked back to the starting line to see what was next. Only exception was if one was out of shape, on fire, or some other potential issue.

Several years ago I was at Famosa for a Saturday night Nitro event, Sitting in the stands, I noticed that at leas 90% of the people followed the cars to the 1/8th mile then looked back to the starting line to see what was next. Only exception was if one was out of shape, on fire, or some other potential issue.
Now that you mentioned that, have you noticed at national events, the closer to the finish line the fewer the spectators.

Have noticed over the years that when you sit past 1/8 mile, it's hard to see the cars on the starting line. Sure, you see 'em when they get down to where you are, but a lot of the fun of watching is seeing the cars do the burnouts, etc. You really can't tell who is who unless you hear the announcer. If I was at an 1/8 mile race, could sit around 330 mark. No problem seeing cars on the starting line and would be a lot easier to see the finish line as well. Just my 20 cents. (Used to be 2 cents, but inflation....)

I don't get on the Mater very often, so I just saw this thread about 1/8 mile racing. I raced 1/4 mile for over 40 years without ever even going to a 1/8 mile event. My first one was either the 2nd or 3rd ever Funny Car Chaos at Amarillo. Does it take less time to get to the finish line ... yes (hopefully!). But is it still a good show? I would argue that the success of Funny Car and Nitro Chaos say it must be pretty good. Even on 1/4 mile tracks like Ennis, it sure seems like people like it. From a racer perspective, I occasionally wish I could leg it to the finish line. But my wallet appreciates the 1/8 and it makes for some really good racing. In today's environment, we should all be grateful for whatever racing we can have.
Honestly the racing is pretty darned good ... here is a sample of a top 10 big show TA/FC racing a small blower/medium pump nitro car.

The $10,000 Race - Greenberg over Smith

Lyle Greenberg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back