Where do you think drag racing is going for 2021? (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Was reading the article on CompPlus about Australian drag racing & what they want to do for 2021. OK, how about NHRA? Am thinking economy. Would current economy support 24 race series for NHRA? Should they cut back to 20, as an example? Sportsmen racing - stay the same or?? Virus. Will this virus eventually die off or do we get used to racing w/ masks as we're doing now? Changes in classes or format. "What if".... more 1/8 mile racing, even for Sportsmen (Galot comes to mind w/ 1/8 mile Divisional race). National meets. Keep the 2 shot Q on Friday & race on Sat? OK, I'm just stirring the pot and would like to know what fellow Maters think. A lot of you folks know way more than I do about things & I'd like to hear what you have to say. If I have my way about it, I'll still be going to the drags when I'm 100 years old..... heh

Your question prompted another question: What, if any, would the TV ratings change for a Saturday night Finals on live TV vs Sunday Finals?

I'd think live attendance would increase for a Saturday night Finals, not sure how TV would be impacted. Post-Covid, perhaps NHRA could try Saturday evening Finals to see how it goes.

You never know until you try.

Great topic Cliff. I think pro racing has needed a reset for quite awhile, maybe 2020 will force it to happen going forward. The good news is, there are still plenty of racers out there wanting run the pro classes, as evidenced by more than full fields even with many cars not coming out yet. I don't know what the magic formula is, but it will never become any easier to find 3Mil per year to run a fuel car for 24 events, and will actually only get harder and harder. So IMO this is a great time for the racers and NHRA to put their heads together and create a plan for the future.

the economy will be back. covid will be more manageable. we can not and will not remain distanced and scared. i could see a few nat. events that go for the 2 day format, but also
wouldn't be surprised if all nat. events still have 4Q passes and eliminate on sundays. 2021 will have 24 nat. events. i expect a huge rebound in this country.

I'd like to see a return to 3 day events. Having only 2 qualifying sessions has everyone "playing it safe" resulting in ridiculously scrambled fields. We're not seeing anyone's best efforts (No moon shots).
That said, the abbreviated qualifying has given some - usually also-rans - some Sunday exposure.

Your question prompted another question: What, if any, would the TV ratings change for a Saturday night Finals on live TV vs Sunday Finals?

I'd think live attendance would increase for a Saturday night Finals, not sure how TV would be impacted. Post-Covid, perhaps NHRA could try Saturday evening Finals to see how it goes.

Isn't Sat night when a lot of people go out and do a lot of other things like going out for dinner, seeing a movie, getting together with other friends, or going to a bar or a party? I notice that most of the chat forums I am on are a lot less busy on Sat nights due to people doing other things. I know I'm usually slot car racing on Sat nights. But, as you said...you never know until you try. That would keep NHRA from having to compete against NASCAR as much and it would be interesting to see how it would effect the tv ratings.

the economy will be back. covid will be more manageable. we can not and will not remain distanced and scared. i could see a few nat. events that go for the 2 day format, but also
wouldn't be surprised if all nat. events still have 4Q passes and eliminate on sundays. 2021 will have 24 nat. events. i expect a huge rebound in this country.
If you want the great economy we had a year ago Make Sure You Vote Nov 3rd

Been saying this for years.
Give Sunday to the Sportsman, and let any Pro teams that want to test on Sunday get in where the show allows them to, like an exhibition run.

Drag Racing is a thousand times better at night, under the lights. Saturday night, I was going to Lions. If I had a date that did not want to go, I went with friends. There were six other days in the week to do other stuff. When we had our Alky Funny Car, we would run it to test and for fun on Wednesday nights. Saturday nights are for racing!!! The first date that I took my wife on was to OCIR. She never heard of drag racing before. It was at night and she loved it. That was almost 50 years ago.

If NHRA had Saturday night shows, I believe they would sell out every one of them. Night racing is better because your brain is not getting cooked by the sun all day and the track cools down so you see more complete runs. Also if the track is nearby, you can get done what you have to do before heading out to the track.

Last edited:
i have thought for yrs, there r too many races... vegas and charllote should only have 1 race ... any other races ya'll would cancell ?????

If you believe in following trends I think that drag racing will continue to decline in popularity for many different reasons.
Once any sport loses its appeal for TV coverage it's hard for people to follow and know what's going on and the numbers of viewers on TV have simply been not there.

What happening with drag racing is something many other forms of sports are also going through now and they are also wondering where their fans went and why!
Drag racing, however, will continue on more on a local level rather than a national level. The Corona Virus really is making it hard for them to figure out what to do next.

Nascar is also wondering what their future looks like and asking many of the same questions drag racers are.

I love drag racing but I am also a realist and I see what's going on with the NHRA producing their own shows and then trying to get them on TV.
I see how hard it is to find sponsors for drivers and teams and it is because the sport is in decline at this time and sponsors see other ways of getting a better ROI on their investments.

The path going forward for drag racing is changing in part because of people's interests are changing in what they like and what they are willing to spend their money on.

None of us have a crystal ball so it's hard to really predict if 2021 will be a better year for drag racing or if it will decline further.
For better or worse the NHRA may hold the keys to the future of drag racing.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill

If you believe in following trends I think that drag racing will continue to decline in popularity for many different reasons.
Once any sport loses its appeal for TV coverage it's hard for people to follow and know what's going on and the numbers of viewers on TV have simply been not there.

What happening with drag racing is something many other forms of sports are also going through now and they are also wondering where their fans went and why!
Drag racing, however, will continue on more on a local level rather than a national level. The Corona Virus really is making it hard for them to figure out what to do next.

Nascar is also wondering what their future looks like and asking many of the same questions drag racers are.

I love drag racing but I am also a realist and I see what's going on with the NHRA producing their own shows and then trying to get them on TV.
I see how hard it is to find sponsors for drivers and teams and it is because the sport is in decline at this time and sponsors see other ways of getting a better ROI on their investments.

The path going forward for drag racing is changing in part because of people's interests are changing in what they like and what they are willing to spend their money on.

None of us have a crystal ball so it's hard to really predict if 2021 will be a better year for drag racing or if it will decline further.
For better or worse the NHRA may hold the keys to the future of drag racing.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill
Drag Racing becomes a habit. My grandsons living proof. His first time to a Drag Race left on a winning note. I got bit 1970 and will take that pill everyday until I go on my next adventure.

I don't think that anybody can predict what's going to happen next year until the Covid-19 deal is figured out and who knows when that will be?
My advice is don't buy advance tickets for anything...

Comparing NASCAR and drag racing is like apples and oranges. Drag racing needs to go back to its roots and redevelop. 4 -6 national races, qualifing regional races for the championship, lots of flexibility for the track operator to run fri and sat races, as many quaifying runs as time allows, night runs etx.

I believe that cost is killing it. I worked at a speed shop in Toledo back in the 70's We sold JR headers for $69.95 and 600CFM Hollys for $49.95. Below is an example.
Holly #1850 600 CFM $49.95 @ minimum wage $2.10 = 23.78 hrs to pay for it
Holly #1850 600 CFM $346.95 @ minimum wage $8.70 = 39.88 hrs to pay for it.

That and the lack of any mechanical knowledge with the under 30 crowd is killing motorsports.

I'd like to see a return to 3 day events. Having only 2 qualifying sessions has everyone "playing it safe" resulting in ridiculously scrambled fields. We're not seeing anyone's best efforts (No moon shots).
That said, the abbreviated qualifying has given some - usually also-rans - some Sunday exposure.
I wouldn't call it playing it safe. I call it having to be smart. It eliminates throwing darts at a wall until something sticks. It begins to show who can adapt quicker to changes. No longer is it a show of strength, it is also a show of intelligence. Don't get me wrong, I like the moon shots too. You must choose wisely as to when to use them.

sure hope the pro categories can hang on, whether that means reduced events, fields, or dare suggest only one nitro class. also, current mello yello money (the small amount that it is) should only be used for the nitro category/s. you want 16-20 nitro cars to show and fans in stands?, you better pay them. they are your headliner. ....... just like E3/PM, and now Liberty/MMPS, IMO PS will sooner than later have to find it's own presenting sponsor/s to play (i.e., summit and jegs come to mind). HD should put up all monies for PSB already.
there are fewer and fewer nhra technical staff to tear down and inspect sportsman cars. bending rules is nothing new, and fewer tech to catch it. if lucas oil were to drop the sportsman series, and
another presenting sponsor can not be found, i think the demise of stock, SS, super categories, and comp could be looming in future; in it's place will be bracket racing, and the high horsepower cars
with latest turbo and supercharging; run what ya' brung racing (non-nhra).......rite now there is definitely a home for S/SS at regional non-nhra races. purses put up by entry fees and local businesses (often those of racers)

I don't think that it will look all that much different. The solution to the covid situation and being able to put fannies in the seats will determine a lot. The NHRA knows which races and venues are profitable. If there are a few races that don't turn the dollars, eliminate them but you still need enough races for adequate sponsor expose and speaking of sponsorship that will ride on the ability of the economy to recover. One other thing. Is the NHRA so cash strapped that they had to cut the professional layouts by 30%? For a business that traditionally generates 100 million in revenue annually, maintaining payouts to the stars of your show should not be an issue in an abbreviated season.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back