1/8 Mile Drag Racing (1 Viewer)

Gone Dead Train

Nitro Member

1/8 mile drag racing isn't for me, but then again I'm the kind of fan if someone put a nitro motor in a portable s%*t house.
I would pay money see it make a squirt down the 1/4 mile or 1/8. So who knows if NHRA 1/8 mile would work?

Last edited:
"Wait for it! 1/8 mile drag racing is coming soon to a national event near you."
Told you so!

With 1320, and then 1000 ft racing in the fuel classes, the races are over so incredibly quick that if you blink they are darn near over. It's part of the thrill. I can never get enough. But 1/8 mile would be extremely unsatisfying for the fuel and Top Alcohol classes. The race isn't that much longer than the burnouts. 1/8 mile is over waaay too quick for most classes, but definitely over too quick for the fuel and alcohol classes. I think if they went to 1/8th mile I would not be attending anymore.

So I'm going to attend a race, or watch it on TV, that lasts 3 seconds? That will never happen. What's next 1/16th mile racing?

I think Clay is 100% right, but it seems like most people are missing the point. He's not talking about changing existing venues to eighth-mile, he's talking about taking the NHRA to new tracks and markets. For those who say no-one will show up to watch eighth-mile nitro, maybe you should check out some of the crowds at Funny Car Chaos recently. Now imagine that with the draw the NHRA has...

NHRA @ Galot. I'm in.
I'd go there just for the scoreboards, those baby's are bitchin!

1690226156915.png

1690226194054.png

If they did 1/8th mile exhibitions at tracks that can't handle a longer race, to bring in more interest in the sport, I'm for it. But I wouldn't want it included in points for the Championship. Unless of course, they went back to 1320 at facilities that can handle that. If we had 1320', 1000' and 1/8th mile, maybe I could live with that. I bet that would throw some crew chiefs for a loop for awhile.

When will they be declaring the race over on reaction time? Whoever leaves fist wins! 😂 ⬅️ That's what you call joking, right there.

I think Clay is 100% right, but it seems like most people are missing the point. He's not talking about changing existing venues to eighth-mile, he's talking about taking the NHRA to new tracks and markets. For those who say no-one will show up to watch eighth-mile nitro, maybe you should check out some of the crowds at Funny Car Chaos recently. Now imagine that with the draw the NHRA has...
And a couple of those races are on 1/4 facilities. Dallas and Cordova come to mind.

Some people should take a second and think about how many venues have the space and facilities to host a NHRA National event. There aren't many options. If there are a couple 1/8 tracks capable of hosting an NHRA race, then why not.

We've raced at a three 1/8 mile top fuel events. Huntsville, Alabama, IHRA San Antonio and IHRA Toronto. The two IHRA events started off as 1/4 mile, but a deteriorating track surface and rain at another caused them to be switched to 1/8 mile.

It may interest you guys to know that Australia had an eighth mile Top Fuel event last year. Why? Same reason as Clay is talking about, getting more tracks into the championship.

IF and a big IF, they had three distances 1/8, 1000 and 1/4 then maybe. But I just don't like 1/8th mile. Was at an event where it got too late and the dew set in. They had nitro go 1/8 mile. I didn't like it.

Had a big sportsmen event I used to go to almost every year, they went to 1/8 mile. Went one year, haven't been back. Now perhaps seeing these events on 1/8 built tracks would help but I doubt it.
I feel like I'm being ripped off every run.

I've always loved the slant 6 engine. I remember the 1961 Plymouth Valient with the slant 6 & a floor shift, & I thought that car was soooo cool. Have seen turbo slants that run 11's with no problem.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back