Yates last event (1 Viewer)

Jer

Nitro Member
Good luck to Yates and the entire team for a strong pull this weekend and hopefully a secure sponsorship to allow the team to compete for rest of the year and then some,always was a Yates fan,Talked with him in Bristol and a super nice guy!

Thanks, Guys..

I remember reading that in Feb but blew it off I guess..hope he gets something going.

whats the going cost of s top Ps team now?.. i know the numbers from a bout 10 years ago... wondering how much it went up....

Billy

this is becoming to much of a trend.....good veteran drivers having to park their stuff because they are having financial troubles.....i know it's just the nature of the beast but that doesnt mean i have to like it, and i am pretty sure i am not alone

There are alot of quality teams out there that are not givin the fair chance with the funding,kinda sux. Still Yates has done an awesome job this season with being pretty much on his own $

He is in 13th place in the points, but amazingly only 22 points out of the last chase spot... If you want some intersting statistal view time, look at the powerade points for those top 8 spots...

Man, how can someone who was once sponsored by friggin McDonalds wind up in this situation? I too have to believe and hope that this won't be the end. I'm sure Jim will be around, even with another team, maybe not driving, etc. He's a great guy and we need people like him on the tour.

Part of the problem is NHRA gets the money from Sponsors to cover thier costs and makes it hard for teams to tap the same money stream. If I am paying for a piece of the show why do I want to pay for a single player.

The question is how come a company like WAl-Mart doesn't do more in auto racing. They have killed many companies that were racer friendly. Race cars don't run on fuel, they run on dollars.

Jim's a good guy and "SHOULD" be able to get something going. He is a 2 time champ. But he is not 18 or female and thats what NASCAR has done to all racing. If you are 24 and not on a top teams program you are to old.

Wasn't Jim's McDonalds sponsorship when he ran under Larry Minor's banner? I seem to remember Minor's Mickey D's deal originated through his potatoe farm and it's relationship selling product to McDonalds.

I agree that the loss of Jim would be significant. My wife and I were guests of his (and Jerry Bickel) at a Topeka race back when Jim had the big #1 on his window. That was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had. He qualified #1, had a #1 on his window, and then won the event! My favorite pic is the 8x10 with his team and car in the winners circle. Watching Maskin tune the Big Chief, and Jerry tune the chassis was like watching an all-star team prepare for battle. This Mopar man was more than happy to wear a Pontiac shirt all weekend long!

Jim and Toni, as well as Jerry Bickel, were great hosts. First class people for sure.

Wasn't Jim's McDonalds sponsorship when he ran under Larry Minor's banner? I seem to remember Minor's Mickey D's deal originated through his potatoe farm and it's relationship selling product to McDonalds.

I seem to recall that Larry Minor originally had a deal with McDonalds for single TF car, but it expanded to three cars (TF/FC/PS) when Joe Gibbs got into NHRA ownership. I believe this is when Yates ran under the Gibbs and McDonald banners with Cruz (FC) and Cory Mac (TF).

Part of the problem is NHRA gets the money from Sponsors to cover thier costs and makes it hard for teams to tap the same money stream. If I am paying for a piece of the show why do I want to pay for a single player.

The question is how come a company like WAl-Mart doesn't do more in auto racing. They have killed many companies that were racer friendly. Race cars don't run on fuel, they run on dollars.

Jim's a good guy and "SHOULD" be able to get something going. He is a 2 time champ. But he is not 18 or female and thats what NASCAR has done to all racing. If you are 24 and not on a top teams program you are to old.

Wal Mart makes so much money they could sponsor every team, but there so widely known that they dont have to advertise. Everyone knows who they are.

Jim is a good guy and I hope he finds some $$$ to keep racing. But you are correct about the 18 and female deal partly. I am amazed that Hillary hasnt gotten a sponsor yet. Enders not having one sorta surprises me as well but not as much as Hillary.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back