Jim Yates.... Get a lock for that thing!!!! (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
Jim,

I think the next purchase for Yates racing is cap locks for your tanks. I guess you found a non-fan. I can't think of any way that was not put in the tank. Glad you made it home safe. From the blog I am guessing you are going to be on tour for more races than early reported. Hope So. Good luck and love the boat photo's. See you at Englishtown.

Blogs.NHRA.com - NHRA Driver Blogs

Just what he needs on top of his other problems this year! I want him to win a race more than anyone else on tour right now!

Jim,

I think the next purchase for Yates racing is cap locks for your tanks. I guess you found a non-fan. I can't think of any way that was not put in the tank. Glad you made it home safe. From the blog I am guessing you are going to be on tour for more races than early reported. Hope So. Good luck and love the boat photo's. See you at Englishtown.

Blogs.NHRA.com - NHRA Driver Blogs
Obviously some one put those little buggers in the fuel tank, however there is no telling how long they have been in there before they caused a problem. I had no idea they even made locking caps for the fuel tanks on a tractor until I was talking to the tech at the dealership and he mentioned it . With the price of fuel it is probably a great idea to get some anyway. We are working hard to find some more funding.
thanks;
Jim Yates

Hi Jim, Also best wishes from me on finding continued funding. Thanks for stopping by on the Mater and saying hi. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

I was just telling a friend about what happened and he told me that over the winter he dropped the tanks on his side-kick GMC because last season he keep having problems with fuel to the point that he ran a second line to the fuel can. Some one put a sub-sandwich bag the kind with the wax lining in the main tank. So he is getting locks for his truck. Not sure if it was done were the truck is parked or at the track. What kind people need to do this crap. Racing is hard enough.

With diesel at 3.00 and more a gallon everybody better get locks.

it is genuinely heart warming to see this family effort in pro stock racing. I'd love to see Yates get some funding so they do not have to quit racing. I wonder if jamie yates has any aspirations to someday return to the cockpit. one of my fondess memories is the proud look jim had on his face after witnessing Jamie's first win in competition.

Last edited:
Love reading your blog Jim! Good luck with the sponsor deal. I'd sponsor you myself if I had the money (after funding my own team of course). :D

Jim may have put them in the tank himself. I have heard of people putting items in the fuel nozzles at the pumps. I never look at the nozzel before putting it in the tank.

Whenever fuel makes a big jump in price, there's usually a surge of stolen fuel that follows. There's trucks out there with electric fuel fuel pumps that'll park close and fill up on you! They'll especially look for trucks parked around no others where someone's home for a weekend.

Pretty sad that anyone would root against anyone to the point of doing something like that, if that's what it is. Ridiculous.

Pretty sad that anyone would root against anyone to the point of doing something like that, if that's what it is. Ridiculous.

I remember Angelle's team had some stuff vandalized back when she was with Team Winston. That's a terrible thing to have to drain all that diesal out. Especially because it's not all that great smelling to have all over you.

I agree though about the fuel theft going up because of higher gas prices. I live right across from a gas station and every once in a while walk over to get milk or the paper, and see the pumps with 5, 10 dollars on the screen. I've also encountered more "Can you spare some change for gas?" than previously.

I agree though about the fuel theft going up because of higher gas prices. I live right across from a gas station and every once in a while walk over to get milk or the paper, and see the pumps with 5, 10 dollars on the screen. I've also encountered more "Can you spare some change for gas?" than previously.

I think those are just the usual bums trying to use what people think are high gas prices as a way to get sympathy for their "cause." I love it when they come up to my door and try to do that when I'm AT WORK! (where they should maybe be?) Sorry for the short bum derailment. :) It's just that if you can't make it in this country, you have a problem!

There use to be a truck stop on 95 in Sc that had full service for the truckers so they could go relax while the truck was filled and oil checked etc.... notice i said "use to be"... every so often one of the employees would do some thing along the same lines to get business for his buddies truck shop where he got a kick back for sending business to them......... they all got busted ...Truck stop lost business.. went out of busines....

Hope something didn't happen like that to Jim...bad deal but glad you caught it...

Billy

According to what I read on Jim's Blog, it was more than an act of vandalism as the "Foreign Objects" were of the exact size to cause blockage of the line.
What's really irksome is that it was probably done by someone who looked them in the face, smiled and said something nice.:mad:

Jim, And Cleaning crew
You Know thats its mathmaticaly a given, that any flat surface will collect STUFF, and any clean surface will inevitably become used heavily ( It's a "Clean Karma" kinda thing).
Glad ya had some down time to find the buggers!;)

I think it's pretty odd, actually. I've owned several trucks (doing a head gasket on a Freightliner/Detroit right now), and if you asked me what size pipe plugs to drop into a fuel tank to plug the lines, I'd have no idea. I've had tanks and lines off before, too. If I were vandalizing, I wouldn't even be sure whether or not the pipe plugs would be to heavy to get sucked in. I wouldn't be doing that in the first place but, if I did, that'd be about the last thing I'd do it with.

Those aren't the same size as any of the tapped holes for fittings on top of the tank? Don't supposed an outside supplier may have shipped the tanks that way, and someone at the factory thought they were harmlessly dropping them in? Wasn't it Ford transmissions that would have a rubber dipstick plug in the pan if you were the first one to change the fluid?

I did accidentally find out that if you're repairing a tank and she drives by with the lawnmower when you're not looking, grass will stay in there FOREVER. Also learned the hard way to uncap the tanks when blowing the line out from the filter! Otherwise you now have air tanks instead of fuel tanks, and when you remove your air line you'll get a stinky shower. :D

Last edited:
All this talk of diesel fuel reminds me of just how bad it smells! Good that stuff stinks and, if you get on in your hands, it smells for days it seems.

All this talk of diesel fuel reminds me of just how bad it smells! Good that stuff stinks and, if you get on in your hands, it smells for days it seems.

Well, I only told part of the story above. Was around December in the Boston area. Truck was losing power and I had a guage that told me it was taking a lot of effort to suck the fuel through the filter before the pump, even after changing the filter, so that told me restriction. I'm on the side of the interstate in freezing weather, putting an air line up to the fuel line to blow back into the tank with. Like I said, for some reason it just didn't dawn on me to take the fuel caps off. Was only about half full of fuel and I'm thinking the air will go out the vents. Now I know the vents have little one way check valves.

When I pulled the air line away from the fuel line, I hear this strange gurgling, so what do I do? Peer into the darn thing. The gurgling sound was the air pressure in the tanks pushing fuel back through the line. I must've looked strange to passing motorists holding a fuel line while it was spraying diesel all over my face! Yeah, people stare at you for the rest of the day when they smell that! The weird thing is that there was a instant between the fuel coming out of the line and it hitting my face in which I'd realized what I just did, but all you can do is stand there because the signal can't get from your brain to your arm to move fast enough! I couldn't move, but I had time internally to curse!

Last edited:

My brother likes the smell of diesel, but he agrees that it gives him a headache after a spell.

I have a pack of baby wipes in my dad's diesels (dubbed, Oh Baby! and Big Baby!) and sometimes that doesn't even help. I love the gas stations that have wipes out there at the pump.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back