WOW! Did Everyone Else Know This? (1 Viewer)

NitroRichFire

Nitro Member
If anyone gets the May 2007 issue of Drag Racing Action, turn to page 64. Read the paragraph below the 2nd picture. Basically it states that the NHRA has to pay ESPN to air it events, while with Nascar, ESPN has to pay Nascar to be able to air their events. And the amount ESPN has to pay Nascar is thought to be around $250 million. Man is this true? I never knew this. What does the NHRA have to pay ESPN to air these events? Anyone know this??:confused:

That is totally true, and I will refer to another poster to give you the number$...:eek:

2005 Tax return listed 8+ mil for TV 'production costs'. I'm sure that number includes labor and all other expenses as well as ESPN's fee.

You want a big shock find a Joyce Julis (sp) report on viewers and compare the two series.. and then compare the orgs numbers to theirs..... you might be shocked....

Billy

It's the ratings thing again. ESPN wants to recoup production costs and or possible revenue loss from NHRA telecasts.
Considering it's not live but memorex we are a distant #2 below NASCAR but over formula 1.
Now someone come up with Formula 1 getting paid then we might have a beef.
I watch for signs of hot commercialization on NHRA programs and it does take spells with some good advertising but there are still too many PSA's and repeats of the same commercials .
That tells me we are still a mediocre market with auto/oil leading as usual.
This sports drink and vitamin supplements stuff really goes well with the full out excitement of Pro Fuel racing .
A guy down the street from me has a distributorship for another sports/energy drink called " NITRO 2 GO ".
I haven' t heard of it but hey the name's catchy.

That should help everyone understand, why NHRA doesn't get better time slots and gets pushed around. If you don't get the eyes watching, your going to have to pay for your air time.

If NHRA pays for their airtime, then who sells the commercials? NHRA or ESPN? I don't know if commercial time is considered in the price, but if its a flat rate for the timeslot, then why doesn't NHRA go commercial free, cut the time down, save some money and keep the action going?

NHRA paying ESPN = stupid.

I mean, I'm glad that they do so I can watch it, but I can't believe that it's 8-9 mil a year. CRAZY!

If NHRA pays for their airtime, then who sells the commercials? NHRA or ESPN? I don't know if commercial time is considered in the price, but if its a flat rate for the timeslot, then why doesn't NHRA go commercial free, cut the time down, save some money and keep the action going?
IIRC the money that NHRA pays ESPN is for production costs and a guarantee on the commercial time. Anything NHRA sells helps pay the bill, they make up the difference in the guarantee. No way they would go commercial free because a) you can't get a day of racing done any faster without changing some rules and b) it would cost them millions.

If NHRA sells ad time I wonder what price NASCAR paid for ALL their commercials, and there were alot of them.
Hope ESPN didn't get a secret deal with NASCAR on all the commercials.
Lets see ESPN pays NASCAR for the commercials so more viewers watch NASCAR and ESPN gets more money due to larger viewership.
NHRA should be advertising on NASCAR shows using same deal.

ESPN realizes the sad fact that us maters are the only people who watch NHRA...lol Actually, the real numbers are about 800,000-900,000 households...These ratings are terrible, and NOT EVEN CLOSE to NASCAR. You could call NHRA right now, buy a 30 second spot in EVERY RACE, as well as in all NHRA Race Day shows, and STILL do it for less than the cost of ONE 30 second spot in an avewrage NASCAR race.

30 Second Spots for Daytona are approaching $1,000,000.

The NHRA should approach Spike TV or USA Networks or something. We need a network that will promote the SH*T out of the programming. In fact, Versus would be terrific, too...They did a GREAT job with the NHL since they have had it...

Seems to me SOMEONE should look into what the Speed channel would do. You know that other channel that caters to auto racing and not basketball/golf/poker/basket weaving/ice skating/little league baseball.......ok I will stop now. :cool:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back