Wind Tunnel:NASCAR takeover? (1 Viewer)

Glad to see that no stereotyping goes on here. I've got news for you, there are plenty of "drunk rednecks" at the drag races too. Maybe some of those "rednecks" could fill some of those empty stands we have on Sunday afternoons at several tracks, not to mention the seats on a Monday at INDY.

I can only speak about the Gators but the stand are always full. Especially on Sunday. And no I wouldn't say that is sterotyping, just the truth IMO!!!!:D

This cracks me up! Anyone who takes Despain seriously just doesn't know the man. I bet he's reading these post and shooting his beer right out his nose. Ya just gotta be kidding me if anyone falls for Despains crap! Having said that, watch this be the one time he's right!

The only reason I think NASCAR would potentially be interested in NHRA is just to beat Bruton Smith to the punch. Bruton Smith is equally NASCAR's biggest partner, and also their biggest competitor. If Bruton sees value in NHRA, then you better believe everyone else in the motorsports landscape will be doing their due diligence trying to figure what Bruton knows that they don't. Do I think NASCAR will buy NHRA, no I don't. BUT, NASCAR did sanction drag races down south back in the 60's.

Just my .02, but I think Chris hit this one on the head. If I had to make the choice between NASCAR and Bruton I will take Bruton every time. I just think he would do a better job of it. Having only one series to deal with, rather than two. At some point when you have two to worry about, one becomes secondary.

Bruton also seems to be more fan friendly than does NASCAR, check out the Neon Garage at LVMS it's very nice.

Dan

You CAN get into some areas of the pits, but that access is tightly controlled in terms of how much time you can spend there, where you can go, and who you can talk to. And it's pretty darned expensive.
OK I stand corrected.. I don't have that kind of money and still wouldn't pay it even if I did. I like the access I have now to the Stars of NHRA and I don't want to lose it!!!

Bruton also seems to be more fan friendly than does NASCAR, check out the Neon Garage at LVMS it's very nice.

Dan

And it cost extra too.... all Bruton did was copy and expand what was already done at Daytona.... and when it was done.. the statement heard around Mooresville was fans are tapped out money wise.. they won't pay extra for this (Daytona).. well when they did .. Bruton jumped on the band wagon....... moneys money...lol

if either one got ahold ofthe NHRA.. i would be 100% IHRA....if they got that one.. then its on to lawnmower racing....:D

Billy

I don't know how a Smith /NASCAR NHRA would be and I really don't have a problem with the way it is now.
I figure if it changes I may not like it.
Of course I still miss the 32 car fields of yesterday when you could race outa your garage .

Put me down for NASCAR or Bruton taking NHRA in to the 21st Century. More money for the Pro Classes and that "tide will raise all boats"
They are just better business people and a smart business person isn't going to stay stuck in the past. Theyll create new fans and new participation opportunities.
I wouldn't expect the pits to be closed unless the attendence numbers get out of control. It COULD happen.

Well, doggone it!
I thought the conversation about this would get hotter than it has.
I should mention that I have an axe to grind. NASCAR has made it clear that they want to destroy Pikes Peak International Raceway - a track ideally situated for a Mountain Time Zone Cup race. Whatever else they said to the "sports journalists" hereabouts, they shuttered the place because they were angry at the previous owners of the place. Furthermore, their intentions were to do what the monopolists in the games business do: hold out a tin cup for the taxpayers to build their stadiums. "Games" here refers to NFL,NBA,MLB,NHL, etc.
NASCAR's intention was to sell PPIR on the express condition that no racing take place on that site ever again! I predicted that they would be in Denver shortly thereafter asking for a taxpayer handout. I nailed it.
Of course the "sports journalists" don't know enough about America's most popular sport to ask any questions. NASCAR was free to dissemble and dissemble they did. They even had the "sports journalists" believing that ISC was truly independent of the NASCAR monopolists!
I expect drag racing to grow and change. Not withstanding that, I want to encourage the kinds of changes that respect the special nature of our participant sport.
Your thoughts, please.
Cheers,
Ed Arcuri

We in Washington State are very familiar with the ISC going to the legislature asking for tax dollars to build a NASCAR track. And why not? After all, a few years back the state funded two new stadiums for the NFL and MLB teams here. Now the NBA Seattle Sonics are demanding a new arena and have joined NASCAR in the welfare line hat in hand. However, this time around it looks like the our elected politicians aren't in such a giving mood. As it said in the newspaper this morning:

Bills to provide much larger public financing packages for a Sonics arena and NASCAR racetrack, meanwhile, are languishing.

I could care less whether or not the Sonics follow-through with their threat to move if they don't get a new arena. And while I'd love to see NASCAR come to Washington State, I'm not so certain that a new track should be a budget priority when there are so many other important issues that need to be addressed in our state.

I happened to catch that also. I had heard rumors of Bruton Smith's interest in purchasing NHRA, but the Nascar angle is a new one for me...sounds really scary to me. Kelly, the thought of a COT pro stocker is simply paralyzing! Just imagine the top end interviews--"Ron Capps, what happened out there?" "wul, I don't know, but somethin' bust in the motor, but my guys been workin reel hard and give me a good race car" etc etc. Frightening!

cannot resist the sterotypes huh.
smart debate there ace

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back