Wind Tunnel:NASCAR takeover? (1 Viewer)

Baron

Nitro Member
Wanna' frighten the horses?
Last night, Dave DeSpain mentioned in closing Wind Tunnel, I papraphrase: it's all over some blogs that the real buyer for the NHRA is NASCAR.
I've never attended an IHRA race in part because we don't have them here in the Rocky Mountain West (South of Canada). If NASCAR takes over the NHRA, that'd do it.
Imagine the Pro/Stock "Car of Tomorrow." Imagine trying to get into the show as an independent with all the qualifying slots occupied by "provisionals."
Aaargh.
We return you now to our regularly scheduled hubris.
Cheers,
Ed

I happened to catch that also. I had heard rumors of Bruton Smith's interest in purchasing NHRA, but the Nascar angle is a new one for me...sounds really scary to me. Kelly, the thought of a COT pro stocker is simply paralyzing! Just imagine the top end interviews--"Ron Capps, what happened out there?" "wul, I don't know, but somethin' bust in the motor, but my guys been workin reel hard and give me a good race car" etc etc. Frightening!

I wonder if Despain was referring to Bruton Smith, Or NASCAR? I seriously doubt Brian France and Humpy Wheeler have any interest in Drag racing much less NHRA!

Maybe NASCAR want an EXCITING alternative to supplement the choreographed 10 lap dash-for-cash 3-ringed circus they currently have?

I seem to recall that NASCAR already owns the Grand American Rolex Series. Additionally, they purchased CASCAR and I believe a racing series in Mexico as well. I would certainly hope that NASCAR's reported interest in the NHRA is nothing more than a rumor with no basis in fact.

I know some of yall are going to hate this, but I think it would be the BEST thing that ever happened to drag racing. Just think of the money it would generate for the teams. We might actually have live qualifying and race day shows. I know for fact I could definitely live with that. We would have more cars than ever in the pro classes. Sponsors would be running to sponsor cars if the tv coverage and media blitz is half of what Nascar is. I think the only problem with it would be for the sportsman guys. I think they could/would get lost in the shuffle. But as we know there will always be a place for those guys to race from reg Sat night brackets to someone starting anohter sanctioning body and having events just for sportsman.

PS. I DONT THINK YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THIS AT ALL, I WOULD BE VERY SURPRISED IF NASCAR HAD ANY INKLING ABOUT PURCHASING NHRA.

The only reason I think NASCAR would potentially be interested in NHRA is just to beat Bruton Smith to the punch. Bruton Smith is equally NASCAR's biggest partner, and also their biggest competitor. If Bruton sees value in NHRA, then you better believe everyone else in the motorsports landscape will be doing their due diligence trying to figure what Bruton knows that they don't. Do I think NASCAR will buy NHRA, no I don't. BUT, NASCAR did sanction drag races down south back in the 60's.

Do I think NASCAR will buy NHRA, no I don't. BUT, NASCAR did sanction drag races down south back in the 60's.

NASCAR sanctioned drag racing went much further north than many know or remember.

Some historic tracks including Dragway 42, Maple Grove, Cecil County, ATCO, and Motor City ran under NASCAR sanction in 1965 and 1966.

NASCAR had a traveling, national event schedule just like NHRA and AHRA. The 1966 NASCAR Summer Nationals at Dragway 42 had a Top Fuel first round that included Connie Kalita, Chris Karamesines, Pete Robinson, the Ramchargers, and Marvin Schwartz among others. This followed the 1965 event where the Ramchargers took a holeshot victory over Don Prudhomme at the wheel of the Hawaiian.

For those who will ask...'why did Nascar get out?', the following information from Chris Martin's old DRO article.

Drag Racing Online

"Bill France Jr., was the guy at NASCAR headquarters who ultimately called the shots for the drag racing division," said Weis. "What I heard was that Bill Sr., was going to semi-retire in 1968 and that if his son wanted to run NASCAR, the drag racing program would have to go away. The race program was going great, and, in fact, I had intended to buy out Ed Witzberger until we got the news that it was over."

Last edited:
I heard Dave say it too. I believe his exact words were he had heard from someone that nascar was interested in the nhra. I dont know what to think. It may be a great deal, they sure know how to market they're deal and it would bring new money and fans. The question is would they mess with the outcome of races like they do with the nascar boys??? something needs to be done, the bunch we got now is pretty stagnant.

That would be motorsports version of the 60s movie Colossus: the Forbin Project (I guess it would be the France Project).

When you think about it the idea of both tracks together makes sense from an economical view.
Nascar is doing so good they are bound to be floating in cash.
I think the series has peaked and it might be time to expand some more.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of NASCAR buying NHRA.. You can't get into the pits at a NASCAR race and I'd be willing to bet they'd make it so you can't get into the pits at a NHRA race if they owned it!!!

I don't like the idea of NASCAR buying NHRA.. You can't get into the pits at a NASCAR race and I'd be willing to bet they'd make it so you can't get into the pits at a NHRA race if they owned it!!!

You CAN get into some areas of the pits, but that access is tightly controlled in terms of how much time you can spend there, where you can go, and who you can talk to. And it's pretty darned expensive.

Another thought :- it wouldn't be a NHRA insider trying to jack up their worth in case there is a buyout on the cards ?
Happens everyday in other sports ........

Mark.

I heard Dave say it too. I believe his exact words were he had heard from someone that nascar was interested in the nhra. I dont know what to think. It may be a great deal, they sure know how to market they're deal and it would bring new money and fans. The question is would they mess with the outcome of races like they do with the nascar boys??? something needs to be done, the bunch we got now is pretty stagnant.

New fans? You mean a bunch of drunk rednecks!!!! Sorry but I don't think that would help NHRA.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back