Which Tracks Get Your Vote for.... (1 Viewer)

I have to go with Bandimere since I practically grew up there. It could definately use some upgrades though. The first 6 second Pro Stock run should happen this year on the all new concrete surface. My second choice would be Vegas.

muncie with grass strip dividing the lanes or union grove with the burnout box below th starting line.

I am told that in the past year the new owners of Muncie Dragway have eliminated the grass between the lanes. It is supposedly all paved now.

My fav has to be Indy, with all the history.

Sonoma is my #1 choice, followed by a tight second, Maple Grove.

Out of all the tracks, the Grove is the most scenic and has a definate "family atmosphere" about it, aside from racing.
I love E-town and Atco, but you know your at a dragstrip when your there.

I can only go with what I see on television. Bandimere and Bristol are my two favorites as far as the settings. That said, with it's view of Mount Rainier and the Cascades, our own Pacific Raceways is also in a beautiful setting. I am still hoping that one day Pacific Raceways will be among the better tracks on the NHRA tour when the facility upgrades are finished. It certainly has the potential to be among one of the more beautiful track on the tour.

MRP.jpg

Although it certainly doesn't have an NHRA Powerade event, sitting next to the Fraser River as it does, I also enjoy Mission Raceway Park (pictured above) in British Columbia.

BREAKING AREAS ?? They have a specific area to BREAK your car ???
:):p

THAT'S catering to the racer! :) Will innovations never cease?

As far as the thread topic, with an opinion that's as unbiased and straight down the middle as the average media journalist, I'd have to say BRISTOL!!! :D

WOW I love Sonoma, Pomona & Bandimere. I grew up going to Pomona both races EVERY YEAR!!! We went to Sonoma and Bandimere so they are all close to my heart. But I would probably go with Pomona!!!! I love it!

My 1st nhra Winston race ever was at 1991 Brainard. I had heard so much about the zoo, i was scared to go there. but some camp neighbors went with us. what a trip man. 2 women doing barrel fight with 55 gal burn barrels. I was 19 years old, my brother was 21. We stopped in town and p/u 2 cases of Old Milw for 5 a case. When we entered the track, security asked if we had drugs or beer. Forgetting about the beer, i said no. He told us to pull ahead for a search. Open the trunk and bam, 2 cases. He said whats this, My bro said I am thirsty. after the tear down, be gone with yourselves.

I think in 1995 the zoo crowd burned down 4 port-a-potys Management shut off the showers.

The last time I was there, the brought wood in on semis and had band in the zoo to entertain the crowd. Word has it that alot of the pro's including John Force have visted the zoo.

I'd say changed for the better. There's no room for that kind of nonsense in the grandstands.

I whole heartedly agree with you Brent.

I attended the first several years of the race when it was called the Northstar Nationals. The year before the underage wet t-shirt contest, I saw the crowd push a brand new Toyota Supra out into the middle of the zoo, roll it over, and set it on fire and proceed to do sort of a tribal dance around it. My first reaction was "Man, I love to party as much as the next person, but this is going waaaay too far." I went to one of the "security" stations, and told the guy there what was happening. His reaction was "Well, what the "bleep" do you expect ME to do about it?!?!?!?" I understood his reaction. All he had was one lousy can of mace.

I thought things were getting carried away, so I skipped the next one, which was the t-shirt one. I know I certainly wouldn't have brought my kids there. And anyone who was there at that time would back me up on that. Would YOU have taken your children (Or wife, for that matter.) to the zoo, version 1? Not me.

Then, after the t-shirt contest (Several guys spent some time in Stillwater over that one.) I heard they were going to crackdown on things so I tried one more time, and things were indeed saner. That's when the incident I described above happened. (Oh, and Brent, we knew they were Canadians because they all had maple leaf t-shirts on and were waving a maple leaf flag. If they'd just shut up when the guard told them to cool it, they'd have been fine.)

Now, the emphasis seems to be more on having a good time, without all the insanity.

I remember the first few years, going to our seats in the grandstands and seeing people passed out in the stands next to their kegs of beer, toward the finish line. This was during the first qualifying session on Saturday.

Never could understand it. Why spend all that money on your tickets, and not be able to remember anything???

I'm at the age now where "roughing it" means no cable TV in the hotel room. Yes, I've become an official softy. I'll admit it.

I WILL be there this year though. I've a sneaking suspicion we may not be able to see Papa John drive in person much longer, (Yes, I suspect he's thinking about retiring.) and I'm going to see him in action at least once more. I can't go to a lot of races around the country like some here. Not complaining. I've got three sons in college. It's just reality for me. that's the way it is.

I'll see you there!!!!!:D

Last edited:
Been going to Brainerd since 1994 and camped in the zoo every year and I agree it has mellowed some but all for the good I'd say. We had some guy's from Thunder Bay camp next to us, I think about 96 or so and when we got back from the track sat night they were gone and so was all there stuff. I wonder if it's the same group you guys are talking about cuz they were a wild bunch.

I'd love to experience the "Zoo" just once, but it's just before Indy. And I'm NOT going to miss INDY!;)

As far as one of the strangest tracks I've been on, the one in Prince George, BC is right up there. Its built on the side of a hill, so when you come down the staging lanes towards the starting area, you're coming down about a 15% grade. Way steeper then Bandimere. Pity the poor guys who have to push back up the hill.
Then just when you cross the finish line, the track falls away from under you with a pretty decent down hill shut down area. In fact at speeds over about 180, you'll come up out of your seat. Its steep enough that you can't see the far end of the track from the start line, so they have a guy posted near the finish line to signal when the traffic down the hill is clear. He also signals if there is wildlife on the track. I've been at a race stopped for a bear siting.

Although it certainly doesn't have an NHRA Powerade event, sitting next to the Fraser River as it does, I also enjoy Mission Raceway Park (pictured above) in British Columbia.
Rich, good call on Mission. That track is super great (last time I was up there at least), the people are very friendly. And, like you said the river is great for scenery and conditions. They used to have the bonfire right along the river for the oldies race.

Bandimere, because I live nearby. I can hardly wait to see if the "all new, all concrete" track pleases the racers. You have to offer something extra to make up for the elevation.

muncie with grass strip dividing the lanes or union grove with the burnout box below th starting line.

As one of muncie's regular racers, the grass is gone up to the 1/8th mile. The grass is still there from the 1/8th mile to the last turn off.

My sentimental national event favorite is Indy, due to all of the history behind it, plus I can rmember going to the nationals every year as a kid.

My local track sentimental favorite is Muncie, because it was 15 miles from where I grew up, and that is where I went with dad just about every Saturday night.

My other favoite tracks I like going to is Bristol due to the scenery and it being a good track, and the other being Norwalk. Norwalk don't have scenery, but the $1 ice cream, the facility is excellent, plus going up to the brown derby roadhouse, a few miles up Rt. 250 in Milan to eat their tremendous food.

Another good track to go to is Beech Bend Raceway in Bowling Green, Kentucky. That place has an excellent feel to it when the Hot Rod Reunion is there.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back