What did Grubnic Find (1 Viewer)

jimbo

Nitro Member
I know it';s been happening for awhile - most of the season, but what did Grubnic find that propelled Brittany Force to all those mid 3.6 she has had all year. It seems she had 4-5 hundreds on everybody. My guess is in the clutch as her 60 ft times seem to be lower than the rest. What's your idea?

The next question is - will Grubnic become frustrated with all those low qualifiers with few wins showing up? The car is very strong and will run those 3.6's all day long. I Understand the prime night time conditions, but nobody seems able able to catch up. When the sun is out and heat of the track goes up it seems it is very delicate when they have to push a little more?

I am not trying to throw Brittany under the bus here at all, but let's be honest the reaction times have cost a few wins during the season. I believe she is improving, working on her reaction times. There is no question about her dedication and she surely can drive that car down the track! Go Force!

Grubnic’s big jump in performance seemed to start with Clay’s car and the one piece rear Weld wheel, which were lighter. I would assume others switched to those as quick as they could get them and Grubnic has still ran a tick faster than most. I bet he would give you the scoop if you ask him nicely. 😜

Grubnic’s big jump in performance seemed to start with Clay’s car and the one piece rear Weld wheel, which were lighter. I would assume others switched to those as quick as they could get them and Grubnic has still ran a tick faster than most. I bet he would give you the scoop if you ask him nicely. 😜
If so that makes some sense, less weight mass - faster acceleration. Lol on asking Grubnic:D. No thoughts on Brittany?

I doubt it's just the wheels. It's a few other things as well.

It is very probable that He has full reign on the tuneup with no micro managment from the top as well as access to anything and everything he needs. As far as later rounds go when you don't have years of data history for a particular car like some CC's do it is just SWAG it and cross your fingers. Grubnic like Prock has the ability to rotate the earth, but are a little iffy on less than perfect conditions. When your mindset is "KILL" it is sometimes hard to "Tiptoe". There are some CC's that would really rather be the King of ET and Speed and have the mindset of "Punishing" other CC's than backing down enough to get by when conditions are not great. You can absolutely be assured these Crew Chiefs are competing against each other.

Last edited:
Yeah, it wasn’t just the wheels. He was still running at the top when others teams started using them. I recall interviews when Clay began running big numbers with Grubnic they pointed out the wheels were lighter and not many had them yet.
Does anyone know if most of the teams have switched to the one piece Weld wheel? I never thought too look and see.

Last edited:
It is very probable that He has full reign on the tuneup with no micro managment from the top as well as access to anything and everything he needs. As far as later rounds go when you don't have years of data history for a particular car like some CC's do it is just SWAG it and cross your fingers. Grubnic like Prock have the ability to rotate the earth, but are a little iffy on less than perfect conditions. When your mindset is "KILL" it is sometimes hard to "Tiptoe". There are some CC's that would really rather be the King of ET and Speed and have the mindset of "Punishing" other CC's than backing down enough to get by when conditions are not great. You can absolutely be assured these Crew Chiefs are competing against each other.
That would be one of the "few other things."

i think that the thing that goes on that one piece wheel has a lot to do with it too
after all it is a calculation with all the rotating parts combined that determines how
quick and fast it will go ... right ?

for years before he ever thought of getting out of the drivers seat he was a data nurd. He took care of Kalitta's computer network so had access to all the run data and I'm pretty sure he spent a lot of Montana days examining it. He also does not appear to be scared to go over center. Sometimes it bites him.

Here's what he figured out...you have to use every single inch of the track from the starting line to the finish line. The track can only handle so much of an acceleration rate on any given day. If you are a little bit slow to 60 feet, you are already behind. You cannot make up extra hundredths (or even thousandths) from 60 to 330 beyond that of what the track can handle. If the most the track can handle is X acceleration rate, you cannot go X+1 acceleration rate to make up time to lower your ET. In addition, if you are already going X MPH at 60 feet, you are carrying momentum from 60 to 330 and if your going X+1 MPH at 60 you are carrying even more momentum. Based on some rough math, by the time the clock actually starts, the cars can be going as fast as 8 MPH just from the rollout distance. Every inch counts. Bottom line is you must accelerate as quickly as possible as early as possible to get the ETs you are seeing. It physics plain and simple. There is no new magic horsepower button. Yes, you must have the horsepower to make it all work but, up to around 2.0 seconds into a run, you are not even using everything available. It's not until you 1/1 on the clutch do you need all the HP you can possibly get. By then it is so late it the run you are not going to make anything up even with the most HP out there. It's a giant physics equation happening in microsecond intervals. Things like lighter wheels help get it going quicker (sooner), but they are not the complete solution.

Brittany's poor reaction times may be more a function of the setup and less a function of her actual skill on the starting line. My guess it's probably a combination of things including the tune up, weather, track condition as well as Brittany..

Like I've said. Put Prock in for a few 60' foot hits, doing that should determine the problem. But doing so might point the finger to the Bosses daughter
and that won't be good.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back