What about a MPH rule for fuel cars? (1 Viewer)

Russmanx

Nitro Member
What if NHRA determined a safe MPH for ¼ racing? Then implemented a rule that disqualifies any car that exceeds that MPH at any point in the run? There would be no rule on ET. Let each crew chief run whatever mechanical combination they want. The only mandates on the car would be the safety equipment, 95% nitro and a blower. It’s obvious they don’t want these cars to exceed 330. Just make it a rule and put it in the hands of the crew chief. Break out racing is difficult to understand. I think the fans could understand a speed limit rule. The MPH limit could vary and be lowered for shorter tracks. There may be obvious reasons this would not work as I know nothing about a fuel car. It seems easier than getting agreement on mechanical combinations to soften the cars every time the crew chiefs figure things out. Personally I wish the fuel cars were still unlimited at 1320 but I guess those days are over. Is this a viable solution?

I'm no TF expert, but I think the nitro engines aren't happy when they're not under load. Meaning that without other changes, the result of simply implementing a speed limit with no other changes would be many more engine explosions, clean up, and wasted money.

I keep refering to the same interview with Dale Armstronghttp://www.competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6566&Itemid=24

His idea incorporates a "performance figure", which im assuming means a target speed and E.T. and discusses how to implement a speed limit without side effects such as engine explosions-

"What NHRA needs to do first is decide what they want as a maximum performance figure, and then work towards that with these cars"

At this point considering the other discussions on this topic, I'd guess the speed limit would be determined by good year, and the E.T. limit would be determined by other factors.

I've said it before.....make 'em run 400 cubic inch motors max.....thicker cylinder walls and less stroke to keep the oil downs in check :D

I've said it before.....make 'em run 400 cubic inch motors max.....thicker cylinder walls and less stroke to keep the oil downs in check :D

I don't know if the cylinder walls would be much thicker. There are a lot of nostalgia cars running 413ci combinations and they still kick the rods out.

The stock 426 hemi engine bore is 4.25, while the aftermarket blocks the nitro cars run are generally 4.187 in the bore but with a big stroked crank.

Some aftermarket blocks (ones not used in nitro racing) like the Dart Big block Chevrolet cast iron block, actually has sacrificial areas in the block that are designed to blow out during a rod failure so that you can catch them and weld the piece back in without destroying an expensive engine block.

One way to get thicker cylinder walls would be a bigger bore spacing, keep the bore the same but make a physically bigger block with more space between cylinders and a thicker sidewall. That however would require, a new crank shaft, new heads, new cam and of course a custom made block. When you make the block bigger the problem becomes that your parts don't fit anymore.

As stated above, I also have said before, give them less wing-means less downforce - equals less horsepower to control - equals safer combinations. Now I'm not talking wings like Pro stock but limit angle to less than what is run on the fuel cars today. The other aspect is better tire life, as on many runs we still tire shredding going on, just watch the replays they show in slo mo to see that. No engine, blower, nitro or whatever restriction needed!

What if NHRA determined a safe MPH for ¼ racing? Then implemented a rule that disqualifies any car that exceeds that MPH at any point in the run? There would be no rule on ET. Let each crew chief run whatever mechanical combination they want. The only mandates on the car would be the safety equipment, 95% nitro and a blower. It’s obvious they don’t want these cars to exceed 330. Just make it a rule and put it in the hands of the crew chief. Break out racing is difficult to understand. I think the fans could understand a speed limit rule. It seems easier than getting agreement on mechanical combinations to soften the cars every time the crew chiefs figure things out.

I like the idea of letting the crew chiefs do their thing.
No one agrees on how to slow the fuel cars down.
No mater what "slow down" combo nhra tries, we'll be right back to the same problem in just a few years. A limit is just that.

Mr. Cooke, you may just be on to something. ;)

I like the idea of letting the crew chiefs do their thing.
No one agrees on how to slow the fuel cars down.
No mater what "slow down" combo nhra tries, we'll be right back to the same problem in just a few years. A limit is just that.

Mr. Cooke, you may just be on to something. ;)

What? Hey here's a novel idea, how about DQ anyone who can't go 1000 ft with out blowing the chit up.

Better yet how about just make fuel drag racing a 1/4 mile again, and if you blow up you are done even if you win the round, no more Eddie Hill rules ie: bring out a back up car or body. Those type rules would keep everyone in check.

Last edited:
I like both ,a limit to cubic inch, and top speed , . I do believe that this would make for larger fields and better competition. I have wondered for a long time why the nostalgia fc groups have not gone that way. Close racing will return fans to stands (look at NASCAR) and return lower funded teams to a level playing field.

I don't know if the cylinder walls would be much thicker. There are a lot of nostalgia cars running 413ci combinations and they still kick the rods out.

Yeah, I know.....that's why I used the :D

Less cubes will use less fuel and blower, still stay under load, and most of the physical parts won't need to be reengineered

or.....

Make em all use the 417 Donovans again!

Yeah, I know.....that's why I used the :D

Less cubes will use less fuel and blower, still stay under load, and most of the physical parts won't need to be reengineered

or.....

Make em all use the 417 Donovans again!

Agreed! C'mon guys, whether on TV or in the stands can you REALLY tell the difference in a side by side 4.0 vs 5.0 F/C run? Do the numbers mean THAT much to you? Personally I'd rather see a slower race time decided by driver skill rather than by crew chief setup or cubic dollars. At the risk of creating "spec" classes just implement rules that would slow the cars down, save lives and save money. I want to see the likes of Bob (and especially Alice) Bode out there with an equal chance of kicking the crap out of the Force or Schumacher teams. Slow 'em down & make 'em "less expensive". That'll bring back driver rivalries, smack talk and all the good stuff that is sorely missing from today's NHRA racing. Honestly it has become pretty damned boring lately....

Joe

I like both ,a limit to cubic inch, and top speed , . I do believe that this would make for larger fields and better competition. I have wondered for a long time why the nostalgia fc groups have not gone that way. Close racing will return fans to stands (look at NASCAR) and return lower funded teams to a level playing field.
Damn, Ed, how close of a race do you want, you need a photo finish on most of the runs now.? lol...Why not just eliminate 1 mag? It doesn't make any difference how much fuel you cram into it...if you can't burn it it isn't going to help you anyway. I will try and come up after i take Bodes hauler back to Chicago. See you buddy.

What if NHRA determined a safe MPH for ¼ racing? Then implemented a rule that disqualifies any car that exceeds that MPH at any point in the run? There would be no rule on ET. Let each crew chief run whatever mechanical combination they want. The only mandates on the car would be the safety equipment, 95% nitro and a blower. It’s obvious they don’t want these cars to exceed 330. Just make it a rule and put it in the hands of the crew chief. Break out racing is difficult to understand. I think the fans could understand a speed limit rule. The MPH limit could vary and be lowered for shorter tracks. There may be obvious reasons this would not work as I know nothing about a fuel car. It seems easier than getting agreement on mechanical combinations to soften the cars every time the crew chiefs figure things out. Personally I wish the fuel cars were still unlimited at 1320 but I guess those days are over. Is this a viable solution?

There is no "safe" speed with drag racing . Accidents happen at all speeds.

Go too fast and you breakout and lose? If there was ever a rule like that for the fuel classes that would be the end of TF and FC racing's popularity, IMO.

Maybe they could put throttle stops on the fuel motors, that would do it! :rolleyes:

If there was ever a rule like that for the fuel classes that would be the end of TF and FC racing's popularity, IMO. :rolleyes:

It seems to have worked well in both jet classes. Lets face it gang, what ever formula they try to slow the cars down, it will only be a temporary fix. In just a few years the crew chiefs will be going just as fast as they are now.
So we're right back to the same problem, slow them again.

With a limit, problem solved. As the parts and technology allows, you up the limit.

It seems to have worked well in both jet classes.

Jet cars are for exhibition racing, quite different than race teams going for championships. Not many people care who wins a jet car race. They just like watching them...the noise, pre launch engine popping, 'burners at the start, etc.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back