Well I guess Matt Smith was right. (2 Viewers)

mgty3whlr

Nitro Member
1711671934811.png
1711671970632.png

how, or why was there more than one fuel being used? was this addressed in the PSB rules? was this happening in HD days as well? or something recent?
what is the whole story?

If Vance & Hines are being allowed to use different fuel then mandate that they furnish that fuel to everyone or have everyone show up to the starting line empty and add the fuel there. If the bikes pass fuel check now they can't be doing much different to the fuel. It seems strange that only Gaige's bike would be getting this MAGIC fuel. The Eagles had a perfect song for this situation - "Get Over It".:)

If Vance & Hines are being allowed to use different fuel then mandate that they furnish that fuel to everyone or have everyone show up to the starting line empty and add the fuel there. If the bikes pass fuel check now they can't be doing much different to the fuel. It seems strange that only Gaige's bike would be getting this MAGIC fuel. The Eagles had a perfect song for this situation - "Get Over It".:)
The fuel was available to everyone. It just supposedly worked better in the Suzuki than in the V-Twin.

Thats kind of funny! I have a Harley Davidson & a friend of mine has a Suzuki Hayabusa. We both buy our gas (fuel) at the same station and it works better in his Motor than mine. You think it might be the engine design?

Is there any realm of possibility that there is any similarity between production street bike engines vs race versions?

Is there any realm of possibility that there is any similarity between production street bike engines vs race versions?
Actually Yes - The similarity is: In both cases you are talking about a long stroke 2 cylinder pushrod engine vs a short stroke 4 cylinder OHC engine desigened at least 50 or more years apart where the burn time across the piston and down the hole would (could) absolutely affect the fuel burn and the efficency.

First thing would be 2-2 1/2 hours between rounds and an extra trailer for maintainance between rounds. Next would be to reset the RPM limit by a few thousand and tell me where I can invest in a Valve Spring company.;)
Overhead valve motors are much less punising on valve springs due to not having to push the weight of lifters and push rods as well as valve, I think you are right about rpm limits though

First thing would be 2-2 1/2 hours between rounds and an extra trailer for maintainance between rounds. Next would be to reset the RPM limit by a few thousand and tell me where I can invest in a Valve Spring company.;)
Wonder what nitro classes would be like with DOHC 4 valve/cyl engines.
McGee's double over head cam top fuel engine was showing promise at one point

Overhead valve motors are much less punising on valve springs due to not having to push the weight of lifters and push rods as well as valve, I think you are right about rpm limits though
Pretty sure you meant OverHead Cam motors but I know exactly what you mean. Years ago Isky ran a Spintron he made with lifters filled with lead and solid pushrods vs regular lifters and solid pushrods for 8 hours straight. The results between the two were negligbile when flooded with oil, But this was without boost against the valve and large fans at way less than the RPM we would be talking about . The heat generated by the valves bending and almost coil binding every cycle was crazy. Also I was being Kind of a smart A$$, but Steve Johnson said a couple of years ago he straightened out his PS/M program by changing valve springs at least between Qualifying & Eliminations. Pretty sure that this scerinio would would be really hard on parts though.

Pretty sure you meant OverHead Cam motors but I know exactly what you mean. Years ago Isky ran a Spintron he made with lifters filled with lead and solid pushrods vs regular lifters and solid pushrods for 8 hours straight. The results between the two were negligbile when flooded with oil, But this was without boost against the valve and large fans at way less than the RPM we would be talking about . The heat generated by the valves bending and almost coil binding every cycle was crazy. Also I was being Kind of a smart A$$, but Steve Johnson said a couple of years ago he straightened out his PS/M program by changing valve springs at least between Qualifying & Eliminations. Pretty sure that this scerinio would would be really hard on parts though.
Yes I did Rodger, thank you

In the late 60's, we had a spin fixture at Crane, driven by a variable speed 15 hp electric motor, attached to the crankshaft. Usually had a SBC mounted, but used other engines, too. Used a strobe to view the valve train motion. You could see valve spring surge through the clear Mr. Gasket valve covers, and could hear all sorts of unpleasantries when float or separation occurred. Yes, after 4-5 minutes at 8000 RPM, the valve springs would generate enough heat to start melting the valve covers.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back