We have full fields?????? (1 Viewer)

Great PR spin, and honestly that is what they should be doing from a pr point of view, as long as the powers that be understand more....... I think most expected better fields to start the season as some teams will hope to shake some money loose by being out there. As the season wears on though unless some things improve drastically then we will see many short fields.

Last year there were 2 short fields and at least another 5 where only 16 showed up. Since then we've seen an exodous of sponsors with only a few to replace them.

Hopefully it will not be as gloomy as it has looked over the winter

"...more Top Fuel cars in attendance than at last year's event."

Last year:
1. Antron Brown
2. Larry Dixon
3. Tony Schumacher
4. Morgan Lucas
5. Hillary Will
6. Alan Bradshaw
7. David Grubnic
8. Cory McClenathan
9. Brandon Bernstein
10. Rod Fuller
11. Doug Herbert
12. J.R. Todd
13. Bob Vandergriff
14. Doug Kalitta
15. Troy Buff
16. Urs Erbacher
17. Steven Chrisman

Can anyone name 18+ fuel cars known to be confirmed?
Don't you have to replace the 7 cars (possibly 8) that are known to be parked first?

6 cars - Hillary Will, David Grubnic, Rod Fuller, Doug Herbert, J.R. Todd and Bob Vandergriff are all known to be parked and not racing for now. That leaves 11 returning cars from last year.

Alan Bradshaw is no longer employed (Tuttle team is parked). That takes you down to 10 cars from last year.

Doug Kalitta is a Maybe? Still on the entry list under Mac Tools. That would take you down to a total of 9 cars from last year.

The new Dixon team bumps you up 1. So that still

Below are the 6 drivers entered for this years race that weren't there last year. Including these 6, the class total on the entry list is 14. I'll give you Chrisman, they may have just not entered yet which could potentially round out the 16 car field. But other than that, can somebody tell me where they would find 2 or 3 more "new" cars that would make field 18+?

David Baca
Mike Strasburg
Clay Millican
Spencer Massey
Rob Passey
Arley Langlo

I think for a better look at the season, look at the entry list for Gainesville.

Five (5) TF cars listed. Yes, its early, but not that early.

TAD is way down also.

Lee
Nitroclovers

Don't you have to replace the 7 cars (possibly 8) that are known to be parked first?

6 cars - Hillary Will, David Grubnic, Rod Fuller, Doug Herbert, J.R. Todd and Bob Vandergriff are all known to be parked and not racing for now. That leaves 11 returning cars from last year.

Alan Bradshaw is no longer employed (Tuttle team is parked). That takes you down to 10 cars from last year.

Doug Kalitta is a Maybe? Still on the entry list under Mac Tools. That would take you down to a total of 9 cars from last year.

The new Dixon team bumps you up 1. So that still

Below are the 6 drivers entered for this years race that weren't there last year. Including these 6, the class total on the entry list is 14. I'll give you Chrisman, they may have just not entered yet which could potentially round out the 16 car field. But other than that, can somebody tell me where they would find 2 or 3 more "new" cars that would make field 18+?

David Baca
Mike Strasburg
Clay Millican
Spencer Massey
Rob Passey
Arley Langlo

Hartley and Carter, as mentioned above.

don't you have to preregistry to have a spot in the feild. I think that is why there is so mini pros signed up right now hoping for sponorship to come in before the new year.

I realize this has to be terrible news for all of the doomsayers on nitromater but I for one look forward to a great Winternationals race, Just like all the previous Winternationals!:D

everyone keeps looking at pomona like its the tell all of the season...start looking 4 or 5 races into the season when a good third of the field wont be able to run out of there own pockets anymore....

I realize this has to be terrible news for all of the doomsayers on nitromater but I for one look forward to a great Winternationals race, Just like all the previous Winternationals!:D

Paul I don't think that NHRA is going to fold but it is going to be a less than stellar year with enemic entries the economy will see to that.
I think some of the Doomsayers that you are referring too would like to see NHRA colapse because they feel that they are so arrogant in their business practices. :rolleyes:

No doomsaying ... merely facts. We all hope there will be no affect to any of our avid hobbies and personal pleasures, but not likely. That's great if Pomona is full ... but as already said by many others, let's see 3 or 4 races in (Let's say Houston). How many races will Mike Strasburg attend? How about Arley Langlo, Rob Passey or Steve Chrisman? Carter is a 1 time deal as far as we know. These are the privateer teams that would put fields over 16 cars. Plus, unfortunatley for those teams 1 bad blow-up brings it all to an end unlike the big Pro teams. There is already a new report and post about the rumored demise of the Matco Tools Antron Brown team. Until we turn the corner on this crisis, this will continue to be the norm. Businesses are scared silly right now and cash is king. That's why they are selling assets and hoarding the money. Saw this quote in an article about NASCAR this week, think things aren't tough? We are talking about the Daytona 500 which has almost a cult following.

"By the end of January last year, every grandstand ticket for the Daytona 500 was sold out ... As of now, Daytona has sold roughly 110,000 of the track’s 168,000 seats for this year's event".

No doomsaying ... merely facts. We all hope there will be no affect to any of our avid hobbies and personal pleasures, but not likely. That's great if Pomona is full ... but as already said by many others, let's see 3 or 4 races in (Let's say Houston). How many races will Mike Strasburg attend? How about Arley Langlo, Rob Passey or Steve Chrisman? Carter is a 1 time deal as far as we know. These are the privateer teams that would put fields over 16 cars. Plus, unfortunatley for those teams 1 bad blow-up brings it all to an end unlike the big Pro teams. There is already a new report and post about the rumored demise of the Matco Tools Antron Brown team. Until we turn the corner on this crisis, this will continue to be the norm. Businesses are scared silly right now and cash is king. That's why they are selling assets and hoarding the money. Saw this quote in an article about NASCAR this week, think things aren't tough? We are talking about the Daytona 500 which has almost a cult following.

"By the end of January last year, every grandstand ticket for the Daytona 500 was sold out ... As of now, Daytona has sold roughly 110,000 of the track’s 168,000 seats for this year's event".

Jim some people just can't grasp the current situation no matter how visable the signs are..... ;)

Jim some people just can't grasp the current situation no matter how visable the signs are..... ;)
Bob, I am just as aware of the current economic situation as you or anyone else on this board. I refuse to dwell on the negative aspect and second guess every move that each and every team will do or not do for the rest of the season. I'm not worried at this time who will show at Englishtown or Denver or Indy. I realize drag racing is not immune to the economic situation and I'm sure we will feel the effects like every sport will. But, being a fan of the sport I will watch,And enjoy, every national event on the tour. Weather 35 or 12 T/F cars show up make the best of it rather than getting on the web and whining.
Try being a little more positive, who knows you might enjoy life a little more!;)

Bob, I am just as aware of the current economic situation as you or anyone else on this board. I refuse to dwell on the negative aspect and second guess every move that each and every team will do or not do for the rest of the season. I'm not worried at this time who will show at Englishtown or Denver or Indy. I realize drag racing is not immune to the economic situation and I'm sure we will feel the effects like every sport will. But, being a fan of the sport I will watch,And enjoy, every national event on the tour. Weather 35 or 12 T/F cars show up make the best of it rather than getting on the web and whining.
Try being a little more positive, who knows you might enjoy life a little more!

Trust me I enjoy life a lot more than you think! ;) :D
I have many intrest drag racing is just one of the many but one thing I do know for a sport that is trying to get to the next level and make it more mainstream they will feel it more than most and for the health of the sport that's a negative.
Your the half full side of the spectrum and I'm more of the half empty.:rolleyes: I could live with it can you? :p

Paul, you bring up a good point. Everyone gets so caught up with the big question, "Short fields?". Well, yeah, no matter what happens at Pomona, you can bet fields will be light in many classes, at many races throughout the season. We're in a GLOBAL FINANCIAL CRISIS. Is that the end of drag racing? I don't think so. Adversity presents opportunity. Such as, maybe now is the time to really re-create the fuel categories so there can be a more affordable car that can run the 1/4 mile, maybe match racing will make a comeback, maybe new players will be attracted because there will be less competition for awhile, etc. I'm with you, I'm not going to whine and not attend a race because the TF field or whatever may be short. I'll just enjoy watching whoever does show up.

I think for a better look at the season, look at the entry list for Gainesville.

Five (5) TF cars listed. Yes, its early, but not that early.

TAD is way down also.

Lee
Nitroclovers

I was looking at that too. Funny car is looking good but I still say it is too early to tell!!!

Try being a little more positive, who knows you might enjoy life a little more!;)

That is the way I'm looking at it!!!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back