UK vs USA Comparisons (1 Viewer)

Jon C

Nitro Member
Following on from the majority of threads posted recently, which are seemingly concerned with the vexed and contentious issues of the comparative costs per capita of Bog Roll between our two great nations, I would seek to make other comparisons:

In the UK, we have a system of communication based on pressed wood pulp and concentrated Graphite rods. We call this 'a paper and pencil'. I wonder what whacked out and groovy names you have for these items over there in the colonies? Over here, paper retails for around £2.99 for 500 sheets of A4, although this is the high quality 'Tesco Value' end of the market, and a pencil can be purchased from a high status vendor such as 'Wilkinsons' for anything upto 50p for a pack of 5. I wonder how the current stregnth of Stirling, with a pound buying nearly 2 of your funky US Dollars, has affected the supply of 'paper and pencils' (or whatever you call them!) over there?

We also have a system of familial food distribituion which has become quite popular over here. The design is far from uniform in detail, but the basic concept of a flat slab, or indeed sheet, of material supported at each of its vertices by a vertical rod or support assembly remains common. We call this item a 'dining table'. They come in many shapes and sizes, from a few feet long to several hundred miles in diameter. I wonder if you have a similar system to this? wouldn't it be strange if you too used the term 'table'? If the idea takes off over there, remember where you read it first!

I would be fascinated to continue this exchange, and I look forward to all kinds of witty repartee and banter on the subject. Untill, of course, some d*ckh*ad mentions George Bush, American foreign policy, and the quest for oil, at which point, we are all doomed.

Thanks for listening. I know I just wasted 5 mins of your time, but hopefully some of it made you smile. Unlike some others....

I don't know about all that other stuff, but 23 weekends a year we have you guys whipped.:)

We have way more immigration than the UK so somebody must like the US better (if you think immigration is a good thing?)

I do know that terrorists worldwide made their announcement to attack with 9/11/01 and since that time our country has been absent of another attack?

We obviously have better dental health?

We have more drag racing facilities/sanctioning bodies/associations/clubs/etc.

But we have no Queen so what's the point of arguing.

After currency exchange the paper prices are comparable, but I think we get a much better deal in the pencils. That mode of communication being nearly extinct here as we have mostly evolved to internet and cellular. However, you may still find it in places such as median priced restaurants involving wait service. Of course, even those have grown to utilizing pens previously filled with ink.

The common table is still in use, yet also comes in other specialized forms such as tailgate, bar, lap as the American public tends to be creative in it's use of dining tools as the need arises.

Hope this helps. ;)

After currency exchange the paper prices are comparable, but I think we get a much better deal in the pencils. That mode of communication being nearly extinct here as we have mostly evolved to internet and cellular. However, you may still find it in places such as median priced restaurants involving wait service. Of course, even those have grown to utilizing pens previously filled with ink.

The common table is still in use, yet also comes in other specialized forms such as tailgate, bar, lap as the American public tends to be creative in it's use of dining tools as the need arises.

Hope this helps. ;)

Ooohhh... Witty too...What a nice addition to the board! :D

:D Thank you, thank you!

When did you see my font? ...oops, wait, confused that with another thread.

Seriously, I appreciate being made to feel so welcome.

Maybe if I changed the size a little you wouldn't be so creeped out. I spend a ton of time at work looking at ariel & times new roman, so using something that is less structured is nicer for me. Hope you won't let it stop you. :);):)

Last edited:
LMAO! Don't go changing for me.......you post however/whatever you want. :)

I promise, I couldn't change if I tried... I have tried... briefly now and then. :rolleyes:
But my big mouth always gets the best of me... one day I had my step granddad laughing so much that I thought he was going to inhale his pipe and that cinched it, I have to smart off... :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back