TV airing change? (1 Viewer)

There have been some Nascar races in the (not so distant) past that have been weather delayed and were cut off at the end of their network broadcast TV window.

One I remember specifically switched the end of the race to TBS (which not everyone has).

BTW... the national network didn't offered to air the remainder of race later in that same day for the viewers either.

So you're trying to tell me that if the Martinsville race yesterday started late that with 20 laps to go they would have ended the broadcast and told all the viewers to tune in at 1:00am?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy every bit of coverage we get and I know the rain isn't something that ESPN can control. It's just difficult for those of us on the East coast to catch the programming when it's on so late. This event wasn't so bad with the qualifying being on early on Saturday night and I was quite surprised about the 4:00pm start on Sunday. Usually it's not on until 1:00am. Why not have it on earlier I'm sure one episode of the 2004 World Series of Poker wouldn't be missed?

The Nascar coverage is insane, if you wanted, between Speed TV and Fox you can watch programming from 8:00am to 8:00pm on a race day. If Angelle raced in Nascar not only would we know she's wearing green underwear but they would have a cutaway model of Jimmie Spencer wearing them.

Last edited:
After staying up to watch the finals. I say with tears in my eyes......It was well worth it!

Hear, hear!

All in all I was impressed with the programming especially considering what they had to deal with weather-wise this weekend. Heck, we actually got to see some LIVE NHRA drag racing! Top that off with Joe Hartley giving JR all he wanted in the TF final and the emotion that the event produced for all the participants; kudos I say... well done!

Hear, hear!

All in all I was impressed with the programming especially considering what they had to deal with weather-wise this weekend. Heck, we actually got to see some LIVE NHRA drag racing! Top that off with Joe Hartley giving JR all he wanted in the TF final and the emotion that the event produced for all the participants; kudos I say... well done!
Tom, I wholeheardedly agree with my Sooner buddy! And, after dishing out several helpings of Paul Page criticism in the past, I have to say now that I thought he did a much better job yesterday. He handled the Eric Medlen situation quite well, showed a LOT more enthusiasm for good runs, and there were only a couple of situations when a good run popped up and he didn't react with some emotion. Overall, I kinda get the feeling that Paul has seen how close knit the drag racing community really is, and he now wants to be on board. Overall, a much better job and he showed a lot of improvement, in my opinion

So you're trying to tell me that if the Martinsville race yesterday started late that with 20 laps to go they would have ended the broadcast and told all the viewers to tune in at 1:00am?

To keep you analogy in perspective, Martinsville would have needed to start about 2-1/2 hours late, would have been cut away with about 160 laps to go, and would have never aired the end of the race on the broadcast network.

If this is how you rephrase the question, then the answer would be yes.

Last edited:
To keep you analogy in perspective, Martinsville would have needed to start about 2-1/2 hours late, would have been cut away with about 160 laps to go, and would have never aired the end of the race on the broadcast network.

If this is how you rephrase the question, then the answer would be yes.

Actually, to keep the analogy accurate, there would have had to be at least 65 minutes before they were going to run the last 40 laps. And in that case they would have cut away to do the baseball show. You all keep forgetting that they didn't run the first final until another hour after ESPN2 went off the air. That 7:04 PM for the Pro Stock final is about the time the Mets and the Cards took the field.

Pro Stock Final, Round 4 Eliminations

The Nascar coverage is insane, if you wanted, between Speed TV and Fox you can watch programming from 8:00am to 8:00pm on a race day. If Angelle raced in Nascar not only would we know she's wearing green underwear but they would have a cutaway model of Jimmie Spencer wearing them.

Yes you could watch that much racing. But why would you? All you have to know is when the last wreck happens and then you watch from there. I suspect that NASCAR racing is a lot of fun for the participants, especially in terms of laying out a strategy to get in position to be able to make a run for the win AFTER the last wreck happens. But why people watch before then, other than to see wrecks happen (and I bet that has a lot to do with it), is beyond me.

I have no idea who Jimmie Spencer is, but while I know NASCAR is trying to diversify it's audience, I didn't know they were going after the cross dresser segment of the market. LOL!

Actually my analogy is just purely a fictitious example in defense of my chosen favorite sport and the limited exposure it tends to get. In this case I agree there wasn't anything ESPN could do. They covered what they could (did a good job). The weather is the weather and eventually we did get to see some great racing.

I do stand by my claim however that if the Martinsville race was on ESPN and was cutoff with 20 to go (my equivalent of the final round) that Bristol Connecticut would be under siege today. lol

I do stand by my claim however that if the Martinsville race was on ESPN and was cutoff with 20 to go (my equivalent of the final round) that Bristol Connecticut would be under siege today. lol

1) No one is guaranteeing "flag to flag" coverage on the network Nascar broadcasts but you can bet that Fox would not pre-empt two hours of scheduled Sunday night programming to finish an 'average' Nascar race that is running late.

2) You seem to be glossing over the fact that in addition to the Houston professional finals, 3/8's of the semi final round still needed to be run.

Again, let's just be glad for what we were able to see live AND for the fact that ESPN gave us the complete event just a few hours later. See if FOX will ever do that.

I have yet to see ESPN ever let an NHRA race run over into anything. ANY other event they are running seems to bleed into a scheduled NHRA race. One year yacht racing from New Zealand cut into the Winternationals.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back