TIG Welding: What filler rod for chrome-moly tubing? (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
I used some ER70RS, ran out, and need to go to the welding supply place.

What filler rod do you guys like to use?

Thanx.
(I tried searching the archives, but the search function is not letting me for some reason)

*Again, I will say this as an un-informed spectator. I am not a superman, superwelder, super-chassis-man or any of the equivalent. Many on the board will be quick to point that out.*
The belle of the ball used to be the E-70S-2. Unfortunately about two or three years ago, the spec on that changed and allowed single-deoxified wire to be included in this spec. Lots of offshore makers started going hog wild in making this stuff. The single-deoxified wire is more inconsistent and tends to corrupt the weld more regularly. Basically a dirtier weld. If you can find the 70S that is triple-deoxified like the old spec, then go with it. If not, then the current spec for ER80 is maintained at the triple-deoxified specs and will keep a consistent and clean weld.
And happy welding! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
What Buzz said!

I was scratching my head with some of the ER-70-S2 I was using until I spoke with someone in the industry and informed me of the changes in the spec.

I'm still using the what I have left but will be going to the ER-80 on my next purchase.

ER-80-S2 as per Bob Meyer. Most on line welding suppliers are now stocking it. According the Bob the old ER-70-S2 would not pass the new standards 100% due to the import product from other countries where the spec didn't mean anything. I have been using the ER-80-S2 and really cannot find any difference, so the old ER-70-S2 I have may still be before the poor rods were coming in. Didn't mean to step on your toes Bob, but he is the guru on this.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back