Third Pomona Event? (1 Viewer)

I guess the only thing we need to worry about at Pomona III is RAIN!! If I remember correctly NHRA lost about half a day to rain in So Cal...IN AUGUST!! BTW, I remember the race to be very well attended indeed, considering the fact it rained and then turned muggy as all heck!:D

Actually the only downtime due to rain was on Thursday for a couple of hours, however you are right about the conditions being "muggy as all heck", I remember sucking down 32 oz cups of 7-up like there was no tomorrow! DRC summed it up best by saying "The track and pits are dry, but it's hot and humid. More like the East Coast this time of year. The normally aspirated race cars will suffer with this kind of weather." In terms of performance, the ETs were nothing to write home about (Low ET and speed for each class was :
TF - Gary Scelzi 4.551 seconds & Andrew Cowin 321.12 MPH
FC - Whit Bazemore 4.816 seconds & Gary Densham 319.07 MPH
PS - Jeg Coughlin 6.911 seconds & Kurt Johnson 200.32 MPH
PSB - Angelle Savoie 7.246 seconds & Craig Treble 185.13 MPH
The one thing that still stands out in my mind about that race is after the Top Fuel Final between Herbert and Scelzi, there was a couple minutes of downtime, and everybody was making the mad dash for the exits, but then they fired up the last pair of nostalgia Top Fuelers, and everybody just froze.

Getting back to the subject at hand. If the NHRA can't find a suitable track in Division Six for a second national event, I'm all for having a third race in Pomona over the Fourth of July weekend. For me, this would be perfect, My wife and I would fly down to the OC and visit her parents and hit the digs, the following week is the LODRS in Woodburn, and then two weeks later the national event in Seattle! 3/4 of the weekends in July spent at the track, could life get any better?

If they are truly going to make it an "All Star" event, do it at Indy. Most of the fuel teams are based there anyway. Do it over Memorial Day weekend (there was no memorial day race this year). That way, everyone knows to be at Indy Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends, and they won't have some ridiculous tow to the left coast.

When NHRA had that 50th Anniv. race in '01, it was a Bust! Crowds were Poor, the Weather was HOT! No thanks...:confused:

as I remember we had a huge downpour that made it even hotter. I was the food service supervisor in the top eliminator tent that year and I remember the water running through the tent. It then created a steam bath. Saw only 2 races that whole weekend. didnt do that again

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back