Third Pomona Event? (1 Viewer)

Weren't they already saying they are getting away from multiple events at one track? If that is their goal then I would say they wouldn't add a third at Pomona... Besides, div 7 has enough national events in their backyard...

CJ Curtsinger

There are restrictions in place for only a certain number of races per year at Pomona. They don't come from the city of Pomona, who loves the racers, they come from the city of Upland, which is right across the railroad tracks at the Fairplex. Since Upland says they don't get any of the revenue from having the races (of course they're not counting hotels, restaurants, etc) they complain constantly about the noise.

Way back when, NHRA ran the first division 7 event there. The Irwindale/OCIR crews were running the race. I answered the phone in the tower and a lady ask us to stop the event until a wedding nearby was done. That's the kind of stuff they put up with.

Pomona rates it's life span in the number of days it gets each year. With the Goodguys not racing anymore and Super Chevy (not sure on this one) not running there it would seem the track would have several days available. As for the Div-7 comment...Well. try having one of your events with 900+ cars because it's the week before the Pomona finals!:D

Pomona rates it's life span in the number of days it gets each year. With the Goodguys not racing anymore and Super Chevy (not sure on this one) not running there it would seem the track would have several days available. As for the Div-7 comment...Well. try having one of your events with 900+ cars because it's the week before the Pomona finals!:D
Super Chevy is now at California Speedway. And, it was a well run event, we had a ball.
When they had that July race a couple of years ago at Pomona, as was said, it was very succesfull and a lot of fun. The Pomona schedule has room for another race. It's part of the agreement with the cities and the fairplex. Bring it on, we could use another national event.

bring it on (extra race @ pomona)
make sure to have a few nostalgia rails and FC's for history & perspective.
On the TV show and on Motel 6 vision, show old clips from pomona
of the same nostalgia cars that will run minutes after those
clips are shown.
:cool:

When NHRA had that 50th Anniv. race in '01, it was a Bust! Crowds were Poor, the Weather was HOT! No thanks...:confused:

When NHRA had that 50th Anniv. race in '01, it was a Bust! Crowds were Poor, the Weather was HOT! No thanks...:confused:

Were you at the same 50th Anniversary Pomona Raceway event I attended? Yeah it the weather was as hot it is at Sears Point or Famoso, but it sure heated up at night on the racetrack. I just don't remember when "it was a Bust! Crowds were Poor" although I did not personally count the ticket stubs. Maybe you were at a different event. As I recall Doug Herbert won Top Fuel and Force won in F/C.

Last edited:
Were you at the same 50th Anniversary Pomona Raceway event I attended? Yeah it the weather was as hot it is at Sears Point or Famoso, but it sure heated up at night on the racetrack. I just don't remember when "it was a Bust! Crowds were Poor" although I did not personally count the ticket stubs. Maybe you were at a different event. As I recall Doug Herbert won Top Fuel and Force won in F/C.

Darr I was told by just about anybody and everybody that attendance was Far below the other Pomona races. And it was in the 90's all weekend as I remember.

Darr I was told by just about anybody and everybody that attendance was Far below the other Pomona races. And it was in the 90's all weekend as I remember.

Crowd was down a bit (I was very suprised), but So Cal (the birthplace of Drag Racing) would be the best choice (my unbiased opinion). ;)

Joe, I was there for all days including tech inspection, not "told by just about anybody".

Was Pomona 50th a sell out? I doubt it. NHRA does not release figures for attendance anymore, Pomona does have 44,000 seats + the Luxury boxes now.

Was it a "bust". No way. It was a party!

Was it 90º? Yeah it was in the middle of summer, it could have been 90º, but we usually have a dry heat here in SoCal.

Here's one for you... What's the temperature in St. Louis in June?

What's the temperature in Las Vegas in June/July?

What's the temperature in Englishtown in June/July?

What's the temperature at IRPin June/July?

What's the temperature in Houston in June/July?

What's the temperature at the Motorplex in June/July?

What's the temperature in Epping in June/July?

What's the temperature at Bandemire in June/July?

What's the temperature in Banning in June/July? :rolleyes:

I don't doubt your informational sources, my experience was different.

Joe, I'm not bagging on you, if you think temperature is an issue, dress accordingly. Pomona has a limited amount of "noise days" per year, this year the Fairplex promoted a CORR offroad event in the parking lot since there were available "noise days" with Goodguys and Super Chevy gone. There is an All Harley drag meet at Pomona the weekend after the Finals this year including Nitro Harleys.

Is Thursday or Friday a sellout at the Pomona Winternationals or World Finals? Does that make it a "bust"? However Thursday and Friday are two of the best days to attend any event at Pomona.

Pomona is still the the oldest track on the roster in one of the largest markets for drag racing on earth.

I have no way of knowing if a summer event is coming to Pomona in 2008, I hope so. It is a RUMOR!

There is an All Harley drag meet at Pomona the weekend after the Finals this year including Nitro Harleys.

:D

DSC01488.jpg

Joe, I was there for all days including tech inspection, not "told by just about anybody".

Was Pomona 50th a sell out? I doubt it. NHRA does not release figures for attendance anymore, Pomona does have 44,000 seats + the Luxury boxes now.

Was it a "bust". No way. It was a party!

Was it 90º? Yeah it was in the middle of summer, it could have been 90º, but we usually have a dry heat here in SoCal.

Here's one for you... What's the temperature in St. Louis in June?

What's the temperature in Las Vegas in June/July?

What's the temperature in Englishtown in June/July?

What's the temperature at IRPin June/July?

What's the temperature in Houston in June/July?

What's the temperature at the Motorplex in June/July?

What's the temperature in Epping in June/July?

What's the temperature at Bandemire in June/July?

What's the temperature in Banning in June/July? :rolleyes:

I don't doubt your informational sources, my experience was different.

Joe, I'm not bagging on you, if you think temperature is an issue, dress accordingly. Pomona has a limited amount of "noise days" per year, this year the Fairplex promoted a CORR offroad event in the parking lot since there were available "noise days" with Goodguys and Super Chevy gone. There is an All Harley drag meet at Pomona the weekend after the Finals this year including Nitro Harleys.

Is Thursday or Friday a sellout at the Pomona Winternationals or World Finals? Does that make it a "bust"? However Thursday and Friday are two of the best days to attend any event at Pomona.

Pomona is still the the oldest track on the roster in one of the largest markets for drag racing on earth.

I have no way of knowing if a summer event is coming to Pomona in 2008, I hope so. It is a RUMOR!

Darr, your proving my point! That's why after Chi-town it's stay home till Indy. The only reason I went to the 50th was because it was a night race, and I did have a Blast! I wish NHRA made most Summer month races Night races. Just my Opinion...

Last edited:
Darr, your proving my point! That's why after Chi-town it's stay home till Indy. The only reason I went to the 50th was because it was a night race, and I did have a Blast! I wish NHRA made most Summer month races Night races. Just my Opinion...

More night events at any track, any time of the year is a good thing...:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back