The Garlits Solution (1 Viewer)

sammi

Nitro Member
Wait...let me pull on my firesuit. OK.

Let's all pretend that NHRA is pragmatic and harbors no grudges.

The solution to this problem has a shop (and museum) in Ocala Florida. NHRA needs to swallow its pride and put Don Garlits to work on a solution. This man is the greatest practical engineer that sport has ever seen. All NHRA would have to do is tell Large Father how fast they want their cars to go and he certainly could come up with a practical, cost efffective rules set to accomplish NHRA's desire not kill off its stars, the racers desire not to be scared s*$@()s over the last 320 feet of the course and the team owners desire to not have to buy all new parts.

A little R&D money and a little respect from NHRA could probably get him to work on this issue.

Mark

Well...Dont think Big Daddy's the answer on this one.!...Next contestant!

Love Don! (for what he did!) Ledgendary...You betcha!

The Ole Boy hasn't run in 22 years! DID he hit 300??? (smartass..who cares!)

JIM HEAD et al, ARE the answer!!!

NHRA alraedy lost CHAD...They CANT lose JIM.

Lemmee guess...Kenny recommending Ray Alley for any job avail.!!!

(Sorry...THATS BEEN DONE TO DEATH>!!!!!)-LOL!

(just tryin to bring some humor to the 'mater after all the BLACKNESS.!)

Mark do you remember when Garlits ran that 5:63 at Ontario motor speedway? Don used a high compression motor. Do you know what he did with that motor after that race? He removed it and hid it under a bench in his shop. He did not want the sport to progress to that level because of the potential for parts attrition and its associated expense. That record stood for ages. It was unmatched, Garlits could have dominated for that decade using that combination. But chose not to.

Let's lock Garlits, Head, Manzo, Force, Fedderly, Coil, Alan Johnson, T. Ped, and Don Prudhomme all in a room with a dry erase board and a bunch of drawing paper.

Tell me a group like that wouldn't know what to do.

Last edited:
Let's lock Garlits, Head, Manzo, Force, Fedderly, Coil, Alan Johnson, T. Ped, and Don Prudhomme all in a room with a dry erase board and a bunch of drawing paper.

I actually like this idea. Take Force out of there though. As much respect as I have for John Force, he's part of the overall problem at NHRA - too much time and money to spend making the cars go faster. I think someone on here had used the terminology that he spends money like a drunken sailor over there. John Force and cost-efficency is a bit of an oxymoron.

Honestly my choice to look at this issue would be Big, Head, Armstrong and the "boys" at JFR. For a resolution will take brains, people who can think out of the box and $$$$$$ which this group of people would have!

Don't see how ANYONE could bunch John Force in the drag racing guru bunch.
He, John Force is a Barnum n Baily sorta promoter, not a fuel motor guru.
I dout he knows much on the enginering side of drag racing.
BUT he knows how to work the crowd and drive.

Don't see how ANYONE could bunch John Force in the drag racing guru bunch.
He, John Force is a Barnum n Baily sorta promoter, not a fuel motor guru.
I dout he knows much on the enginering side of drag racing.
BUT he knows how to work the crowd and drive.

doug I can't agree with you more but we need him for the good of the sport! not to mention he is a hell of a driver! IF you read my post carefully it says the "boys" at JFR not John himself - austin, bernie, medlen, prock are a hell of a brain trust. they are my suggestions to be on the "team"! let JF "work" NHRA for the money to make things happen.

Hheeeelllppppp I'm being hijacked!

The point of The Garlits Solution is to bring in a very talented "outsider" who can look objectively at the problem of how to build a fuel engine that will be reliable and run 4.95 @ 280mph and use the existing parts teams have in their trailer. As for Alan Johnson, did NAPCAR ask Chad Knaus to help them design and build that abomination they race now?

Force is a huge part of the problem. He will not be remembered as the winningest racer of drag racing history, he will be collared as the guy who led the sport down a very dangerous and expensive cul-de-sac.

As for all of the "Saint Force" crowd, remember his safety improvements have done nothing to increase engine reliability or reduce speed. (flipping down my face shield and zipping up my firesuit.....)

Mark

Don't you think that they ought to have Bob Meyer, Plueger, Long and a few other proven chassis/safety experts locked in the room with them?

We had Garlits on the Sammy & Bob Show 2 or 3 weeks ago. I think it was a week or two before Englishtown. I asked him in his opinion what he would do to the fuel cars to make them safer. He said immediately "Shorten the track to 1000'."

Force is a huge part of the problem. He will not be remembered as the winningest racer of drag racing history, he will be collared as the guy who led the sport down a very dangerous and expensive cul-de-sac.
Mark

I highly doubt that, Mark. He will be remembered as the winning-est drag racer in history by the masses.

He operated within the parameters set-forth by the sanctioning body, which is nothing more than anyone else would do if they had the resources. If anyone is to blame, it's the sanctioning body itself and those appointed to make/maintain the rules to start with.

To to say he's responsible for taking the sport to an unprecedented level of danger is an irresponsible way to put it as far as I'm concerned. His endeavors undoubtedly ran the cost of operation through the roof, but the level of danger brought forth by the increased performance is nothing more than a by-product of that increased performance.

If I read too much into that particular portion of your post, then I apologize. But I completely disagree with what I perceived as direct blame to the man who has undoubtedly done more for modern day drag racing than anyone on the planet.

Sean D

Don Garlits would be a reasonable and practical person to act as chairman of whatever task force is assigned to this problem. his experience in terms of finding multiple solutions to problems translates across ET and speed records. It is the ability to look at a problem/situation and determine why it exists and whether or not is should exist, then take a look at what is occuring to create the hazard in conjunction with the operating environment, disassembling the equation as it stands, and put in place a formula to remove as much risk as possible while maintaining the integrity of the sport.

Don Garlits has the credentials to accomplish this task if he were to be provided a few good soldiers and the resources necessary to accomplish it.

I e-mailed Big and asked him. He said he's fine with 1000ft. That the current cars are too fast for both the track and the drivers.
So don't look for a return to 1320 any time soon.
And I think IHRA will soon follow.

Big actually went 323.

BigTop.jpg

I e-mailed Big and asked him. He said he's fine with 1000ft. That the current cars are too fast for both the track and the drivers.
So don't look for a return to 1320 any time soon.
And I think IHRA will soon follow.

There you go now........

ANOTHER Legendary Nitro racer for the "Experts" on here to "throw under the bus":(

Gee, there won't be anyone left, well, there is still "Mel"

Maybe we can start calling this "Mellomater";)

REX

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back