The Chrysler Crossfire (1 Viewer)

Hutch

Nitro Member
The Crossfire combines American design with German engineering. Look underneath and you'll find a lot of Mercedes parts, including the V6 engine, multilink suspension, and steering.

So is the Chrysler Crossfire just a re-badged Mercedes?

The Crossfire combines American design with German engineering. Look underneath and you'll find a lot of Mercedes parts, including the V6 engine, multilink suspension, and steering.

So is the Chrysler Crossfire just a re-badged Mercedes?

Daimler Chrysler Corp uses the same platform for many of their vehicles. It's a production line decision ($) that enables a single line to be used for multiple vehicles. Essentially, the voyager, town and country, and caravan are on the same platform. There are other vehicles but the van is the most common.

I think the Grand Cherokee is on the same platform as one of the Mercedes SVU's as well.

DC is not alone in doing so, for many moons and even now, the Ford ranger platform is the same as the Mazda platform.

My dad wants a Chysler Crossfire made into a roadster body to replace his 27 T Roadster body. His roadster already has a Mopar big block in it (although, sadly, it's not a HEMI).

The Crossfire is basically a CLK for about half-price.

The motor in the SRT-6 version is the motor that used to be in the CLK32 AMG before it switched to a V8.

As far as the Grand Cherokee, it has some Benz components but the platform is not based on a Benz SUV. If it was it's base sticker price would be a lot higher.

Speaking of the Grand Cherokee, it is getting the 3.0L turbodiesel V6. The little bugger has 400 ft/lbs of torque and can tow 7400lbs!

DaimlerChrysler recently announced that they would not be sharing platforms between Chrysler and Mercedes.

I knew there was something in that pile of magazines that I could eventually need.
Although I was positive I read somewhere that the Crossfire was on a Mercedes platform.

Hmmm...I can't find the article that I read it in, but I'm sure as heck not going to go surfing through the magazine avalance in the back!
Edit:
Ha! I was right to begin with

an automotive industries article, writen by John Peter, April 2003

Crossfire is the first vehicle to benefit from the synthesis between merging Chrysler and Mercedes. Crossfire is plenty Mercedes SLK underneath, borrowing the small car's platform from the rear bulkhead forward (the rear was redesigned to accommodate the center-mounted exhaust). But Chrysler engineers developed a Porsche-stiff chassis and tuned the Mercedes suspension to better handle the larger wheels and tires.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that the Crossfire was the last "platform-sharing" car at DCX, from now on all new Chrysler vehicles are going to be all-new.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back