The big Go - Big deal? (1 Viewer)

Why do baseball fans want to take in a game at Wrigley or Fenway? Other than perhaps your home team's park

Very true. Last season I went to Fenway for the first time. I'm a Mets fan, but going to Fenway was a big deal to me. Just stepping into that ballpark and knowing the history of the place gave me goosebumps. I'm yet to go to Wrigley and it is something I need to do before I die. Why? It's one of the greatest ballparks ever. Yeah sure being a Mets fan I get spoiled with Citi Field, but I much preferred going to games at Shea. Same as I prefer going to races like the US Nats, The Winters and the Finals, I also loved the Gators and Etown. I understand the need for newer venues and yes they're nice but that's where it stops. They don't have the same feeling the ones listed do and that's why when I'm in America I try to go to those races because they still mean something and give me goosebumps no matter how many times I go. So your normal run of the mill race at say a Charlotte or Chicago for example are not the same event as the US Nats, because quite frankly there is nothing special about those races. So therefore the US Nats in my opinion is not just 'another' race it is much more. If you think it is just another race on the schedule you're forgetting what the race actually means.

If you park in the southeast lot and get there early enough, you can see them come out from the shadows of the tank farm. Just like the ball diamond in "Field of Dreams", THE NATIONALS is heaven on earth for straight line racers. If there is a Glimmer Belt that drives the pump in your chest, they will stop and talk to you. I ran into Eric Friday morning and said," I dont even know why I came today because it will be so hot, all you will get to see is a smokefest." "Chill-out, Robslob," he replied. "If you make through the day, the fuel cars will stick." Guess what? 130+ track temps and still a great show!!! I"ll swear I saw the angels of the oldtimers pushin' down on rear of those fuel cars. Do you think that it was just an accident that Darren Bay's chute was caught by the other jet car during the crash ? Nope, Blaine and Elmer were out there..no more will die on the big end at the Big Go on their watch. Just another National event; MY BUTT...

Last edited:
Wow.. Surprised that anyone would create this thread..

Does the history and tradition of the sport not mean anything?

Yikes...

I've been fortunate enough to go to a big % of the Indy's from my first time in '71 when my dad was racing, to this year as spectators. All I can say is that even the years I missed it, I started to get "that feeling" about 10 days before the start of the event. Going this year was a blast, and having a buddy (Chuck Comella) competing in the Hemi Shootout added to the excitement. Let me tell you, given how s**ty the economy is, and how many people are hurting, it was great to see 25 TF cars, 20+ Hemi Shootout cars, 60+ of the best Comp cars, and very full stands throughout the weekend. We had planned to get there early, Wednesday night, and stay through Saturday night, due to comittments. But watching the Saturday night session, after it had finally cooled off, was awesome. We were sorry we couldn't stay for the last 2 days.
Having said all that, I do believe NHRA is missing the boat by not adding to the event. The 1.5 or double point deal would be a good one, especially with Indy being the race setting the countdown. And while it does pay more, it needs to pay a LOT more. I'm pretty sure the Indy 500 pays an enormous amount more than other events. Give big bonuses for low ET AND Top Speed. Things like that would really help Indy continue to be the special race that it is, especially for newer fans and racers that aren't as familiar with the event's history.

I've been fortunate enough to go to a big % of the Indy's from my first time in '71 when my dad was racing, to this year as spectators. All I can say is that even the years I missed it, I started to get "that feeling" about 10 days before the start of the event. Going this year was a blast, and having a buddy (Chuck Comella) competing in the Hemi Shootout added to the excitement. Let me tell you, given how s**ty the economy is, and how many people are hurting, it was great to see 25 TF cars, 20+ Hemi Shootout cars, 60+ of the best Comp cars, and very full stands throughout the weekend. We had planned to get there early, Wednesday night, and stay through Saturday night, due to comittments. But watching the Saturday night session, after it had finally cooled off, was awesome. We were sorry we couldn't stay for the last 2 days.
Having said all that, I do believe NHRA is missing the boat by not adding to the event. The 1.5 or double point deal would be a good one, especially with Indy being the race setting the countdown. And while it does pay more, it needs to pay a LOT more. I'm pretty sure the Indy 500 pays an enormous amount more than other events. Give big bonuses for low ET AND Top Speed. Things like that would really help Indy continue to be the special race that it is, especially for newer fans and racers that aren't as familiar with the event's history.
This is a very good post.:)

Its like anything if history doesn't mean anything to you, then you probably wont understand. In my mind history will beat flashyness any day.

Unfortunatly newer fans or new fans who don't know may not understand the historical significance but in saying that I am sure there are fans out there who don't realise there is a competitive motorport event going on and that they are actually at a race watching people racing.

Anyway for your viewing pleasure here are some old us national races on youtube.

1978 US Nationals:
http://www.competitionplus.com/competitionplustv/18865-indy-week-at-cptv-1978-an-emotional-event

1979 US Nationals:
1979 NHRA US Nationals Part 1 - YouTube
1979 NHRA US Nationals Part 2 - YouTube
1979 NHRA US Nationals Part 3 - YouTube
1979 NHRA US Nationals Part 4 - YouTube

1980 US Nationals
1980 NHRA US Nationals Part 1 - YouTube
1980 NHRA US Nationals Part 2 - YouTube
1980 NHRA US Nationals Part 3 - YouTube
1980 NHRA US Nationals Part 4 - YouTube
1980 NHRA US Nationals Part 5 - YouTube

1982 US Nationals
NHRA U.S. Nationals 1982, Part 1 - YouTube
NHRA U.S. Nationals 1982, Part 2 - YouTube
NHRA U.S. Nationals - 1982 - Part 3 - YouTube
1982 NHRA U.S. Nationals, Part 4 - YouTube

I'm with you on this one James. Indy is the only race that teams test at the track a week before the race. And when teams pull in to Indy you can bet they are going to have their best, blocks/heads/blowers/fuel pumps, and clutch discs. We have had our worst explosions at Indy, but we have also had our two best runs at Indy.:)

This is the first and only post I've seen that possibly puts today's Indy race above the rest on the tour. As others have mentioned, maybe things could be done to make this race even more unique among the 20+ other races.. as mentioned a MUCH bigger cash purse would be the biggest incentive. Add a bragging rights sub race similar to the Big Bud or TF classic or PS challenge... they're running 5 qualifying rounds already, you only need 4 for a 16 car race... base it on points.. or one single qualifying round on Thursday for all the pros. That would bring the double up bonus again... more cash...

Does the history and tradition of the sport not mean anything?

That history in my opinion doesn't make today's race special. If they're going to base the future of Indy on the past, Indy is going to slowly die off altogether, especially if they're going to preserve the track and never upgrade. I don't think the history will make my 4 month old son want to drive to Indy in 20 years, but if he's into the NHRA and it's still around, the things I mentioned above might.

And when a newbie to drag racing decides to take a summer road trip starting at Brainerd, then off to Indy and then to Charlotte, other than the amazingly restored, past-century hardware on display and cackled at Indy - and the length of the event, how is Indy any different to that person than the other two.

That person has no memory of previous events to cloud his thinking.

My first US Nationals was in '64, damn that was an amazing time, but the only thing last weekend's US Nationals had in common was the venue... today there aren't even any drunk campers on the grounds anymore with hand scrawled "SHOW US YOUR TITS" signs!

And when a newbie to drag racing decides to take a summer road trip starting at Brainerd, then off to Indy and then to Charlotte, other than the amazingly restored, past-century hardware on display and cackled at Indy - and the length of the event, how is Indy any different to that person than the other two.

That person has no memory of previous events to cloud his thinking.

That person would probably come away from that road trip having the time
of his life @ BIR, enduring the length & heat of Indy, then being impressed
by the palace called zmax and wondering why such an average venue such
as BIR not only produced the best weekend of the three, but also produced
many bare chests, and he didn't even have to use a sign! :D

and to clarify; your 'newbie' is young male.
only guys take summer road trips to races and he's young because he's not working; hence the ability to take off for a month ;)

My first US Nationals was in '64, damn that was an amazing time, but the only thing last weekend's US Nationals had in common was the venue... today there aren't even any drunk campers on the grounds anymore with hand scrawled "SHOW US YOUR TITS" signs!

A group of us camped there in '89 - had an amazing time sat - mon.
remember super stock magazine when i was a kid when you would wait for
the indy winners issue with the likes of winnner dennis baca; still remember
a photo from that issue of well endowed fan with halter top that read,
'dennis baca supporter'

will not argue that other nat. events may hold equal or greater amounts of
entertainment and enjoyment for fans, whether newbies or veterans.
is indy as special today on 22-23 race series as it was on a 8 or less race
series?....arguably not, but the sport did grow up around this race and
this venue and i'm old enough for this to still mean something.
I love the BIR race; waaaay too much fun and it's the same group of cars;
but each year after BIR attention turns towards indy for the next two weeks.....

Do you think that it was just an accident that Darren Bay's chute was caught by the other jet car during the crash ? Nope, Blaine and Elmer were out there..no more will die on the big end at the Big Go on their watch. Just another National event; MY BUTT...

I bet the late Steve Engel was looking for them when his pro mod went head on into the wall in the shut down area in 2008.. Quite a nice sentiment but impractical.

Also Wrigley field isn't all that it's cracked up to be, and the Cubs never win anything worthwhile. However they still pack the place. It depends on your view of sports. Do you go for a good show, or do you go to become a drunk obnoxious spectator?

Today's version bears little resemblance to the version a 14 year old boy climed the fence to see at Okla City or the versions I participated in during the 60s where after making a pass we got back in line at the hot gate and serviced the car on the fire up road. Everyone had their motors set on kill because nothing mattered except making the field. In the 60s and early 70s it rained parts at the finish line. Having gone a few times in the 80s and 90s I've lost all interest in Indy as a special race. The competitors all give lip service to the mistique of Indy but in actually it's no different to them than any other race. I now stay home to avoid getting bummed. Drag racing in it's sanitary version is not nearly as much fun or entaining. Most of you don't have any idea what you missed.

Another point is that the times and speeds today aren't going to get better, even with unlimited testing and a 5th qualifying session. Times and speeds have a cap on them nowadays with rules such as rev limiters. I would think back in the day when the classes were still to a certain extent unlimited, you would see unusually good times and speeds over the US Nats weekend with the extra exposure to the track.

The only thing the extra testing and session give is perhaps a tighter race, but the 1000' I think made most races tight at the finish (beyond first round of course due to the performance gap between the top and bottom half)

John, nothing stays the same. There were parts of the "good old days" that I miss, but there's plenty to enjoy about the modern show. IMO anyway. And you're fooling yourself if you think the competitors give only lip service and don't feel anything special about Indy.

Wait... there was a drag race this past weekend?

I don't even remember who won last year's US Nationls.

As far as I'm concerned, the only people who think Indy is just another race are (A) those who haven't been there and (B) those who are only interested in blowers and nitro. Just sayin'.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back