The Bazemore Files Debuts (1 Viewer)

I have my own unique thought about Whit. I forget what year it was, but we were headed across the country to Atco for a motorcycle national that was the week after Indy. So we left early so we could go to my first (and only) US nationals.

Whit was driving his hand soap car. He goes down through there and the thing erupts into a fireball in the lights. Then it rolls on down into the shut down area and by this time the smoke is very thick and black. He was in there way too long.

I'm thinking " I finally made it to Indy and now I am watching some guy burn to death in a funnycar."

Miraculously he got out alive. I had such a feeling of relief and joy when that happened.

Ever since then, when ever I saw Whit, I had that great feeling that I didn't have to watch him die.

Not what I would exactly call an appropriate statement to make to a young kid, but Whit Bazemore in the Winston FC days told my younger brother who was maybe 11-12 at the time something he'd never forget. This was at VMP.

My brother was a typical autograph seeker, and sometimes he'd get bashful or intimidated or both ( I was same way) depending on the driver. Whit standing at his trailer notices him just standing there holding the handout card. My brother makes eye contact with him and just stands there. Dad motioned him to go on up to him for his autograph. Whit, standing alone, sees him and calls him over to him.

Whit signs it, and says "You need to ask for sh(poop) if you want something".
Whit smiled, then thanked him.

I could care less what anybody thinks or says about Whit. People are entitled to their opinions.

Back when Corradi was tuning for Whit, we stopped by their Pit after the last qualifying session on a Saturday night at Pomona.

This little boy had walked up close to the car and was standing there just starring at Whit. We had a brief opportunity to hang out for a few minutes and shake hands with the guys. Some time went by and I had looked over and noticed the kid was still quietly standing in the same place...had never moved.

I'll never forget this....right in front of everybody...Whit walked up to the boy and said..."hey how ya doing kid" The boy stood their frozen...and said nothing. Whit then said something like..."Listen Kid....if you don't talk or ask for anything in Life...your never going to go to far"

To this day....I think of those words for a lot of things I do and for the people I meet.

Besides...the guy has the balls to one hand the wheel and grab the brake with the other in a Fuel Funny Car if it means saving a run.
I know...I know...............tuners hate that.

Last edited:
Drag Racing lost alot of "color interviews" when Whitt moved on. I miss it as I believe Drag Racing interviews for the most part are spineless, boring , and nothing a first time fan would tune back in for ------

As I have said before, why is it football players can beat the **** outta one another , talk smack the whole game, then go out for dinner together when it's over--------- I used to watch Whit, Cory Mac, Cruz, just to see what they would say when interviewed------- I miss those days, I get tired of the thanking of sponsors, first , middle and last of every encounter with a camera-------------raw emotion is what really sells TV time , it's obvious by watching what is programmed daily----- I wish Drag Racing would find more of it.

I didn't always agree with what he said or his attitude but loved that somebody was willing to say something and I respected him for that.

After what he did for our fellow mater Roger, I became a fan. I hope to see him behind the wheel again.

I never found myself a Fuller fan, mainly for his entire DSR opposition campaign he ran talking smack about Dark Side Racing any chance he got when in reality it just came off sore loserish. During that entire time no one at DSR sunk to that level. Then after all the crap he talked he had the nerve to be a hipocrite and drive for DSR! Never sat well with me. I also am pretty sure Whit would of had a much better season in his TF debut if all the sponsor money wasn't also paying unsponsored Fuller's team and just stayed with Baze. Honestly, David Powers was a good guy tho.

The whole “Dark Side Racing” deal was a play on the initials DSR. I don’t know if the Dark Side moniker ever really bothered Tony or anybody else at DSR.
Then we had Tony calling Hot Rod a circus monkey. Hot Rod got a kick out of that and even had a few T-shirts made up with a circus monkey on the front and Beware of the Dark Side on the back.
I wore mine to the Joliet race in 2009 when the company I work for played a small sponsorship role on Hot Rod’s car for a couple of races. People laughed at the shirt. I never heard anybody say anything negative about it.
Besides, how many people on here have said they wished more drivers would speak their minds and not necessarily be friends with all the other drivers?
Like it or not, you’ve got to admit the Hot Rod/Schumacher rivalry was pretty intense, if only for a couple of years.
As far as the deal with Whit, I have always liked the guy, and wish he was still driving. But, he would have regretted taking a swing at Hot Rod that particular day.

Last edited:
I worked on Tony P's car in '03 when we won the championship. That year, there was alot of crap between Tony and Whit, some of which was made worse by Tony's comments. At the time, none of us could stand Whit. But, looking back on it, the guy was a driver. He and his team put a ton of pressure on us right up to the final in Vegas when we won the championship on a pedal fest. We KNEW it was gonna come down to a playoff @ Pomona. As a person who says things the way they are myself, I know where Whit is coming from. If you are wired that way, it is not so easy to keep your mouth shut. At least you know where you stand with guys like us! Lots of respect from a former crew guy who raced against him!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back