Texas City Names (1 Viewer)

In the "Out of Country" section, don't forget my home town of Palestine, (we pronounce it Pal-es-teen). It's the big town that Tennessee Colony is part of. TC is also where the major employer of this area is, the 5 State Prison units, lol. Still a pretty nice place to live.

Ahhhh.........ya smell that? That there is the smell of prison lovin'!!!!

I always say that when we pass by the prison in Huntsville! I am not right!!!

I drove through Woman Hollering,TX when I worked an IHRA event east of San Antonio earlier this year. ...not sure I want to hear the story behind that one. :p

There's a guy who races Stock in Div 4 who lives in Toad Suck, AR. I asked him how the town got that name, and all he told me was, there was alcohol involved. ;)

My parents live in Omaha, Texas. It's probably the Spotted Ass capitol of the world. The last time I was there I counted 50 spotted asses in the back yard and I wasn't counting any family members! They have had over a hundred at one time....

My parents live in Omaha, Texas. It's probably the Spotted Ass capitol of the world. The last time I was there I counted 50 spotted asses in the back yard and I wasn't counting any family members! They have had over a hundred at one time....

OMG!!!! A Beeracuda Sighting!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Tokio, TX is right up the road from my place. Near the town of West (the place on 35 with the kolaches)

We always have to make a stop there and I am soooo excited that the Turkey Shop is open again! I thought I was going to die when it closed. We also have to stop at "Health Camp" for some greazy fries and a malt! That makes the road trip to Austin so much better!

We always have to make a stop there and I am soooo excited that the Turkey Shop is open again! I thought I was going to die when it closed. We also have to stop at "Health Camp" for some greazy fries and a malt! That makes the road trip to Austin so much better!

Don't forget to stop at George's for a "Big O"!

if it wasn't already mentioned there is also Atlanta, Cleveland, Dayton, Pittsburg, Uncertian, Chapel Hill, Peace and Love too, I work near Whitehouse which was mentioned and also live near Kilgore which is my Favorite city in Texas. Actually I live in Overton which is next to New London which Suzie mentioned, Here is a little piece of History, in 1937 the worst tragedy to happen on US soil untill 9-11 was the school explosion at the London School, a natural gas leak in the basement ignited at 3:45PM killing nearly 400 Students and Teachers. There is a memorial set up in the town square with all the names on it, the list is from kindergarten to 12th grade and the Teachers and Admin too, even a few unfortunate guests. It was during this event that Walter Cronkite got His break as a news journalist, He was a young reporter from Houston so He was sent to New London to cover the story on Radio, that was his big break and He went on to become a legend in news journalism, it is also what led to legislation requiring suppliers of natural gas to put a distinct oder into gas for detection as natural gas has no oder, it is oderless and colorless. A bit of History, if ever in East Texas a short drive down Tx highway 42 off Interstate 20 will be worth it.

Last edited:
Don't forget to stop at George's for a "Big O"!

I have never in my life eaten at Health Camp lol, but I could live at George's if necessary. I kinda enjoy living in the big town of Waco. Drive an hour either way and you can go to Dallas Fort Worth or Austin. Get real bored and San Antonio is right down the street from Austin. But, there is absoultely nothing to do here in town.

Hey Kenny. I grew up in Palestine, and my special birthday present to myself every year was to go to Kigore to The Tavern for the best ribs on the planet. I heard that the recipe has changed a bit lately and they aren't as good now. I have been working in South Florida for the last year, and would give anything for some Texas style Bar-B-Q. (They don't even have Jalapenos here.) Please tell me its still there and worth a drive, it will be one of the first places I go when (if ever) I get back.

Small world. Around this time last year my job had me near Kenny's, so we met at the Tavern for those world famous ribs. Turns out they close the week of the 4th! That's unfinished business as far as I'm concerned! :D

Tom, the recipe is still the same and the ribs are still as good as ever. I live exactly 7 miles to the "Tavern" and enjoy them at least every month or so, I have always said that if I really put my mind to it I can make ribs as good or sometimes better than thiers......but thiers are always consistantly good, the best I've ever had. And when Ron comes through again He will hopefully get to try them as well.

Tom, remember the "Coffee Landing" in Coffee City? (another unique name) it was a great seafood place! with three huge buffet's, all you could eat shrimp, crab legs, crawfish, flounder, catfish and just about anything else you can imagine....it burned to the ground last year, I was so sad, that was my once or twice a year place to indulge in the best seafood in this part of East Texas. Man I miss those fresh oysters on the half shell.......I'm gonna cry:(

I have never in my life eaten at Health Camp lol, but I could live at George's if necessary. I kinda enjoy living in the big town of Waco. Drive an hour either way and you can go to Dallas Fort Worth or Austin. Get real bored and San Antonio is right down the street from Austin. But, there is absoultely nothing to do here in town.

Mike, check out the "old old original Lone Star Tavern" in Bellmead, on Hwy 84 the Best Steaks in this World and Very good prices too! Excellant place to eat!

Yall sound like me almost! My wife says I plan our road trips around specific towns b/c of restaurants. I dont know what she's talking about but I know that when I head to our ranch in San Saba there's always the same stops on the way there and on the way back.

Way there: Texas Cafe for all you can eat catfish buffet before we get to Temple. They also have potato wedges smothered with cheese and onions. Yum!

There: Stop at Sante Fe Crossing, some great Texas BBQ and home of the best turkey I've ever ate!

Way back: Stop in Waller at Waller County Line BBQ for the best chopped beef sandwich around.

I can't believe nobody mentioned Dumbass, TX. Well it's actually spelled Dumas. On 287 up in the panhandle. One thing I really miss about Texas & Oklahoma is a great burger & ice cream chain called Braum's. They make all thier own dairy products, right out of the cows they own. I dated a chick who managed a store of thier's and one year we went up to the factory for a tour. It's entirely family owned, they have locations all over the region and thier ice cream & milk is the best I ever had. They have an impressive dairy operation. While they're milking the cows on the production line, all the cow poop is collected in long troughs and they refine it and use it as fuel to run thier massive HVAC and electrical system. Talk about self-sufficient!

Last edited:
I can't believe nobody mentioned Dumbass, TX. Well it's actually spelled Dumas. On 287 up in the panhandle. One thing I really miss about Texas & Oklahoma is a great burger & ice cream chain called Braum's. They make all thier own dairy products, right out of the cows they own. I dated a chick who managed a store of thier's and one year we went up to the factory for a tour. It's entirely family owned, they have locations all over the region and thier ice cream & milk is the best I ever had. They have an impressive dairy operation. While they're milking the cows on the production line, all the cow poop is collected in long troughs and they refine it and use it as fuel to run thier massive HVAC and electrical system. Talk about self-sufficient!

LOL, I guess I'm not the only one to jokingly refer to it as that on my way through there. Just like I call Missouri "Misery" for their rough roads.

As far as recipes go, there's a BBQ place in Greensboro, NC that makes hushpuppies that absolutely melt in your mouth! I'm not kidding, you'd never think something as stupid as a hushpuppy could taste that good. They spoon them in and each one looks like a big splatter. I've begged and begged them for the recipe, telling them I live hundreds of miles away and that they've got nothing to worry about. Each time they'd give me a different recipe and each time they've never even been close when we've tried it at home! :D

Braum's is based out of Tuttle, OK (about 40 miles from me) and you're right about the quality of their stuff, it's VERY good!

I've been through Dumas about a zillion times and will be through there again on Wednesday on my way to Colorado. I'm going to get a few days of fishing in with my brother before the onslaught of the back-to-school season. When we were growing up we'd always drive through Borger, TX so we could eat lunch at Sutphen's BBQ... that's one of my fondest memories of our annual summer Colorado vacations. There were some pretty funny names on that route, now that I think about it... Mobeetie, TX for instance.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back