Texas City Names (1 Viewer)

Well Bob beat me to it. I don't know about a town but the Toad Suck Lock and dam is named after the Toad Suck Ferry. It has a nice ring to it.
I believe Hoot and Holler Ky. is near Skunk Holler Ky.
Is Gun Barrel City Tx. near Cut an Shoot Tx.
Ron I don't know if anybody can beat those crawfish tail hush puppies Tony's seafood in Baton Rouge makes.
I wish you people hadn't started on the food cause I'm supposed to be on a diet and all this talk is killing me.
I go down I20 all the time so I'm gonna eat at the Tavern first chance I get.
Dixie cafes sponsors a sportsman dragster so I eat there in FW and the foods great.
The best though is the HWY 6 cafe in De Leon Tx.on guess what , Hwy 6 . duh!
If I'm lying I'm dying.
Also I never miss stopping at the cafe in Cameron Tx. at the Junc. of 36 and 77 . Forget the name but buffet style home cooked food and a great salad bar.
The Pecos Cafe in Carlsbad New Mexico is only open for breakfast and lunch but the food comes in red or green and mild med or hot .

Gun Barrel City is on Cedar Creek Lake, near the track at Seven Points. Used to be a happening place for Outlaw racing, haven't been there in years. Here's something else you guys back home are taking for granted that you should appreciate, Blue Bell Ice Cream. Can't be found in South Florida, no surprise. One of the hardest things about working on the road for so long is missing your favorite foods. Braums is great, and I would kill for a Whataburger or even a Sonic down here. Well, I have made myself hungry now, gotto go see what looks edible here, lol.

Gun Barrel City is on Cedar Creek Lake, near the track at Seven Points. Used to be a happening place for Outlaw racing, haven't been there in years. Here's something else you guys back home are taking for granted that you should appreciate, Blue Bell Ice Cream. Can't be found in South Florida, no surprise. One of the hardest things about working on the road for so long is missing your favorite foods. Braums is great, and I would kill for a Whataburger or even a Sonic down here. Well, I have made myself hungry now, gotto go see what looks edible here, lol.

I agree. You see how Larry likes to torture me up there because I haven't been able to get back to Tony's Seafood in Baton Rouge for years! What a place!

I remember being in Lubbock, Texas in my early twenties for the first time. I was sitting in a restaurant and asked the waitress if the BBQ was beef or pork. I'm not kidding! You'd think E. F. Hutton (for those of you who remember the commercials) had spoken! I had the whole place staring at me, and not nice stares, either. Whew!

Mike, check out the "old old original Lone Star Tavern" in Bellmead, on Hwy 84 the Best Steaks in this World and Very good prices too! Excellant place to eat!

Been a while but I have been there twice.

Heitmillers anybody? I heard they are building a second Heitmillers in Ennis right by the Motorplex...I dont that for sure though.

A supersonic jalapeno cheeseburger with tots and a rt 44 cherry limeade, pretty good fast food there, now I'm gettin' hungry:p

Last edited:
If I'm lying I'm dying. Also I never miss stopping at the cafe in Cameron Tx. at the Junc. of 36 and 77 . Forget the name but buffet style home cooked food and a great salad bar.

Larry if you check out my post above about the Texas Cafe (I believe thats what its called) with the all you can ate catfish, it happens to be in Cameron,TX so I do believe we are talking about the same place.

Anybody ever ate at the Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls? I love that place and eat there every year during the IHBA Marble Falls race....best breakfast, ever.

A supersonic jalapeno cheeseburger with tots and a rt 44 cherry limeade, pretty good fast food there, now I'm gettin' hungry:p

Don't forget the cheese on your tots & bacon on that burger and you've got my fave meal! :D

Oh, and Braums is my fave in North Texas and Oklahoma.....it's the shiznit!

Someone should start a thread about cities that are on/near borders and have names that are a combination of two state names, or a state and another country.

We've got Tennga. Been through Texarkana, Virgilina and Calexico a few times. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mexizona, LOL.

Larry if you check out my post above about the Texas Cafe (I believe thats what its called) with the all you can ate catfish, it happens to be in Cameron,TX so I do believe we are talking about the same place.
Yepper thats the place.
I might forget the name but I won't forget the food.

I remembered this thread when a friend emailed me a good one today... :p:D

It sure would help my 401(k) which took a small nose-dive this month, but somehow, I just don't think I could do that much winter...

Town name, Dildo in Newfoundland.

So I looked it up...

Dildo is located on Route 80, approximately 15 km from the Trans Canada Highway. It is thought that the community may have got its name from Spain or Portugal, or an algonquin tree, or the shape of the headland that forms the harbour. (uh-huh, who are they kidding? Someone had a really hairy sense of humor.)

This community is blessed with beautiful scenery and is an excellent place for whale watching!

Many of the original residents settled in Dildo because of the abundance of fish and whales. Fishing and whaling became their main stay and the backbone of the communities economy. Small business employs some residents while others work in nearby fish processing plants or commute to nearby communities for work.

The Tourism & Heritage industry is one of Dildo's fastest growing industries. (I wonder how many people travel up there to steal the town sign?)

Garbage is collected on a weekly basis for a fee of $75 per year
Community wells are available for a fee of $96 per year
Fire Protection Services - Seaside Volunteer Fire Department (7 km)

Average price of a three-bedroom bungalow: $35,000
Average rental cost of a house: $350 per month
Average rental cost of a two-bedroom apartment: $300 per month
Home heating sources available include wood, electric, oil, and propane.

Heres some more city names to ponder over:

Hooker, Oklahoma
Blue Ball, Delaware
Santa Claus, Georgia
Do Stop, Kentucky
Waterproof, Louisianna
Nimrod, Minnesota
Idiotville, Oregon
Coward, South Carolina
Who'd Thought It, Texas
Satans Kingdom, Vermont
Maggie's Nipples, Wyoming

Love the names. I have to say though that two city names that always crack me up are Sugartit and Rabbit Hash, both unincorporated towns in Kentucky near Cincinnati, OH.:)

This came to me today from an old friend. The email started with the same part that Suzie started the thread. When I read, I remembered and thought I would share the rest with all ya'll.
g'

Here is what Jeff Foxworthy has to say about folks from Texas ...
If someone in a Lowe's store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you may live in Texas ;
If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you may live in Texas ;
If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you may live in Texas ;
If 'Vacation' means going anywhere south of Dallas for the weekend, you may live in Texas;
If you measure distance in hours, you may live in Texas;
If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you may live in Texas ;
If you install security lights on your house and garage, but leave both unlocked, you may live in Texas ;
If you carry jumper cables in your car and your wife knows how to use them, you may live in Texas ;
If the speed limit on the highway is 55 mph -- you're going 80 and everybody's passing you, you may live in Texas ;
If you find 60 degrees 'a little chilly,' you may live in Texas ;
If you actually understand these jokes, and share them with all your Texas friends, you definitely live in Texas .

Here are some little known, very interesting facts about Texas :
1. Beaumont to El Paso : 742 miles,
2. Beaumont to Chicago : 770 miles.
3. El Paso is closer to California than to Dallas
4. World's first rodeo was in Pecos , July 4, 1883.
5. The Flagship Hotel in Galveston is the only hotel in North America built over water.
6. The Heisman Trophy was named after John William Heisman who was the first full-time coach at Rice University in Houston
7. Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other area in North America .
8. Aransas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America ’s only remaining flock of whooping cranes.
9. Jalapeno jelly originated in Lake Jackson in 1978.
10. The worst natural disaster in U.S. history was in 1900, caused by a hurricane, in which over 8,000 lives were lost on Galveston Island .
11. The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was ' Houston .'
12. King Ranch in South Texas is larger than Rhode Island .
13. Tropical Storm Claudette brought a U.S. rainfall record of 43' in 24 hours in and around Alvin in July of 1979.
14. Texas is the only state to enter the U.S. by TREATY, (known as the Constitution of 1845 by the Republic of Texas to enter the Union ) instead of by annexation. This allows the Texas Flag to fly at the same height as the U.S. Flag, and may divide into 5 states.
15. A Live Oak tree near Fulton is estimated to be 1500 years old.
16. Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.
17. Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. ~~~~~~There is no period in Dr Pepper.
18. Texas has had six capital cities: Washington -on- the Brazos, Harrisburg , Galveston , Velasco, West Columbia and Austin .
19. The Capitol Dome in Austin is the only dome in the U.S. which is taller than the Capitol Building in Washington DC (by 7 feet).
20. The name ' Texas ' comes from the Hasini Indian word 'tejas' meaning friends. Tejas is not Spanish for Texas
21. The State Mascot is the Armadillo (an interesting bit of trivia about the armadillo is they always have four babies. They have one egg, which splits into four, and they either have four males or four females).
22. The first domed stadium in the U.S. was the Astrodome in Houston .

Cowboy's Ten Commandments posted on the wall at Cross Trails Church in Fairlie , Texas :
(1) Just one God.
(2) Honor yer Ma & Pa.
(3) No telling tales or gossipin'.
(4) Git yourself to Sunday meeting.
(5) Put nothin' before God.
(6) No foolin' around with another fellow's gal.
(7) No killin'.
(8) Watch yer mouth.
(9) Don't take what ain't yers.
(10) Don't be hankerin' for yer buddy's stuff

Now that's kinda plain an' simple don't ya think?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back