Teams can make all the 2013 changes he wants... (1 Viewer)

NHRA should make the fuel classes sleeve em back down to 400 cubic inches (or give them the option of changing the stroke) and cut nitro loads back 15%. I think the crewchiefs could work with that, and given better cylinder sealing, the engines might stay together longer (say, maybe a QUARTER MILE? ;) )

I am sure the valve locations wouldn't accommodate a smaller bore.

I am sure the valve locations wouldn't accommodate a smaller bore.

I was thinking that too, but you could notch the bores for valve clearance, or reduce the valve head diameter allowed. To keep them from melting, the top ring lands in Top Fuel pistons are pretty low compared to other types of engines, so ring interference shouldn't be a problem...

Destroking the motors would drive RPM's sky high, so that wouldn't be better than smaller bore size. If rules were enacted to shrink cubic inches and valve size, then supercharger pulley ratios and fuel delivery would shrink as a result.
They may also have to get in the clutch can and limit some of that stuff as well. You take away clutch discs and clamping power, and will you have to go easy on your combo or risk blowing the tires off.

And I'm sure GoodYear wouldn't mind less stress on their tires...;)

Nitromater...where everyone has all the answers.

I think the point is that if even fans know how to slow the cars down, why after all their "testing" (the 413 spec motor, etc.) can't NHRA figure it out? Surely the guys who make them go fast also know what keeps them from going fast, and could advise NHRA. The answer, of course, is that NHRA doesn't want to slow them down and return to 1320.

Nitromater...where everyone has all the answers.

What I find pretty funny is this thread started having nothing to do with 1320 vs. 1000 ft and the related. It was only suppose to be about IYO what kind of performance will be needed to finish anywhere near the top ten. Good point made I admit is if everybody was given a "fixed number" before a part can be replaced (unless the part gets destroyed) could even benefit your team. I can only imagine the difference in parts budget between teams that replace for performance edge and teams that replace simply because it's time and can't afford to replace before maximum wear.

What I find pretty funny is this thread started having nothing to do with 1320 vs. 1000 ft and the related. It was only suppose to be about IYO what kind of performance will be needed to finish anywhere near the top ten. .

The first post mentioned how it was nice to see some of the new teams do as well as they did, and the second post mentioned that the "monkey wrench" of the NHRA changing rules to slow everyone down could hurt those teams' progress. My suggestions to slow down the cars were ideas I had that possibly wouldn't hurt those teams as much as major changes to the "tune up" would. Going back to 1320 would just be a nice side effect.....

I really enjoyed watching Steve Torrence do well in TF and AJ winning Pro Stock
party-smiley-020.gif

If I were going to play the game of penalizing for parts attrition, I would do it by docking points for replacing certain parts. The penalty for an oil down would be larger than the penalty for replacing key parts (because an oil down penalizes the fans).

Teams would push the parts beyond reasonable limits creating possible safety problems and excessive oil downs. IMO this is not a workable solution.

What I find pretty funny is this thread started having nothing to do with 1320 vs. 1000 ft and the related...................
Sorry Patrick.....sure couldn't tell by the thread title what this thread was started for............:eek:

I think the point is that if even fans know how to slow the cars down, why after all their "testing" (the 413 spec motor, etc.) can't NHRA figure it out? Surely the guys who make them go fast also know what keeps them from going fast, and could advise NHRA. The answer, of course, is that NHRA doesn't want to slow them down and return to 1320.
The vast majority of the teams don't want to go back to 1320 either. It's never going back for Nitro racing.

The vast majority of the teams don't want to go back to 1320 either. It's never going back for Nitro racing.

I disagree ... with all things being equal (costs and safety), I don't think the teams would mind going back to the full quarter. But, I do agree that there doesn't seem to be any groundswell of support from inside the organization to return to the full quarter for the nitro cars, so the thousand foot era will continue for the forseeable future no matter what the teams and fans want anyway.

I disagree ... with all things being equal (costs and safety), I don't think the teams would mind going back to the full quarter. But, I do agree that there doesn't seem to be any groundswell of support from inside the organization to return to the full quarter for the nitro cars, so the thousand foot era will continue for the forseeable future no matter what the teams and fans want anyway.

It's the insurance. That's why we'll never go back. I've talked to many top teams. Many like 1000ft. and many would go back to 1320 as long as it is safe; some will never go back if 1320 returned. Fans are 1/2 and 1/2 on the issue and Lance's comment below unfortunately will continue for 2013. The biggest issue the sport has right now is not 1320 or 1000, it's getting people actually to the nationals. I love nitro cars, I am going to go whether my eyes got stripped of an extra 320 feet or not. This sport needs new fans that go to experience the cars power. Not the distance, but the sound, feel, sight and smell.

Keep all the same everything as is today. Parts, tires , chassis, rules, etc. Give em the full % of the can back to play with. Go back to 1320 slowed down to the 4.70 range 300+.

Do it all with a 'company' issued restrictor plate. Easy to police and catch any 'funny business'. Done for minimal cost of the plate.

Save a ton on parts for everyone, level the playing field immediately.

Speeds increase? Cars get to quick again? Take more air away.

Keep all the same everything as is today. Parts, tires , chassis, rules, etc. Give em the full % of the can back to play with. Go back to 1320 slowed down to the 4.70 range 300+.

Do it all with a 'company' issued restrictor plate. Easy to police and catch any 'funny business'. Done for minimal cost of the plate.

Save a ton on parts for everyone, level the playing field immediately.

Speeds increase? Cars get to quick again? Take more air away.

You're on to something. Speeds increase you could even take wing outta it.

It's the insurance. That's why we'll never go back. [snip]

Agreed, but isn't speed the issue with the insurance company? I believe Shoe's 337 was the fastest 1/4 mile speed, and we saw 334 run this year in 1000 feet. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Leaving the shutdown distance out of the equation for now, what's the difference? (Yes, I know ... 3 :D) What I'm getting at is if the insurance company deems speeds in the 330 mph range too fast, what difference does it make what distance it is reached in? Or in other words, will they soon say 1000 feet is too long because you can go 330?

Agreed, but isn't speed the issue with the insurance company? I believe Shoe's 337 was the fastest 1/4 mile speed, and we saw 334 run this year in 1000 feet. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Leaving the shutdown distance out of the equation for now, what's the difference? (Yes, I know ... 3 :D) What I'm getting at is if the insurance company deems speeds in the 330 mph range too fast, what difference does it make what distance it is reached in? Or in other words, will they soon say 1000 feet is too long because you can go 330?

I believe the speeds are more of an issue with Goodyear than insurance companies...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back