Teams can make all the 2013 changes he wants... (1 Viewer)

Rat

Nitro Member
Teams can make all the 2013 changes "he" wants...

IMO it be nice to see new teams be a legit threat...but I think they are gonna need alot more power for 2013. I think this next season will be huge for FC and TF meaning if you wanna make statement you are gonna have to run at least a 4.02 when everyone is going faster. I think to finish in the tenth spot in points next year your season best e.t better be a 4.05 and normally. In TF I think to finish in the top ten you are gonna need your season best e.t better be a 3.80 and normally. The class is getting so good you are not gonna win many rounds if you don't run a .70 every once and a while.

Last edited:
That is unless the NHRA decides to throw a wrench into the works to try to slow them down, which I think will be a mistake. The cost involved will surely force out some teams.

That is unless the NHRA decides to throw a wrench into the works to try to slow them down, which I think will be a mistake. The cost involved will surely force out some teams.

Two pulleys and a crew chief that knows how to tune for 20% blower overdrive. That's basically all it takes.

I don't see it happening, short of some major calamity, which of course none of us want to see.

Patrick:

Forgive me for not following you, but what do the two "and normally" phrases mean in your original post? e.g. "your season best e.t better be a 4.05 and normally."

I didn't understand the title either ...

Jeff

Last edited:
Don't forget folks, we had several races with OUTSTANDING conditions. Many career bests, quickest ever fields, tons of new records. I doubt we see that much improvement.

NHRA should make the fuel classes sleeve em back down to 400 cubic inches (or give them the option of changing the stroke) and cut nitro loads back 15%. I think the crewchiefs could work with that, and given better cylinder sealing, the engines might stay together longer (say, maybe a QUARTER MILE? ;) )

Sounds all good and dandy but you could restrict them to a one cylinder briggs and stratton and they will figure out how to still blow them up.

NHRA should make the fuel classes sleeve em back down to 400 cubic inches (or give them the option of changing the stroke) and cut nitro loads back 15%. I think the crewchiefs could work with that, and given better cylinder sealing, the engines might stay together longer (say, maybe a QUARTER MILE? ;) )

The top teams are going to move away in performance from the lower teams now more then ever. The off track R&D leading to on track performance gains with new heads, blower, and clutch technology (and whatever else) is making a huge difference. I'd love to know how many hours have been spent on the clutch and blower dynos at DSR/JFR since the season has ended.

When is the last time there was a big test session in December??? PBIR is going to be a busy place before Christmas!! Several teams are headed there to get a jump on 2013, becasue they don't want to wait for the week of the regular PRO test.

I worked on the Winston team as the data acq guy. At the end of one year, AJ said that the next year we would run the same block the entire weekend. The next year around Atlanta time and changing many blocks, I asked him about it. He said we were so good changing short blocks in and out of the car on sundays it didn't matter.

If you want to really see who are the great tuners, limit teams to X amount of short decks. By no means am I busting Aj's balls with that comment. Just saying that if you want to bring the smaller funded teams into the mix and help the real tuners shine, limit the part usage.

I said "might"....

but I would pay big to go see them let the junior dragsters run 90% nitro and blow them up!:p

I worked on the Winston team as the data acq guy. At the end of one year, AJ said that the next year we would run the same block the entire weekend. The next year around Atlanta time and changing many blocks, I asked him about it. He said we were so good changing short blocks in and out of the car on sundays it didn't matter.

If you want to really see who are the great tuners, limit teams to X amount of short decks. By no means am I busting Aj's balls with that comment. Just saying that if you want to bring the smaller funded teams into the mix and help the real tuners shine, limit the part usage.

Why not make them run Sunday with the block they qualified with? No block changes during eliminations.

The problem with limiting parts usage, is now you're introducing a bunch of single passes on raceday. No one wants to pay to see that.

The problem with limiting parts usage, is now you're introducing a bunch of single passes on raceday. No one wants to pay to see that.

And limited qualifying passes. If someone's FC lays down a 4.02 on Friday night, don't expect to see them running on Saturday.

Two pulleys, people. Two pulleys.

Sounds all good and dandy but you could restrict them to a one cylinder briggs and stratton and they will figure out how to still blow them up.

Yup.... It's really not that hard once you figure out how to totally screw up... :D

DragsterBlownMotor3-05040.jpg

Patrick:

Forgive me for not following you, but what do the two "and normally" phrases mean in your original post? e.g. "your season best e.t better be a 4.05 and normally."

I didn't understand the title either ...

Jeff

It's what I feel it's going to take for any team to have a good season meaning top 10 contender at the minimum.

I agree with limiting parts usage. I remember it was one of Beckman's runs where going in to 4th session they put a new fuel pump on the car and went to # 1, I forget where. Seriously tho, Block or fuel pump, we limit the parts replacements for explosions only and not for performance edge's, we may have something there.

Remember the good old days when Eddie "The Thrill" Hill and Fuzzy Carter said their tune up was so good, they left the cylinder heads on their motor during eliminations?

IMG_5870.jpg

Last edited:
I think NHRA likes the way things are going. The racing is getting closer all the time and as the guy who posts on here in red and hopfully NHRA's next announcer said a while back that tire size will be the limiting factor. More teams are going to close in on the top teams because the tires are only going to hold so much clutch. So low 4's in FC and 3.7's in TF are going to be run by more teams if track temps are there. Like the count down or not the racing will be closer every year and NHRA is not going back to 1320 racing any time soon.

The top teams are going to move away in performance from the lower teams now more then ever. The off track R&D leading to on track performance gains with new heads, blower, and clutch technology (and whatever else) is making a huge difference. I'd love to know how many hours have been spent on the clutch and blower dynos at DSR/JFR since the season has ended.

When is the last time there was a big test session in December??? PBIR is going to be a busy place before Christmas!! Several teams are headed there to get a jump on 2013, becasue they don't want to wait for the week of the regular PRO test.

for sure paul......hopefully kalitta there too (at either session) with one or
two or many of their F1 acquaintances to witness before their 2013 season
gets rolling

I think NHRA likes the way things are going. The racing is getting closer all the time and as the guy who posts on here in red and hopfully NHRA's next announcer said a while back that tire size will be the limiting factor. More teams are going to close in on the top teams because the tires are only going to hold so much clutch. So low 4's in FC and 3.7's in TF are going to be run by more teams if track temps are there. Like the count down or not the racing will be closer every year and NHRA is not going back to 1320 racing any time soon.

And the racing will be even closer when they eventually go to 1/8th mile :(

Again limiting pulleys, fuel pump, CID wont keep these guys from blowing **** up!!! If they know they can only run x% of nitro, OD etc, they just push it elsewhere like compression. All of the limits on nitro OD etc create a scenario where they will need to spend money on R&D to get back the power that was lost.

You limit them to amount of parts and you will see the truly brilliant crew chiefs. Plus you let more guys in the door because they know they aren't going to have to race guys with unlimited amounts of money sacrificed for performance ie blowing up parts.

Two pulleys, people. Two pulleys.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back