T/F F/C.....Get rid of throttle stops. Lets see real burnouts. Better than P/S (1 Viewer)

Our Nitro barrel valves are like on off switches, idle or full fuel. I am going to enroll in the Minick school of burnouts and RT clinic..I want my dollar back

I would bet that the current crop of fuel drivers could adapt to most changes, including no throttle stops on burnouts.
I would hope so, but the younger ones I feel would blow it up once or twice. Hell Pat Austin blew it up. The burnout is part of drag racing and anything can happen!

Our Nitro barrel valves are like on off switches, idle or full fuel. I am going to enroll in the Minick school of burnouts and RT clinic..I want my dollar back

I haven't done a non throttle stop burnout since 2013.....I probably suck to high heaven at it these days. RTs are still on point though :)

I would bet that the current crop of fuel drivers could adapt to most changes, including no throttle stops on burnouts.

I'd take that bet! I doubt but a handful could do it and maybe even not. Its hard to explain but without it running the pedal seems pretty normal. With it running it takes more force than you would think to break it open, but once it starts to move, there is not much resistance and moving it an 1/8" is probably like a 1-2000rpm up or down. Alcohol and nostalgia, no problem...big show, BIG problem lol I think the only one in the last few years that would still do it was Tony P and you could tell from a 1/4 mile away or the pits when he was doing a burnout.

I'd take that bet! I doubt but a handful could do it and maybe even not. Its hard to explain but without it running the pedal seems pretty normal. With it running it takes more force than you would think to break it open, but once it starts to move, there is not much resistance and moving it an 1/8" is probably like a 1-2000rpm up or down. Alcohol and nostalgia, no problem...big show, BIG problem lol I think the only one in the last few years that would still do it was Tony P and you could tell from a 1/4 mile away or the pits when he was doing a burnout.

Force was one of the last of the hold outs until Coil put him in a head lock.

if u take the throttle stop off to do a burnout the motor will over rev and it will take out the rear main
the throttle stop was made for a fuel car to make it easier on the driver and the parts
just like the blower restraints and the bottom end blanket everything is there for a reason right

happy holidays !!! :)

Well Jeff you would know better than I would! I forgot that the pedal these days has so little travel, it must be extremely tricky to give any gradual “feed” to the throttle.

More driver should be involved and taking the throttle stops off would be a good start, drivers would adapt to it as the good ones always do..........
Let it begin again. LOL

More driver should be involved and taking the throttle stops off would be a good start, drivers would adapt to it as the good ones always do..........
Let it begin again. LOL

Hey Jerry,
Do you really want to trade the exciting racing we have right now for a few muffed burnouts? I just went back and looked at the World Finals Top Fuel ladder. Starting in the second round these are the losing times for the rest of the day.
2nd rd. Crampton 3.753 @323.81, Torrence 3.695 @328.46, Millican 3.698 @328.38, Pritchett 3.714 @320.20
Semis Brown 3.677 @329.34, Kalitta 3.703 @331.04 Then Langdon smoked um in the final.

Those were the losing times of a spectacular race, are you seriously saying that the fans would see a better show if a couple of them had banged the blower or knocked the clutch out during the burnout? I like races decided by what happens during the race, not warming up for it. But that's just me..... LoL

Alan

Hey Jerry,
Do you really want to trade the exciting racing we have right now for a few muffed burnouts? I just went back and looked at the World Finals Top Fuel ladder. Starting in the second round these are the losing times for the rest of the day.
2nd rd. Crampton 3.753 @323.81, Torrence 3.695 @328.46, Millican 3.698 @328.38, Pritchett 3.714 @320.20
Semis Brown 3.677 @329.34, Kalitta 3.703 @331.04 Then Langdon smoked um in the final.

Those were the losing times of a spectacular race, are you seriously saying that the fans would see a better show if a couple of them had banged the blower or knocked the clutch out during the burnout? I like races decided by what happens during the race, not warming up for it. But that's just me..... LoL

Alan
The sport needs something, unfortunately. Taking throttle stops (as I have stated) would put more of the driver back in the car. If you have the car set up right, and have a driver that can do a burnout without a throttle stop it shouldn't affect the run Alan. Its a thought and as we all know you cant make everybody happy.

Hey Jerry,

Alan
[/QU

The sport needs something, unfortunately. Taking throttle stops (as I have stated) would put more of the driver back in the car. If you have the car set up right, and have a driver that can do a burnout without a throttle stop it shouldn't affect the run Alan. Its a thought and as we all know you cant make everybody happy.
Hope you have been well Alan. Been a long time.

Hey Jerry,

Alan

Besides, didn't Derick Kramer's (and anyone else in the burnout competitions this year) times fall off after wowing the crowds with an extended burnout? I'm trying to remember if Force did one in the Finals....with same result

Dry hops and no throttle stops were cool in the 70's and 80's and thats where it should stay. I would much rather watch close side by side racing any day. I dont really understand why the sport needs something? The cars a lot quicker and faster than they were back then.

Dry hops and no throttle stops were cool in the 70's and 80's and thats where it should stay. I would much rather watch close side by side racing any day. I dont really understand why the sport needs something? The cars a lot quicker and faster than they were back then.
What was the biggest part of the car then? The driver! Of course times have changed but you get my point of the driver being put back in the car?

Would taking the stops off improve the show in any way or put more fans in stands? NOPE.

I also find it hilarious that a national event winning driver with hundreds of laps in a nitro flopper says it would be a bad idea, and people basically ignore it.

Jerry,

It has been a while. I am well, thanks for asking. Hope you are too. The simple fact is that the sport (like everything) has evolved. And the path to success is eliminating as many variables as possible.

The racing is better today in part because the cars are more predictable. If you as crew chief are planning to make a change to the clutch of two grams and your driver makes a long burnout and heats the engine and clutch up another 25 degrees then what you as a crew chief were trying to achieve was just ruined by the driver.

One reason the throttle whack doesn't happen anymore (except for Scott Palmer) is because it couldn't be done consistently. Hit it one time and the engine goes 6,800 RPM the next time it revs to 7,400 and the two gram change doesn't have the same effect.

Bob,
John Force did do a long burnout to celebrate Brittany's Championship, he then made the run and shut the car of early fearing it would run out of fuel and blow up.

Alan

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back