Sport Compact at US Nationals (1 Viewer)

Bottle

Nitro Member
Just giving a heads up for those that care.

The PRO RWD and PRO FWD cars will be racing at US Nationals.

after the US nationals we will be going to the Dallas race as well.

After that Sport compact races
Englishtown and then Pomona

Titan also plans on going to some PSCA races as well before the end of the year.

I enjoy watching those cars run, but seeing only 2-3 cars is embarrassing. Now if each class had 7-8 it would be more enjoyable IMO.

Definitely check out PRO FWD. This class has come a long way in the past few years. There will be 6 cars there, and 4 of them have run quicker than 7.3 at 200+ MPH. This class should be very exciting. There is talk of the first 6 second FWD pass happening at this race, have to wait and see.

Definitely check out PRO FWD. This class has come a long way in the past few years. There will be 6 cars there, and 4 of them have run quicker than 7.3 at 200+ MPH. This class should be very exciting. There is talk of the first 6 second FWD pass happening at this race, have to wait and see.

I know a lot of people do not like the FWD cars. But after people see them they will have to admit they are fast and admire the guys for making FWD cars go over 200mph

Pretty tasteless comment from whomever writes the results on NHRA.com. This is what they wrote after 2nd round of qualifying for ProFWD:

The front wheel drive cars were underwhelming so hopefully these guys will put on a better show for the fans still in the stands.

Here is the qualifying latter as of 3rd round:
1. Gary Gardella '07 Cobalt 7.156@ 201.91
2. Marty Ladwig '07 Cobalt 7.175 199.97
3. Jason Hunt '07 Cobalt 7.190 200.59
4. Chris Rado '07 tC 7.348 193.60
5. Ed Bergenholtz '06 MX-6 7.845 185.00
6. Bryan Jimenez '07 Cobalt 8.070 172.78

Those top 4 cars are flying, fwd, rwd, whatever drive. Just wrong discount what these teams are doing.

p.s congrats to titan for running a 6.42 w/ the restrictions...

Last edited:
Pretty tasteless comment from whomever writes the results on NHRA.com. This is what they wrote after 2nd round of qualifying for ProFWD:

The front wheel drive cars were underwhelming so hopefully these guys will put on a better show for the fans still in the stands.

Those top 4 cars are flying, fwd, rwd, whatever drive. Just wrong discount what these teams are doing.

I drive an RX-8 so I have nothing against imports, but the RX-8 is rear wheel drive....as should any proper race car be...:D

I'm the one responsible for the statement, and I stand by it. I am sorry that it strikes you as tasteless. It's not a matter of taste at all as I really like the SC cars if nothing other than for the great technology.

But if the class is going to gain widespread appeal, it's going to have to do a heck of a lot better putting on a show for the people watching. My reference to underwhelming had nothing to do with the performance of the cars in that session that made it to the finish line under power. Unfortunately, that was equal to two cars out of the six running.

The night session last evening in RWD was another example.

I'd love to see the class enter the mainstream and get the acceptance it deserves. But whatever it takes to get some sort of consistency along with a decent car count is an absolute necessity for that to happen.

I echo Dan's comments. I have watched these SC's since the beginning, and while I am intrigued by their performance, I am equally unimpressed by their lack of consistency. Very, very seldom do you actually see two cars race side-by-side. Plus, after all these years haven't these guys figured out how to get these things to leave the starting line? Just look at the RT's and you get some idea of how poor these cars work in the first 60 feet. I can understand some of the problems with the FWD cars, but the RWD cars are using old world technology, and their lack of consistency is baffling. Yes, they have an abundance of power, but drag racing is more than just building power; it's making use of that power. And in this respect these guys just don't measure up.

Pat

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back