Some thoughts on Scott... (1 Viewer)

Mike Henkelman

Nitro Member
A while ago a friend and I were kicking around the way we want to check out of this joint. I said I wanted to get shot by a 26 year old blonds husband when I'm 95 years old ranting about how I love her. Hopefully people will remember that I made them laugh, and tell stories about me for years to come.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Funny Car drivers are a different breed. They remind me of the astronauts from the '60s back in the Gemeni days when you would take a guy and strap him in to a nuclear missile that said "space ship" on the side in black Sharpie. Back in the days of John Glenn, Alan Sheppard, Niel Armstrong...the list goes on. Funny Car drivers are alot like those guys. While some people (like me) say "You are friggin' nuts." they just smile and say "where do I get in this thing!" We used to give them names like "The Mongoose" and "The Snake." Scott would have been "The Incredible Hulk" because he was a total bad ass.

If you were to look up "Funny Car Driver" in the dictionary, there would be a picture of Scott there. He wasn't worried about what people thought, always shot strait with you, and wasn't really afraid of anyone. Period. The kind of guy you want standing next to you in a dark alley when someone asks for your wallet. (By the way, Im not that guy. Ill take your wallet and hand it to them after I give them your moms social security number.)

We all have a number of days in front of us. And we can hide in a bomb shelter and wait for the end, or we can go live our lives to the fullest. I smile when I think that he probably lived four lives in 46 years, and while he got totally short changed....he did it his way. I would love to possess that kind of courage and determination.

I don't know who's at fault. It's like us to try and find meaning in instances like this. I don't know if the shutdown area needs to be addressed. I don't know if their is a brick wall (!?!?!) at the end of the drag strip (if there was, the list of people that need a kick in the nuts will be LONG) but I hope the powers that be will address the issue.

I was numb for two days after the incident. I don't know about you guys, but it left me disoriented. If anyone has any good Scotty stories, I would love to hear some. Because I really wish I knew him better.

Here is to hoping he went to a place that allows 100% nitro, and as much overdrive as you can fit between the frame rails. God Speed Scott, we love you.

We all have a number of days in front of us. And we can hide in a bomb shelter and wait for the end, or we can go live our lives to the fullest. I smile when I think that he probably lived four lives in 46 years, and while he got totally short changed....he did it his way. I would love to possess that kind of courage and determination.

Mike,

I don't know you, and I didn't know Scott. I enjoyed and agreed with everything in your post, but this particular paragraph was spot on. I say it again and again to anyone who's willing to listen: When God decides it's your turn, it's going to be your turn - no matter what you're doing, or where you're doing it. You might as well go out doing something you love... just like Scott did. He didn't miss the dance, he led it. Godspeed, Scott, we'll all miss you.

I don't know who's at fault.

I don't know if their is a brick wall (!?!?!) at the end of the drag strip (if there was, the list of people that need a kick in the nuts will be LONG) but I hope the powers that be will address the issue.

I know you were very emotional when you wrote this post... & I know you are speaking from your heart... We all loved and will miss Scott...

However please "DON'T" even insinuate that the management at E Town was even partially at fault!

I race there and they are The Most Safety Conscious track I've ever raced at...

(example) They have a track employee stationed past the finish line to make sure drivers are not unbuckling their helmet, or opening their windows BEFORE exiting the racing surface... They (E Town) take SAFETY very seriously...

However at a National event like the one they just had, safety is NOT in the tracks authority its in NHRA's hands.. NHRA makes all the rules, and decides where spectators can and can not go...

If the track was to short ( and its NOT.. its longer than most) NHRA should have told the Napps, & I KNOW any discrepancy would have been taken care of before the 1st car ran down the track on Thursday..

So when you say "People need to be kicked in the nuts" I hope your not referring to Raceway Parks Employees or Management..

Thanks for listening... off my soap Box..

Hey Mike, Long time Great post!

Even though I had spoken to Scott on a few occasions, I really didn't know him. The only real conversation I had with him was at the Indianapolis Motor speedway museum in 2004. That was the year they had 8" of rain flood the city, postponing the U.S. Natls! I was walking through where all the past winning cars were, and this guy was standing next to me. And without even looking at him I spout out "I wonder if any of these cars still run!" The guy next to me responds saying "I doubt it!" Turns out that guy was Scott Kalitta. Like most drivers, he was very different than when you see them at the Dragstrip when they tend to be under a lot more pressure. He was talking about a return to the sport then! Hard to believe that was already 4 years ago! Godspeed my friend!

Last edited:
Mike, great reading! I had been thinking all day at work about writing something about my recollections of Scott, and your words gave me the prod I needed to do it. I don't have anything spectacular but just some little memories that come to mind.

I only saw him in person twice, both times at the Southern Nationals. The first time I saw Scott on TV, can't remember the year but he was driving a funny car. I remember when he climbed out of the car for the interview, he pulled off his fire suit down to his waist, revealing a bare, heavily muscled chest and arms. The first time I saw him at the Southern Nationals was in 1996, I believe. I was on the spectator side when Scott did the burnout in the right lane with his T/F dragster. For some reason he lost fire before backing up. He was furious as he got out and slammed his racing gloves into the cockpit. I was impressed that a driver was that passionate about what he was doing. In 2005 I was wandering through the pits at the Atlanta race and saw Scott riding his motor scooter at a pretty good clip. Just when he was about to pass by me, a spectator, looking the other way, stepped right in front of him. He locked up the brakes and came to a stop with the rear wheel coming off the ground. I was expecting to hear some choice words from him but he just shook his head and continued on his way.

RIP Champ!

Wayne.

Mike - Very nice! I've been thinking the exact same thoughts about Scott for the past two days. I didn't know Scott personally, but having been involved with NHRA drag racing for over 30 years, I've always been impressed with both Connie and Scott. Since Scott was about my age, I've watched him "grow up" at the same clip as me. It didn't appear that Connie "gave" anything to Scott, he had to earn it. And earn it, he did!

If there is one thing I try and take away from someone's "early departure", it's to try and live life to it's fullest, each and every day. Scott sure seemed to live that way, and we can all learn a lot about living life to it's fullest from guys like him.

Godspeed, Scott....

Thanks for those stories guys, they made me smile. Keep them coming.

John, I think you can read my post and see the words "I don't know who's at fault. I don't know if there is a brick wall at the end of the track." Im not pointing blame. Its a miracle that NHRA can send these cars to the finish line thousands of times without injury. The safety safari has pulled my father from burning funny cars on several occasions, one that included a life flight in the helicopter when a clutch explosion blew the heal of his foot off. And I can't tell you how many times they've gone chasing after David (Baca) to put out a fire on the Top Fuel car. No matter what we do, Mr. Murphy from "Murphy's Law" fame will always try and tag along for a run to set the body on fire, or try to keep the chutes from deploying, or knock the rear wing off. But it is up to NHRA and the teams to collectively find ways of screwing Murphy over to try and keep these cars as safe as possible.

I have no ideas or opinions on how to do that. Ill leave that to the leaders of the sport. But for the record, I think any shutdown area with an eminent brick wall out there isn't the best idea. How about 50 rows thick of sand bags? Hell anything other then a solid immovable object.

Just my .02 cents. :eek:

I remember going to one of the Cajun Nationals in the early '80's. My brother and I were huge fans of Scotty's, and when we went by his pit, his car was no where to be found, only Connies. His mom was there then and we started talking to her asking where he was. "Oh he's at home building a funny car, he wants to go funny car racing." :D

Racing with Darrell Gwynn for almost 20 yrs. I had alot of fun with Scott and the gang. In 1993 we got the La Victoria sponsorship and Mike Dunn as our new driver and went to Cory Mac`s shop to get the trailer and race car painted and vinyl graphics on them both,at the same time at Cory`s shop
Scott and the Kalitta gang were there with Dick Lahaie as there new crew chief and it was funny because Dicko seemed to tip the race trailer of Scott`s on end and dump all the crap out and start all over with all new stuff
and that`s when all the jokes and games started with Cory`s crew and also with Scott`s and our Gwynn team.Scott was a funny guy once he got to know you and then watch out he was going to get you one way or the other.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back