Random thoughts (1 Viewer)

Sandman

Nitro Member
So I know this is the internet and no matter what, someone finds something to bitch about. But here's a couple observations about the state of our sport: when the super teams dominate (JFR, DSR) everyone is up in arms about how they are ruining racing for the little guy, as if not for them, we could all field a fuel car I guess. Well then here's something to discuss: isn't this something to see the bright side of? There's lots of cars out there I've never heard of and they are almost "one of us" in that some have day jobs and their buddies crew the car like the old days. Isn't that what we all claim to want anyway? Maybe there's not full fields but there's at least a chance for some new faces in the winners circle or maybe eke out a round win. Just trying to sprinkle a positive spin on the gloom and I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

I like the way you think. But facts are facts and campaigning an NHRA fuel car, even on a limited basis with less than optimal parts, is ridiculously expensive. Not a class for people with day jobs and weekend buddies with limited experience serving as crew members.

On the bright side, national events don't have to be a part of your drag racing interest in order to be enjoyable, whether it's competing or just taking the family to a Saturday night event at your local track. A once a year visit to the Texas Motorplex in October scratches my nitro itch - but I'd much rather spend the evening hanging with friends as they campaign their bracket bombers, grudge cars and no-prep competitions.

Carl, I used to love to go to the late Speedworld in Phoenix. Just to go to the drags, regardless of what was racing. They had a lot of circuit shows that were great racing. Wild Horse is OK, love the Divisionals & the Nat'l event, but it ain't the same.....

I don't really see gloom, with my own eye, but it seems as though every time I open this site, I see nothing good coming from everyone. I'll admit, I've said some negative stuff too. My point is, drag racers are smart, and there's more cars than most think. If you owned a T/F car, would you drag it halfway across the country to DNQ? But what if you thought you might sneak in since there's only 12 cars entered and the past couple events have only had 15 entrants. If you're in the show Sunday, you got a chance. My point is, the people that run their car as a business (you know, the smart ones. lol) only take it out when it's financially sound. But the little guys (as if anyone with a nitro car is a little guy) can afford to take a shot. Like Jim Dunn says the cost of racing hasn't changed, it takes everything you've got. This time is a good time to stop by an unknown racers pit and see a true racer that's doing what we all (me anyway) would love to do. No corporate stuff, no rehearsed interviews, nobody chasing points, just racers. You can always go stand in line for a JFR driver's sloppy ass signature, but I love watching the unlettered cars and crews and I've never seen more than right now.

That is one thing I miss about the Old Daze. You'd go out to the track for a T/F show and there would be a racer you've never heard of before. Q starts, & the guy runs low ET of the World (or something like that). That was so cool to see an "invader" from a far away place (like Salt Lake City) come to Lions & do well. Yep, I miss those days.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back